CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC - Chess promotion idea!

I NEVER trashed a value of a chess book! I'm showing you a better way to enjoy chess where you can instantly ask a question and get an answer. It's called INTERACTIVE software. Have you ever wanted to try a different variation from shown in the book? Do you have any Chessbase "book"?
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Well, there seem to be as many chess books coming out as ever. Is it only us old fogies keeping the publishers in business? I have to think that younger players are still getting something out of books.

The digital revolution hasn't completely supplanted or replaced the traditional book. And, on the flip side, don't forget that even some of the older generation have figured out that computers are a good thing.

While the generational divide no doubt exists, I doubt it's as absolute as you state.

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
      This is the problem with older generation of chess players. They think it's still 1965. Well it's 45(!) years later, two generations apart. New generation of chess players don't buy books. They buy ChessMaster, Fritz, Rybka and chess on DVD's. Before you start arguing put yourself in 7-year old shoes with a computer and chess software.

Comment

Neil, what would be more interesting or valuable for a 7-year old grandchild, beginners chess book or chessmaster?

Comment

Ernest, I am old, but not so old that I would argue against new technology. There is definitely a value for a lot of people, young and old, in software like Chessmaster.

But, I don't think the utility of the printed word has run its course, nor do I think books have been rejected wholesale by the young.

I have students who benefit greatly from software as well as those who prefer a book. I feel the 2 forms are complementary; not mutually exclusive.

Neil, what would be more interesting or valuable for a 7-year old grandchild, beginners chess book or chessmaster?

Comment

I NEVER trashed a value of a chess book! I'm showing you a better way to enjoy chess where you can instantly ask a question and get an answer. It's called INTERACTIVE software. Have you ever wanted to try a different variation from shown in the book? Do you have any Chessbase "book"?
            Okay. And I never trashed the value of chess software either. Whatever works for you, use it.:)

I do have chessbase, but I certainly don't utilize it's full potential yet.

It's hard to teach us old dogs new tricks!:o

But we have go way off topic here. We started off talking about chess promotion thru posters.
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 26th January, 2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Okay. And I never trashed the value of chess software either. Whatever works for you, use it.:)

I do have chessbase, but I certainly don't utilize it's full potential yet.

It's hard to teach us old dogs new tricks!:o
              There's big difference between chessbase and ebook written for chessbase! I hope this link will help you. http://www.allthekingsmenchess.com/T...%20Engines.pdf

But we have go way off topic here. We started off talking about chess promotion thru posters.
              Bob, do you want immediate customers or raise awareness?
              Last edited by Ernest Klubis; Tuesday, 26th January, 2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Bob, do you want immediate customers or raise awareness?
                An odd question! Both I would think, but lets say raising awareness. To the general population, the chess community is practically invisible!:(

But let's call them future members!:), not customers.

Comment

Analogy: We were at the grocery store a few days ago and saw a poster for a most extraordinary event. If I hadn't seen the poster, I would not have imagined that such an event could exist.

I didn't bother to read the small print in the poster. Instead at home I search_engined and got:

Gung Haggis Fat Choy

No, really, it is possible that people don't imagine that there could be such a thing as a place in their community where people play chess, face-to-face. To put it in 1965 language: gestalt, consciousness raising, symbiosis.

And I'll add that the personal interaction of a chess club and of chess tournaments is what is bringing the CFC back from the brink. Sure, for 2+ years the CFC has been efficiently managed, but efficiency is not everything. If it were, everybody would be playing internet chess; rated face-to-face chess would have wasted away.

History: Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, at 320 players, Vancouver 1975 is still the largest adult rated tournament ever held in Canada-west-of-Hogtown. We had a poster for that. It wasn't pretty, it was designed by a young teenager and printed in black on white paper. But it helped. Something like 80 of the players were new CFC members.

Later History: When I was Business Manager of the CFC, we'd receive in the mail, posters from tournaments around the world. Most *were* professionally done, full-colour jobbies, around 24 x 36 inches. I lent some of those posters to a club in the Outaouais and the guy said they were effective in promoting that club. He had a display... in a mall?? I don't know if the posters ever came back. I do have a few chess posters in a closet.

