CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Here is a simple idea to simultaneously promote the CFC and local chess clubs, and inexpensive too!

Large colour posters. Some marketing savvy individual at the CFC, with some good graphic software and a small budget, creates the posters.

The top half of the poster would be all be the same, promoting the CFC and upcoming national events, ie. Canadian Open and CYCC. The bottom half of the poster would promote the local chess club. Clubs would provide the CFC with contact info and whatever else it wanted on the poster. The clubs would provide the manpower to see that the posters get displayed in community bulletin boards etc.

To the general public, the chess community is nearly invisible. This simple step of getting professional looking large colour posters displayed in public areas would bring in new members. There are people out there who would consider joining a club or trying their luck at a tournament, we just need to ask them, by letting them know we are here!

I have to believe this simple co-operative marketing plan between the CFC and local clubs is within our grasp and will bear fruit.:)

Comments? Has this idea ever been tried?

Do we have a governor who will champion this idea?

Re: CFC - Chess promotion idea!

A certain amount of professional appearance would go a long way.

This is the sort of thing the CFC should do doing.

Comment

Victoria has a flyer (that folds up into a pamphlet) that lists the various clubs, activities, and groups known to us that we distribute from time to time. It's also useful to have something to hand to walk ins at the club.

Comment

Ideally this should be done by experieneced or professional graphic designers, which could be expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
          Ideally this should be done by experieneced or professional graphic designers, which could be expensive.
          May you give some numbers?

Comment

What about the other ways of promoting chess? For instance; in medias, recreational places/centers, newspapers etc. ...!? Any new ideas??

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
              I think it could (and should) be done quite inexpensively. After all, you would want new posters done at least on an annual basis.

I am thinking now that they should be smaller, maybe even just flyer sign. That way it has more access to community bulletin boards, libraries, grocery stores etc. Less accessible space for large posters.

When I said small budget, I meant it! Maybe $ 500/year to cover graphics and printing costs.

Am I out to lunch? :o

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                What about the other ways of promoting chess? For instance; in medias, recreational places/centers, newspapers etc. ...!? Any new ideas??

Some of these ideas sound expensive!

Victoria Chess Club phamphlet sounds great. Thanks Roger.
                Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 22nd January, 2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  phamphlet sounds great.
                  The Scarborough CC had it also. (Bob.A., may you share the current status?) Toronto chess schools distribute their fliers at tournaments and other places with higher public traffic.

At one moment I lured two casual players from kijiji/craigslist into my club.

I'm not sure, but maybe there are free advertisement opportunities in community newspapers/announcements. Try the Snap (http://www.snapnewspapers.com/locations )

Comment

How about looking for rich and open-handed sponsors willing to donate some amounts of moneys for chess activities in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                      How about looking for rich and open-handed sponsors willing to donate some amounts of moneys for chess activities in general?

Once I opened a book about the fundraising at the library. There was a statement that the largest portion is coming from private persons. However, they must be approach accordingly/proportionally to amount of money asked.

Comment

$250 got us 5000 pamphlets (prefolded even). More than we could use before they became outdated. Currently, I'm supposed to be updating it and get a new printing.

Comment

Scarborough Chess Club

Hi Egis:

The Scarborough CC has very little pro active public outreach.

The reason for this is that in our old location, we had a maximum capacity that we were bumping up against ( our excellent website was being too successful at bringing in new players to replace retiring ones, and more were coming than leaving, so we were continuing, slowly, to grow - and we couldn't ). So we deliberately did not advertise outside of the website.

Also, our newsletter is not distributed outside of our subscriber list - the majority being SCC members and past members. There are no paper copies distributed to any public places.

However, we now, in our new location, at the Birkdale Community Centre, 1299 Ellesemere Road, in Scarborough, have a maximum capacity of probably 100. But already for our first 2010 tournament, we now have out 81 players. So likely the executive would now be amenable to public advertising of the club.

The idea of a joint CFC / Local Club Poster seems great to me. I would certainly recommend to our Executive that they enter into a deal with the CFC for such a project, assuming moderate cost to the club.

And encouraging clubs to market themselves more creatively, to the non-CFC public, is definitely a move in a good, new direction.

Bob

Comment

I'm surprised by the inept remarks in thread above. I have news for you. We are living in the GOOGLE century! Not in the 70's. If you believe that advertising on the street will get you a single customer than you should contact your local health professional. Even if you target your advertising on Canadian amateurs chess players on Yahoo or MSN Zone, I believe that less than 0.1% of the targeted audience will join OTB. Why? Membership fees and rating calculations. Period.
                            In Egi's case, he got 2 players because membership is free. Ask them to pay $20 a year and you will never see them again! I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but truth must be told.
                            Last edited by Ernest Klubis; Monday, 25th January, 2010, 12:21 PM.
                            A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                              I'm surprised by the inept remarks in thread above. I have news for you. We are living in the GOOGLE century! Not in the 70's. If you believe that advertising on the street will get you a single customer than you should contact your local health professional. Even if you target your advertising on Canadian amateurs chess players on Yahoo or MSN Zone, I believe that less than 0.1% of the targeted audience will join OTB. Why? Membership fees and rating calculations. Period.
                              In Egi's case, he got 2 players because membership is free. Ask them to pay $20 a year and you will never see them again! I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but truth must be told.
                              Ernest, I am surprised by your remarks! I can only assume you have never played OTB or visited a chess club!:D

Chess clubs (Mississauga, Burlington, Hamilton, Scarborough) that I am familiar with, have all experienced increased memberships in recent years. This is possible thru good volunteers, good programs (tournament schedules and side events), and making newcomers feel welcome. Many newcomers are those that got interested in chess online, but now want to try the real deal, and that is OTB chess. :D Their words, not mine.

Ernest, have you ever visited a chess club or played OTB? :) Just asking!

Final comment, playing OTB at a club or tournament is more expensive than online! No dispute, somebody has to pay for the room. Chess as a pastime is very inexpensive. For those who would complain about a $20 annual membership fee, please stay home and enjoy your online chess.:)

Comment

Working...
                              X