Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Predictions

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    I've been told the CFC has a nice magazine. Has anyone considered writing a EOCL article with a recent annotated game by one of your top players? If the EOCL wants to go it alone and provinde the newsletter you suggest, it should not be any problem to find someone to write a coherent article and annotate a game.
    Here's a quote of Aris Marghetis (EOCA President) from an old thread ('game analysis from the national capital open'); John Upper is a 2200+ master in the EOCA region:

"Hi there, John Upper has graciously compiled 29 pages worth of analysis of various games that he observed and collected scoresheets for at the National Capital Open last month.

It really is an impressive piece of work in such a short time, thank you very much John!

Some of these are being published as an article in the CFC newsletter, but if you would like the full 29 page PDF, please email myself (or I guess John) so that I can email you a copy.

All the best, Aris."

I (K.P.) wouldn't mind writing the odd article, but these days I have technical issues that would appear to bar me from writing one and having a properly finished product ready for the Internet/email. For those interested in such banalities, my computer is partitioned so that I have Windows '98 on one side, along with my chess software, such as ChessBase 8.0, and I have Windows XP on the other side of the partition, along with Internet/email (none on the Windows '98 side). I had trouble using my chess software on Windows XP, on my previous computer, hence my father, one of the family computer experts, did a partition of the latest computer that he kindly provided.

As my brother explained to me the other day, if we tried to have the Internet on a dinosaur like Windows '98, it would get picked on by modern viruses, etc., like a little kid with glowing red sneakers. Meanwhile, the version of MS Word for Windows '98 (which I had hoped to transfer CHessBase games/diagrams into to create a file for articles/books/newsletters, potentially, and then transfer them by CD or floppy to the Windows XP side of my partioned computer - albeit with crude chess diagrams only) is not compatible with a more modern non-DOS based MS word processing program such as Windows XP has. Moreover, if somehow I could transfer pgn files from ChessBase 8.0 to the other side of my partition, I have never been able to email them successfully in the past...
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 11th January, 2010, 11:41 AM.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re: OCA Newsletter

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      I'd be all for an OCA Newsletter. The question is: is there someone willing to do one for next to nothing? Or are the leagues willing to reduce their "cut" in order to fund a newsletter?
      I was the volunteer editor of an OCA newspaper which ran for 3 issues circa 1982. The first isues were the games (annotated) of the Ontario Closed. As the CFC magazine only gave a paragrapgh to each event, this was a place for larger coverage and games of average tournament players. There was major coverage of junior events, mainly by Chris Field. However, Jaeger (and the rest of the OCA Executive?) didn't like the huge postal costs.

I wouldn't recommend a printed newsletter today because of all the online opportunies for directors to post their results and players to post their games. Articles can be given to the CFC online magazine, or Scarbourgh Chess Club newsletter, or CMA online magazine. Clubs have their own sites.

The best plan for the OCA is to use their website as a source of links to all these clubs and newsletters. They could have a one-page on the latest club news. They could post articles and crosstables of provincial championships, maybe bios of Ontario Champions. THe OCA could also have resources for club organizers and directors, although the CFC handbook could be the source of that info for new organizers.

Comment

Re: OCA Newsletter

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
        I wouldn't recommend a printed newsletter today because of all the online opportunies for directors to post their results and players to post their games. Articles can be given to the CFC online magazine, or Scarbourgh Chess Club newsletter, or CMA online magazine. Clubs have their own sites.
        There may be a place for an online OCA newsletter some day. The CFC newsletter, for example, takes submissions of games and articles from across the country, but if these are ever too abundant, or of varying quality, particularly for one province or region (such as Ontario, or its leagues), the editor at that time might make a choice not to include some of the submitted material. What can be emailed is almost limitless, but readers would not always want a CFC newsletter that is extremely long, I imagine. Meanwhile most smaller clubs, at least, do not seem to have websites, so their players might be looking for somewhere to post online, and at some point in the future they may favour submitting to an online OCA newsletter, if there ever is one, in order to support the OCA.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
        The best plan for the OCA is to use their website as a source of links to all these clubs and newsletters. They could have a one-page on the latest club news. They could post articles and crosstables of provincial championships, maybe bios of Ontario Champions. THe OCA could also have resources for club organizers and directors, although the CFC handbook could be the source of that info for new organizers.
        Providing such links is fine, though there is no reason why the CFC or other sites might not provide the same links. Thus, this is not truly a service to OCA members unique to the OCA, as an OCA newsletter would be.

Providing articles and crosstables of provincial championships, and bios (along with online photos) is getting closer to what the OCA could build a newsletter around eventually. Having them on the website means that they are free to anyone at the moment, including those without a CFC/OCA membership. If the OCA wishes to provide this stuff for free, it could throw in an OCA Presiden't message as well (again, this could be part of an OCA newsletter). Resources for club organizers and directors might be provided by refering the visitor (or linking directly if possible) to the appropriate CFC website link for the CFC handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          Chiropractic care and eye exams used to be at least partly covered by OHIP, but no longer, thanks to the kitten-eater.
          I predict neither OHIP partial coverage for Chiropractic care, nor OHIP covered eye exams, will return if the Ontario PCs take power. There also will be no lowering of the provincial portion of the coming HST to be introduced in July, thanks to Premier Dalton (aka 'kitten-eater') McGuinty of the provincial Grits. If the PCs, lead by Hudak, were serious about doing anything about the HST they would have attempted to shut down the legislature. Instead they claim their hands are now tied for at least three years.

