Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Structure of the CFC

Hi John:

I think CFC is making progress this year, though I had hoped for somewhat more, and will do a number of things in the next 4 months.

The Procedures' Committee has just authorized a new on-line governors' quarterly meeting format to replace the cumbersome GL voting procedure ( this is still subject to a " trial " April 1-7 on-line meeting, and getting the necessary constitutional amendment required ). Another Subcommittee is working on a new internet accessible AGM for the CFC and this may be able to be passed so that the new model is in effect for the July AGM ( I'm trying for that anyway ).

I hope to soon release a report card on the new Van Dusen administration, to show what it has accomplished, what it is working on, and where more has to be done.

Bob

Comment

I believe a tournament Like Corus could be done in Canada but we need that Business that wants to promote that type of Chess.
      Montreal 1979 was that kind of event. It was supposed to be held annually - but apparently the sponsors felt that they didn't get their money's worth on the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        how many Toronto (Saturday) Star readers read the chess corner?
        Call me an optimist, but my personal estimate would be around 200 readers! My estimate based on number of chess players reading it during a tournament on Saturday in Toronto.
        A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

So, now I've seen lately two things the CFC should be doing but is not.
          One: the GTCL rewarded Alex Fereirra with a two year CFC membership for the excellent work he has done in arranging the recent tournaments at Hart House, the U of T. This is money well spent on the part of the GTCL but it's something the CFC should have done on its own. Why not a complimentary 10 year membership on the initiative of the CFC?
          Two: Some unknown chess organizer from Brampton attempted to set up an active tournament with CFC membership required. Anyone not a current CFC member could obtain the membership but at a $15 surcharge!
          Now why would an official from the CFC (the President?) not contact the organiser to arrange someone (a Governor) to be at the event to sell memberships?
          I realize that these actions are not spelled out word for word in the CFC constitution and that I think is the main problem with the CFC. You need someone in charge who can think on their feet! -and does not have to call a governors meeting at every turn.
          If bureaucracy was an export commodity, Canada would be the richest country on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Some unknown chess organizer from Brampton attempted to set up an active tournament with CFC membership required. Anyone not a current CFC member could obtain the membership but at a $15 surcharge!
            Now why would an official from the CFC (the President?) not contact the organiser to arrange someone (a Governor) to be at the event to sell memberships?
            Simply because it is the organizer's job to sell CFC memberships, if he wants his event to be CFC rated. To reward an uncooperative organizer by sending him an extra helper would be quite unfair (and probably unpractical) to the organizers supporting the CFC.

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            I realize that these actions are not spelled out word for word in the CFC constitution and that I think is the main problem with the CFC. You need someone in charge who can think on their feet! -and does not have to call a governors meeting at every turn.
            If the CFC sends Governors to events to sell memberships (your suggestion) it will have to call a governor at every turn...

Comment

Working...
            X