2010 Canadian Open - Will you play? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Canadian Open - Will you play? (poll)

Originally posted by Jim Zhao View Post
    Hmm... I think very expensive is one thing. Early Bird Entry Fee of $175?? That should be the sign-up late fee! It's understandable that the Canadian Open is more expensive because of more rounds and opening ceremony, but take a look back to Edmonton the entry fee was $160 with many paying $135...
    The PWC toronto open was a great success. It stands to reason that if the tournament directors decided to go in for a PWC toronto open style format there would be tons and tons of people entering, because it's like an even bigger PWC toronto open (more prizes, we all know PWC was great, and the name)
    As for playing a foreign GM... I mean really I don't care, to me it's the same thing as getting crushed by Rybka, except you have this tiny chance the GM will hang the queen or mate, whereas none for Rybka :). This Canadian Open seems to be GM Paradise, because the massive amount devoted to the winners. As for the class prizes, I mean sure they're nice to win but compared to other Canadian Opens they are far smaller. Add to the fact that it will be far more expensive than competing in the PWC toronto open you can expect people not to come. Since most people at the tournament will be below master strength they have virtually no chance on winning a placement prize, and the class prizes are quite small in comparison to the other prizes. The most attractive thing to me about the Canadian Open is... its name.
    More GM's make the tournament better known, but still, don't forget class players provide the $$$. I'm not sure why the TD's decided on this new format, was it to attract GM's? I wouldn't pay someone to get paid! :P
    Oh well, That has been the standard in Toronto Tournaments. The highest or 1st Place Prize you could get is as much as 4x to 5x your entry fee for class section prizes and the
    most of the prizes go to the Open Section. With the exception of the PWC Toronto Open Class Prizes which is more than 10X your entry fee.

If you want a higher entry multiplier for your entry fee higher than 5x, then consider playing at the Hamilton Open and Under 1900 which is
    happening this weekend or the Championnat ouvert de la Mauricie 2010 next weekend.

In Quebec, the prize distributions are evenly balanced from the Open to the Class Sections http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?...type=1&id=2751 but I may assume that
    FIDE Titled players (GM, IM and FM) should not pay entry fees. They also have avid and consistent sponsors. That might be the reason they attracted over 250 players
    consistent year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Zhao View Post
      As for the class prizes, I mean sure they're nice to win but compared to other Canadian Opens they are far smaller. :P
      I have been playing chess tournaments in Ontario for 10 years but I have not seen a Class Prize higher than $1000 for 1st Prize. This is the first time I have seen that a $1000 1st Prize is offered to the Under 2400, 2200,2000, 1800, 1600 and 1400 which is 200 gap between sections. Back home in the Phils., you should qualify first before you can enter an Open National Tournament and with a minimum rating of least 2200. Here, you are free to play in the Open Tournament as unrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
        I have been playing chess tournaments in Ontario for 10 years but I have not seen a Class Prize higher than $1000 for 1st Prize. This is the first time I have seen that a $1000 1st Prize is offered to the Under 2400, 2200,2000, 1800, 1600 and 1400 which is 200 gap between sections. Back home in the Phils., you should qualify first before you can enter an Open National Tournament and with a minimum rating of least 2200. Here, you are free to play in the Open Tournament as unrated.
        Well yeah I guess that's probably true. However, it's just a little disappointing that $1000 was offered in PWC as U2000/U1600 as first place as well as additional class prizes (Like about $3000 for total placement compared to $1500). And since the Canadian Open has a much higher prize fund but less class prizes...

Oh and there are more examples of class prizes being more than 4-5x more than entry fees. Hart house holidays was $40 to enter and had class prizes of $300. Also the projected ontario open has $800 for first place and some can enter for only $60...
        Last edited by Jim Zhao; Friday, 12th March, 2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X