Canadian Closed Championship Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed Championship Date

Gary, I made a 10 round norm in the 2007 canadian open and could have easily made it a 9 round norm if I had drawn my 9th round game instead of losing it. Then I played in the Quebec Open right after and was half a point away from making it back to back IM norms. If you combine these two events, the only thing that would change would be the increase in players and a small increase in prize fund but only 1 tournament instead of 2. A lot of times, all someone needs is a good tournament to get a norm and if they have two chances instead of 1, shouldn't giving them two chances all that matters?
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Eric and Bindi,

I have to admit I thought making a norm in a 9 round, one section swiss, Canadian Open, was very rare.

Eric, I thought the 2007 CO was 10 rounds, double accelerated and hand paired. Although, I see he locked it up in the 9th round. Anyhow, if a norm can be obtained then go for it. I thought the chances were really remote.

How are they pairing the upcoming Canadian Open? I can't recall seeing that.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I can't think of a single Canadian who has made an IM or GM norm from a ONE SECTION, Canadian Open, of only NINE ROUNDS with Swiss Pairings.
        Whether that's true or not is irrelevant. It certainly isn't a valid reason to reduce the number of norm opportunities for IM candidates.

Probably you can supply us with many or at least one name.
        I don't have to do any such thing. I don't accept your standard of proof.

When I was "norm hunting" for my CC titles, I played in events where I had a reasonable chance of making a norm and not wasting my time with randomly paired open events. High category Round Robin events is where I played.
        Good for you. But does it mean a talented IM prospect has follow your example? Answer: it doesn't.

Comment

Dan, thanks for giving me a piece of your mind.

Next time keep a piece for yourself.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

[QUOTE=Gary Ruben;19086]I can't think of a single Canadian who has made an IM or GM norm from a ONE SECTION, Canadian Open, of only NINE ROUNDS with Swiss Pairings. Probably you can supply us with many or at least one name.

QUOTE]

In the 2005 Canadian Open we had quite a few norms, especially if you include the GMs. Obviously, they didn't need norms; however, the fact that they would have achieved them shows that it was possible. Among Canadians, Zhe Quan achieved an IM norm then. Even in 2009, after the rule change we potentially have one GM norm for Edward Porper. He missed it on a real technicality, yet because his performance was so outstanding, FIDE might give him the norm anyway (or at least that is my understanding based on talking to some officials).

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
              In the 2005 Canadian Open we had quite a few norms, especially if you include the GMs. Obviously, they didn't need norms; however, the fact that they would have achieved them shows that it was possible. Among Canadians, Zhe Quan achieved an IM norm then. Even in 2009, after the rule change we potentially have one GM norm for Edward Porper. He missed it on a real technicality, yet because his performance was so outstanding, FIDE might give him the norm anyway (or at least that is my understanding based on talking to some officials).
              I was thinking more about players who need norms for a title rather than those who already have them. Still, I've beens shown enough to see they are possible even in a 9 rounder. I'd still think Round Robin events would be a better opportunity.

What was the technicality for Edward Porper? Playing someone more than 400 rating points lower than him? I'm guessing because if I recall the event wasn't accelerated pairings.

Missing by a "technicality" means he didn't strictly qualify according to the rules so I don't know if that's the term you want to use. I don't know what such an exception would mean with FIDE. With ICCF, you kind of have to kiss butt and your federation has to get an approval from the annual congress for an exception. Then FIDE has to accept the title.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Dan, thanks for giving me a piece of your mind.
                Next time keep a piece for yourself.
                Let's see... the Argument From Authority -- your own -- didn't work... neither did Proof by Selected Examples... time for the old standby: Name Calling...

Comment

I was thinking more about players who need norms for a title rather than those who already have them. Still, I've beens shown enough to see they are possible even in a 9 rounder. I'd still think Round Robin events would be a better opportunity.

What was the technicality for Edward Porper? Playing someone more than 400 rating points lower than him? I'm guessing because if I recall the event wasn't accelerated pairings.

Missing by a "technicality" means he didn't strictly qualify according to the rules so I don't know if that's the term you want to use. I don't know what such an exception would mean with FIDE. With ICCF, you kind of have to kiss butt and your federation has to get an approval from the annual congress for an exception. Then FIDE has to accept the title.
                  He played one too few titled players, so if one of his 2200 opponents would have been a woman with a female title he would have a norm. The reason why I heard that he may get it anyway is because his performance rating was way higher than the requirement and some of the people that he beat and drew were really high rated.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I think we are losing focus. The Canadian Open (which is rarely or marginally a norm tournament) and the Quebec Open (which is a norm tournament) should not conflict because they are the two premier, open, one- (or 1.1-) game-a-day events in Canada and some chess lovers will want to play in both. In addition, if the two events are close in time and/or location, some economies may be realized in regard to professional players.

The Quebec Open (which is a norm tournament) and the Edmonton International (which is a norm tournament) should not conflict because we have so few norm tournaments in Canada, and one or two hopefuls may be able to play in both. One might think about how much it costs to create a norm opportunity.

The Edmonton International (which is a norm tournament) and the Pan Am Youth Championships (which may have norms to the section winners, I don't know) aren't really a problem if they conflict. Are they? Maybe somebody will correct me.

Though it would be unfortunate to see an Alberta norm event with the leisurely (for Alberta) regimen of 6 days (for 9 rounds) get thrown back into their customary 5-day window.

Comment

Working...
                    X