Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Junior 2010

Hi Jean,

Some interesting ideas. An invitational is a whole new ballpark type of tournament. It'd require some serious sponsors and advance commitment by players. One issue regarding free entries for out-of-province players, and possible accommodation deals runs into a potential problem with the uncertainty in numbers. By the way I agree with you that if anyone, those players from far away should get the help. When Michael Barron came to us, I told him that this would have to be a self-sustained tournament from a financial point of view, where University of Toronto's contribution would only be free space.

As for rooting out "weak players"... personally I disagree, and I am not even sure what kind of players you are referring to, but I imagine you'd probably suggest a ~ 2200 floor. We followed the example of the previous years. "Weak players", many of them fast-improving, will have a great opportunity to play against their "elite" peers. And who knows, it might be a "weak player" who dents a contender's chances.

---

It is not our intention for this to be a Toronto Junior, and there weren't many dates where this tournament could take place, while giving enough time for the winner to get ready for the World Junior in August, which I believe is taking place earlier than last year.

Gentlemen,

This tournament will take place starting in a few days, and the core aspects have long been set. The event itself has not taken place yet though. I recommend you make your suggestions regarding the tournament itself (as an annual event) to the CFC directly, and maybe a more strict or ideal set of guidelines will be formed.
    As the organizer for this year's tournament, I do welcome constructive suggestions on how to make it as best as possible given what's already in place.
    alex.ferreira@utoronto.ca

Thank you,

Alex Ferreira
    Last edited by Alex Ferreira; Tuesday, 27th April, 2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Alex, please collect all scoresheets or make copies/scans :D

(I'll try to come on Sunday (4&5 rounds should be exciting with a small group of players) or the last day Thuesday)

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        Hi Jean,

Some interesting ideas. An invitational is a whole new ballpark type of tournament. It'd require some serious sponsors and advance commitment by players. ...

As for rooting out "weak players"... personally I disagree, and I am not even sure what kind of players you are referring to, but I imagine you'd probably suggest a ~ 2200 floor. We followed the example of the previous years. "Weak players", many of them fast-improving, will have a great opportunity to play against their "elite" peers. And who knows, it might be a "weak player" who dents a contender's chances. ...

Alex Ferreira
        On your first point: I don't recall any sponsors (other than in my case the BCCF funding my trips) to the Round Robin Canadian Juniors of the ancient past.

On your second point: this tournament should not be an "experience gainer" for 1900s. It should be treated like a serious event for contenders and used to pick a deserving winner. Playing 1900s is not going to be nearly remotely useful to the winner, or indeed to any of the top half-dozen players.

I will try to strongarm ( ;-) ) one of my local Governors into introducing a motion to make the Canadian Junior part of the Canadian Closed and that it be used to choose the next two representatives to the subsequent World Juniors. At least that way all of the juniors who qualify will be assured of many tough games.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Bindi Cheng is from BC but before he went there he lived in Hamilton until 2004.
          He went to Dalewood Secondary School in Hamilton. He learned chess from my
          ex student Constantine Khayutin, who is studying in McMaster University. Konstantin started a club and Bidni joined. Later he started playing in Hamilton Public Library before he moved to BC. I think in 2005. So Bindi is much from Ontario, as he is from BC.:) Good luck Bindi. I am cheering for you. Go get them:)

Mikhail Egorov

Comment

Working...
          X