Why was the Canadian Open 2010 decided to be ONE BIG OPEN Section?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why was the Canadian Open 2010 decided to be ONE BIG OPEN Section?!

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
    I of course freely admit to a lack of knowledge of these events--- Being born in ’87 has its disadvantages I suppose--- Namely an apparent 20 year dry spell in Canadian Chess.

But the point I am trying to make is that money is much more a motivating factor in tournament participation than “prestige” or norm-chances--- It seems clear that the eminent Monsieur Hébert will not argue that when one looks at the cross-table from Canadian-Quebec Open 2008.

In order to motivate me to pay $200 for a tournament, you must at least offer me the possibility of a lesson (naturally in the form of a game) from someone a couple classes above me. Otherwise I will content myself with playing in other events. I can play against players in my class at any number of clubs for little more than the rating fee--- No offense to any Scarborough and Hart House Chess members—but I would be disappointed to play any of you during the CO.
    Consider this pairing in Round 2 of the current tournament in Gibralter:

7 GM Fridman, Daniel GER - 2654 IM Zatonskih, Anna USA 2466

I believe Anna Zontonskih is married to Daniel Fridman!! Nevermind the usual problem of going a long way and then playing someone from the same club! arrggh.

(that strikes me as one of those 'everybody loses' encounter)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

John Vlasov also played in both sections. Crazy people.

The scariest part was how WELL John Upper did! (Sandbagger :p)
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I believe Anna Zontonskih is married to Daniel Fridman!! Nevermind the usual problem of going a long way and then playing someone from the same club! arrggh.
        I travelled from Montreal to Calgary to play in the 1975 Canadian Open. I played three players from Montreal, and another two from Ottawa. :-)

While we're on the oddball pairings topic:

[Event "Vancouver op"]
        [Site "Vancouver CAN"]
        [Date "1987.??.??"]
        [Round "?"]
        [White "North, Robert"]
        [Black "South, Robert"]
        [Result "1/2-1/2"]
        [ECO "E10"]
        [PlyCount "75"]
        [EventDate "1987.??.??"]
        [EventType "swiss"]
        [EventRounds "6"]
        [EventCountry "CAN"]
        [SourceDate "2003.08.17"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 c5 4. d5 b5 5. dxe6 fxe6 6. cxb5 a6 7. e3 d5 8. bxa6
        Bd6 9. Be2 O-O 10. O-O Nc6 11. Nc3 Bb8 12. Qa4 Qc7 13. Qh4 h6 14. Nb5 Qb6 15.
        a7 Nxa7 16. Nxa7 Rxa7 17. b3 e5 18. Bb2 Re7 19. Nd2 e4 20. f3 Be5 21. Bxe5 Rxe5
        22. fxe4 Qa5 23. Qe1 Qc3 24. Bb5 Ng4 25. Rxf8+ Kxf8 26. Nf1 Qb2 27. h3 Nf6 28.
        Qc1 Qxc1 29. Rxc1 Nxe4 30. Bd3 Bf5 31. Bxe4 Bxe4 32. Rxc5 Rg5 33. g4 h5 34. Nh2
        Rg6 35. a4 Rb6 36. Rb5 Rc6 37. Nf1 Rc2 38. gxh5 1/2-1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
          The successes of the PWC (TORONTO) Open, Toronto Labour Day, Hart House Chess Tournaments 2009 were based mostly on the format of having one OPEN section with the addition of several sections and attracted more than what was expected (record highs)!,Why on earth do we follow the format used in the Canadian Open 2009 wherein no one ever get a/n GM/IM norm?! Why don't we just let the strong players play with someone close to their strength! I mean to play in their "league of their own", with a far better chance of gaining a norm.

I firmly believe that with one big OPEN SECTION, I don't seem to agree that it will attract much especially with an entry fee of $175.

A survey should have been ran to potential participants prior to making the final decision to adapt a ONE BIG OPEN SECTION tournament!
          Folks,

Can someone run a survey just to gather information what prospective participants prefer?

a) One big Open Section.
          b) 3 section - Open, U2000 and U1600.
          c) 4 Sections - Open U2200, U1900 and U1600.

Thanks!:)

Comment

Working...
          X