Why was the Canadian Open 2010 decided to be ONE BIG OPEN Section?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why was the Canadian Open 2010 decided to be ONE BIG OPEN Section?!

Didn't the Canadian Open used to be 10 rounds?
    From 1956 to 1974 it was either 10 or 11 rounds. 1978: 11 rounds. All other years until 2005 (and 2007): 10 rounds. Ever since: 9 rounds.

The 9-round format allows for a Saturday-to-following-Sunday format with one round a day. The 10-round format usually added a second game on the first Sunday. The early 11-round events were usually held with the last round on Labour Day (which accounted for the extra round).

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

Why should we pay some foreigners an appearance fee and give free entry to come win the prize money?
      To provide better norm chances for those qualified and to give more prestige to the event which is something sponsors usually care about. This should rule out one section tournaments. If one holds a sufficiently long event for norm purposes (9 rounds or more) it is a waste to spoil it by having everyone play in the same section, and a waste for the players involved in mismatches.

Comment

Hi Jean:

I agree.

But if they are determined to have one section, then when attendance is large ( over 200 ), then there should be hyper-accelerated pairings, as was used in Ottawa 2007 Can. Open. I got great pairings out of that tournament.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Hi Jean:

I agree.

But if they are determined to have one section, then when attendance is large ( over 200 ), then there should be hyper-accelerated pairings, as was used in Ottawa 2007 Can. Open. I got great pairings out of that tournament.

Bob
          You may have had great pairings, but what about your opponents? (sorry, no offence intended; as other posters in this thread have pointed out a nice norm run can be spoiled by an unfortunate pairing with an over-performing player without a FIDE rating)

It seems that a single Open section implies almost no chances for norms (and those people who are looking for that - admittedly not everyone's goal - will just pass).
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Valid point.

As Hugh has pointed out, the original tradition was clearly one section. But in recent years, the trend has been toward sections. Is it that players are viewing who they want to play differently? I think the response of players to the Swiss yo-yo effect has changed. Before, players tolerated this, to get a shot at some high ranked players if they played well ( or just had lucky pairings early on ). Now I think players want more quality games, and aren't so wedded to their shot against the GM, if it means numbers of games against much lower rated players.

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 28th January, 2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I would offer two observations, one organizational and the other personal.
              First, it strikes me as strange that the organizers have to re-invent the wheel each and every year. This is exactly the kind of thing where the CFC Governors could make a contribution: after due deliberation, determining the parameters for the national open---number of rounds, sections, pairing systems, time controls, etc. The current anarchy lends itself to disastrous experimentation as it leaves organizers without guidance.
              Second, based on my strictly personal experience I would favour a single section. I was very fortunate in Edmonton to be paired in the first round against Viktor Mikhalevski and we enjoyed a very interesting game followed by a fascinating post mortem over dinner. I would not have had that opportunity in a sectioned or accelerated tournament. Just having that possibility would bring me back to play in future opens and, remember, the financial base of this tournament is guys like me who sign up and pay our fees to enjoy the opportunity to rub shoulders, and perhaps even play, our betters.
              On the other hand, the system we were persuaded to use in 2007 of double accelerated pairings has its supporters, namely Bob Armstrong, who liked his pairings. Meanwhile, the complexity of the system nearly brought the whole event to a crashing halt as the TD concluded, rightly or wrongly, that the Capelle software was unsatisfactory and undertook at the last moment to pair this 300-player event by hand. This resulted in serious delays in the early rounds and very late posting of pairings throughout the event for which, as the chair of the organizing committee, I have already profusely apologized. Chessplayers are a long suffering bunch and most of them put up with this in good humour. But I can tell you that the top players were not amused to be unable to know who they would face in later rounds until just before the starting gun.
              Sections may also be an option. My only experience is with the arrangement Hal Bond and colleagues introduced (out of necessity because of space requirements) in Kitchener in 2006 where I also played. As I recall, there were two sections: over 1800 and under 2000 allowing players between those two ratings to choose (or, in the case of the energetic John Upper, to play in both for most rounds!). As I said, I would now prefer the single section as in Edmonton, but I can see why a really large event might opt for this kind of division.