With regard to bringing out the public, CFC did produce "Your Passport to Chess", which unlike almost everything else we published (on an IBM Selectric and later on a daisy-wheel printer), was professionally typeset. The idea was to get it put in every chess set sold in Canada. Didn't happen, but tens of thousands were distributed. CFC P.O. Box (long since abandoned) was on every one.

I like the idea (related by Dan Scoones) of going into local bookstores and sliding a business card in every chess book. That's initiative.

I also like Bob's idea. But a full-colour professional poster is expensive.

Comment

This is the problem with older generation of chess players. They think it's still 1965. Well it's 45(!) years later, two generations apart. New generation of chess players don't buy books. They buy ChessMaster, Fritz, Rybka and chess on DVD's. Before you start arguing put yourself in 7-year old shoes with a computer and chess software.
                    Well, I'm certainly glad you've identified "the" problem... it brings "the" solution so much closer!

I must be really out of touch. I had no idea that 7-year-olds are the only people learning and studying chess -- and the only candidates for membership in chess clubs...

Comment

Dan, I'm sorry if I was brief in my explanation. Expanded version is available online.

The best piece of advice I can give...

Comment

Dan, I'm sorry if I was brief in my explanation. Expanded version is available online.

The best piece of advice I can give...
                        I'm sorry, but I don't take advice from B-class players.

Comment

from Minutes of the 2008 BCCF Annual General Meeting

"The way the CFC was run 20-25 years ago was the right way to do so at the time. The problem is that the market has changed with the advent of Chess ‘n Math, Amazon and services delivered by the Internet generally. A generation ago the CFC Bulletin was THE way to get chess news. Now one gets weekly The Week in Chess, the BCCF website, and once in a while the CFC’s magazine which covers events 3 or 4 months old. It doesn’t mean what we’ve done is bad, it means the world has changed and some of the suggested solutions want to use pretty much what we did 50 years ago. "

This is the truth you can't face. You still living in 1965.

Comment

This is the truth you can't face. You still living in 1965.
                            The CFC wasn't much in 1965. It was mainly a rating system and had some dues. National events such as the CO, closed, Olympic teams and that sort of thing. I seem to recall the ratings were published once or twice a year.

Earlier, when I was a junior, I never paid club fees or rating fees. I suppose the provincial championships I played were rated. My dad didn't play chess but used to come and drive me home after late games. He knew some of the older guys at the club and might well have paid anything I owed but he never told me if he did.

Once you get into the early 1970's the model changed. The CFC got a business manager and magazine. There was already a decent magazine in Canada with the latest theory and good articles and I always thought the CFC lusted after that success. Anyhow, the new model seemed to work. Maybe that speaks to the competence of the business managers.

Chess has changed now. The golden age of computer chess is upon us. People want to stay home and play on the servers. It's probably not an ideal situation because I figure sitting in front of the computer might well be an anti-social activity. However, it seems to be the current reality.

The servers are eating the CFC's lunch. I used to think they should get a server but now I'm not sure if they would know how to make the most of it. It should bring in more members with proper use and promotion.

The real entertainment in chess seems to be happening right here on Chess Talk. There's one guy who appears to read everything I write and then he calls me a troll. I doubt he's ever written anything that didn't include me. My fan club.

I don't think we can deny the CFC is living in 2010. The problem seem to me to be adapting. Anticipate, Adapt, Overcome. That's the challenge.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I figure sitting in front of the computer might well be an anti-social activity.
                              Thank you, Gary.

If Internet chess is anti-social activity, then how would you describe correspondence chess? Stamp licking activity.

Last edited by Ernest Klubis; Thursday, 4th February, 2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Gary.

If Internet chess is anti-social activity, then how would you describe correspondence chess? Stamp licking activity.
                                It's anti-social. More so these days than in the postal days. I never licked stamps. I used a sponge.

In the old days you could trade stamps or books or whatever with opponents all over the world. Still, it was an activity you did in private, often in the wee hours of the morning when everything was quiet.

Chess is a struggle and it should be.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X