In politics the opposition lets the government do their dirty work, and they protest it. Then when the opposition gets into power, they do nothing to reverse the dirty deeds of the previous administration. At least when the kitten-eater is gone, the PCs may do less to hurt the province and the taxpayer.

A few of the Ontario Grit ministers are already jumping ship like rats. Jim Watson is going to run for mayor here in Ottawa, where we have a pathetic left-wing council. Toronto has an even more pathetic left-wing council, I hear. I believe former minister Smitherman (sp?) is running for mayor there.

Comment

I predict neither OHIP partial coverage for Chiropractic care, nor OHIP covered eye exams, will return if the Ontario PCs take power. There also will be no lowering of the provincial portion of the coming HST to be introduced in July, thanks to Premier Dalton (aka 'kitten-eater') McGuinty of the provincial Grits. If the PCs, lead by Hudak, were serious about doing anything about the HST they would have attempted to shut down the legislature. Instead they claim their hands are now tied for at least three years.
            Well, the liberals have had a couple of majorities here in Ontario and they have raised taxes both time. The first time with a health tax which they blew on e-health and consultants. In this area they lost the drive on which they had the records for the H1N1 vaccinations. Thousands and thousands of names, health card numbers and other information on those drives. So they sent me a letter telling me they lost it. Problem is the Bimbos in Durham region don't even know how to write a business letter. They addressed me: Dear Gary. I'm not a personal buddy of the premier. I expect them to address me as Mr. Ruben. It's almost as if they think being "chummy" will make up for their incompetence in losing my health records and having no idea who has them.

I expect Hudak to do what Harris did as I recall Harris was his backer. In any case, I consider McGuinty to be unelectable and suspect so will most people who disagree with the way he is managing public money.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The OCA manages to fund only a skeleton of championship events each year. There's nothing for the average OCA member [who's a class player].
              The OCA might some day consider expanding the skeleton of championships that it funds each year to include an 'Ontario Amateur Championship', with entries resricted to class players. Either that, or have an 'Ontario Class Championship', with sections by class (and possibly having an open section).
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 13th January, 2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Well, the liberals have had a couple of majorities here in Ontario and they have raised taxes both time. The first time with a health tax which they blew on e-health and consultants.
                If I remember right, Smitherman was the Health minister, before stepping down to run for mayor of Toronto. I guess he figures it's better not be a stationary target for voters.

In Ottawa former Grit minister (and former Ottawa mayor) Jim Watson might be the whopping favourite for mayor as the race develops. Our precious city council lurched back and forth over beginning a possible light rail project all last term, after the previous mayor got the boot over his billion dollar idea for improved mass transit. Watson wants to reject the light rail idea and start thinking again. If anywhere near half the voters agree with him he'll probably win hands down on this issue alone, since so far he's the only declared candidate against light rail.

In this area they lost the drive on which they had the records for the H1N1 vaccinations. Thousands and thousands of names, health card numbers and other information on those drives. So they sent me a letter telling me they lost it. Problem is the Bimbos in Durham region don't even know how to write a business letter. They addressed me: Dear Gary. I'm not a personal buddy of the premier. I expect them to address me as Mr. Ruben. It's almost as if they think being "chummy" will make up for their incompetence in losing my health records and having no idea who has them.
                Classic stuff. You and I, I believe, are not fixated on voting for one political party regardless of what they do. That's one of our old friend NJF's few weaknesses ;). When it comes to voting, it's best to be as 'pragmatic' as the politicians we vote for.
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 13th January, 2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

If I remember right, Smitherman was the Health minister, before stepping down to run for mayor of Toronto. I guess he figures it's better not be a stationary target for voters.

In Ottawa former Grit minister (and former Ottawa mayor) Jim Watson might be the whopping favourite for mayor as the race develops. Our precious city council lurched back and forth over beginning a possible light rail project all last term, after the previous mayor got the boot over his billion dollar idea for improved mass transit. Watson wants to reject the light rail idea and start thinking again. If anywhere near half the voters agree with him he'll probably win hands down on this issue alone, since so far he's the only declared candidate against light rail.
                  I wouldn't be voting for Smitherman. As deputy premier he has to take some responsibility for the performance of the provincial government. If Toronto elects him Mayor they won't have much to complain about if their taxes go up.

Watching provincial politicians in the governing party go to municipal politics indicates to me that internal polling is likely showing the provincial Libs are in trouble.

I wondered if Tory would run for Toronto mayor but I see he has not. I'm wondering if he will be appointed to the Senate by Harper, who has one or two seats to fill from Ontario.

Don't you just love the way the provincial government is working? They are running around a 25 Billion dollar deficit and now they roll out all day junior kindergarden / Daycare. Maybe trying to change the dynamics in the election.

If the area where I live goes Conservative in the election, I expect it to be a rout. Liberals are winning easily here. That might speak more to the candidates the other parties are fielding than the voting pattern.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Non-Chess Predictions:

9) The current US President will regain most of his lost popularity, as measured by the polls, by the end of 2010;

10) Because a Health Care bill will pass, the US Congress will remain in Democrat hands in the 2010 Congressional elections, but they will no longer have a filibuster-proof Senate (i.e. 60+ votes);
                    Last night's upset Massachusetts election victory by Republican Scott Brown means that already the filibuster-proof Senate has been lost for the Democrats. Hence one might check part of my 2010 prediction #10 as coming true. However, my preamble for 2010 prediction #10 (assuming a Health Care bill will pass) is in great jeopardy of being proven wrong. This also affects the chances of my 2010 prediction # 9 coming true. Oh well, maybe Obama has a future with the EU :).
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 20th January, 2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X