Comment

It seems to me that it is the rank and file players who put up the money to attract big name players--- The recent CFC newsletter suggested a $50,000 prize fund based on 360 players. Assuming that 325 of those player are not GMs and pay the enty fee, that is about $60,125 (I used $185 for entry, assuming half the people won't make the deadline).
                Why, as a member of said rank and file, should I put up this money if it means I'll just get to play members of the clubs I already play at, where I only pay rating fee?
                Those putting up the money for this event, in general, have no shot at a norm, and, imho, don't care so much about them at all.
                No offense to Eminent Canadian players above, but the glowing feeling of national pride I have in them tends to disipate rather quickly when they are set on the world stage.
                As to the prestige of this event--- One cannot argue that this is the most prestigious event in Canada. But really-- "prestige" in a Canadian event? give me a break.

For these reasons I prefer a yoyo event and a shot at a GM--- after all, I don't want to just give my $200 to some foriegn GM--- he should at least have to play in the same event as me to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                  To provide better norm chances for those qualified and to give more prestige to the event which is something sponsors usually care about. This should rule out one section tournaments. If one holds a sufficiently long event for norm purposes (9 rounds or more) it is a waste to spoil it by having everyone play in the same section, and a waste for the players involved in mismatches.
                  Probably for a reasonable chance at a norm it would be necessary to have more than the 9 rounds of this event. Also, with top GM's being paid to come the chances are less. Better to have GM's past their prime who still have most of their rating and younger GM's who are over rated. The tier 2 type GM's.

If we want to buy titles we have to know where to shop.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

As far as norm-hunting goes - I think we should have more "Futurity" types of events - i.e. an 8 or 10 player invitational RR meeting FIDE requirements for norms (you used to need players from at least three different federations - there are enough titled Canadians (or even Americans) registered under other federations to meet this criterion).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      As far as norm-hunting goes - I think we should have more "Futurity" types of events - i.e. an 8 or 10 player invitational RR meeting FIDE requirements for norms (you used to need players from at least three different federations - there are enough titled Canadians (or even Americans) registered under other federations to meet this criterion).
                      I agree. That method is better than trying to squeeze out a norm from a 9 round Canadian Open. To do it in a 9 round Canadian Open a player would need a very good performance and be very lucky with the pairings.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        To do it in a 9 round Canadian Open a player would need a very good performance and be very lucky with the pairings.
                        1- Regardless of the type of event one needs a "very good performance" to make a (GM) norm.
                        2- Keeping norm opportunities for "Futurity" type events seems illogical to me. Shouldn't our "best" tournaments also be our most prestigious event with as many titled players as possible AND norm chances ?
                        3- Having two or more sections does not preclude to use also accelerated pairings to make norms more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                          As to the prestige of this event--- One cannot argue that this is the most prestigious event in Canada. But really-- "prestige" in a Canadian event? give me a break.

For these reasons I prefer a yoyo event and a shot at a GM--- after all, I don't want to just give my $200 to some foriegn GM--- he should at least have to play in the same event as me to take it.
                          Yes canadian events can and have been prestigious before: eg: Man his World Tournament in 1979, the World Chess Festival in 1988, Yusupov-Spraggett match 1989, etc. On the other hand, why would anyone think that something "canadian" cannot also be "prestigious"? Lack or absence of historical perspective perhaps ?

Comment

I of course freely admit to a lack of knowledge of these events--- Being born in ’87 has its disadvantages I suppose--- Namely an apparent 20 year dry spell in Canadian Chess.

But the point I am trying to make is that money is much more a motivating factor in tournament participation than “prestige” or norm-chances--- It seems clear that the eminent Monsieur Hébert will not argue that when one looks at the cross-table from Canadian-Quebec Open 2008.

In order to motivate me to pay $200 for a tournament, you must at least offer me the possibility of a lesson (naturally in the form of a game) from someone a couple classes above me. Otherwise I will content myself with playing in other events. I can play against players in my class at any number of clubs for little more than the rating fee--- No offense to any Scarborough and Hart House Chess members—but I would be disappointed to play any of you during the CO.

Comment

Hi Stuart:

Well, at least you included Hart House !

Bob

Comment

I should rather say, any Scarborough and Hart House Chess Members besides Bob Armstrong, who I have a serious grudge with and with whom I would relish any opportunity to win my points back from. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X