Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GTCL website allows the TDs post their tournaments

Dear TDs,

The GTCL website allows you guys post your tournaments by yourselves on the website, meanwhile, it will add in the chess calendar automatically.

How to do that?

First of all, you should register with your real name as user name and apply for role as TD. There are two roles, TD and chess writer. The chess writer role is not open to use yet. So, you just apply for the TD role.

For someone already registered, you just login in and click the Tab called "apply for role" and choice the TD role.

After the site webmaster approved your application, you will receive a notification then you can post your tournament and post the tournament's results.

The benefits to post the chess events on the GTCL website could draw more attention to your events. Our Traffic Rank is much higher than most of other chess website in Canada. Please visit www.alexa.com to verify that.

Another feature is that TDs could set your events OPEN to be signed up so that you can mange your events registration through GTCL website.

GTCL website also allows all chess players to vote the events by click the stars.

And more feature is developing and coming soon.

Enjoy our site!

Best Regards

William Yuan

Click here to visit GTCL website

Re: The GTCL website allows the TDs post their tournaments

Wouldn't be easier for all if we just emailed you the information and you add it to your website?

You assume everyone is computer geek savy.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
      Wouldn't be easier for all if we just emailed you the information and you add it to your website?

You assume everyone is computer geek savy.
      Hi John,

I assume you can do it if you can use email.

I am sure.

Best Regrads

William

Comment

So, I registered, no problem, but I still get "access denied" when I try to post a tournament.

Comment

Nice site! Drupal does a really good job.
          Just out of curiosity, why Drupal and not Joomla or Wordpress?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            So, I registered, no problem, but I still get "access denied" when I try to post a tournament.
            Hi John,

You just need to "Apply for role" for "Tournament Director".

William

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Campbell View Post
              Nice site! Drupal does a really good job.
              Just out of curiosity, why Drupal and not Joomla or Wordpress?
              A couple of interesting articles may give you the answers.

http://buytaert.net/drupal-vs-joomla-performance
              http://buytaert.net/drupal-vs-joomla-hosting-costs
              http://buytaert.net/drupal-vs-joomla-popularity

Comment

HI William;
                I was referring to people who run tournaments that don't own computers or are not computer savy. This will be the exact thing that is happening this weekend. Now how is this person to join this GTCL website when they have to depend on some one else to join GTCL become a TD role and then give that information to the TD etc. Where all he would really have to do is just say hey John Brown can you email the GTCL for me and let them know I'm running a tournament?

I for one do not run tournaments that require major GTCL advertising so I would not need your posting services. I'm sure there are those who do. So you idea is good for those who want it.

Comment

John, it's really had to imagine an organiser who does not own a computer, in this day and age. I live on the computer.

Comment

John, it's really had to imagine an organiser who does not own a computer, in this day and age. I live on the computer.
                    OFF TOP

CFC "Electronic Newsletter;
                    Please check at your local clubs and ask members if they have email and are not receiving the monthly electronic newsletter. Currently only about 53% of members are receiving it. If a player does not have an email, they may designate somebody else in their family to receive it for them.
                    Once identified, please submit any members email information to the CFC office at info@chess.ca"

http://www.chess.ca/Gls/09-10GL3.pdf p. 6

And that is after ~5 month...

Comment

I see what you mean, it is remarkable how many of the speed players at the local chess club haven't caught up to the internet age. But I said ORGANISER who does not own a computer.

Comment

Currently only about 53% of members are receiving it.
                        I am wondering how many junior members in another 47%?
                        Let's say Ontario, Junior total 275 over 989 is around 27.8% though some of them are high school students will often use email.

Some members registered CFC membership but they didn't provide their email address or their email address is not updated.

I don't think CFC is capable to hire a data analyst to prove that all members who don't receive news letters don't have computers.

I didn't see a family in Canada who hadn't a computer in more than ten years after we immigrated in Canada. Even though, the libraries, community centers and schools offered a large amount of computers and free internet to Canadians.

I don't believe the reason of not receiving newsletter is that people don't have computer.

Comment

But I said...
                          I just wanted to show that Canadian chess players are not so much involved in internet (chess) activities, thus making a long shot that there might be some organizers in those numbers too.

I think, J.B. made a good point that the webmaster should take a responsibility to post tournament announcements received by emails.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            I just wanted to show that Canadian chess players are not so much involved in internet (chess) activities, thus making a long shot that there might be some organizers in those numbers too.

I think, J.B. made a good point that the webmaster should take a responsibility to post tournament announcements received by emails.

I didn't expect too much to my mum after she making a food and putting on the table, I was just appreciate to sit at table enjoy the food with family.

Thanks John to have posted his first tournament last night and I believe other TDs will follow to enjoy posting their tournaments by themselves.

By the way, even I paid to sit in the restaurant and never expected to ask the chef to feed me.

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
                              I didn't expect too much to my mum
                              I hope she never refused to prepare a snack when you have asked her ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X