World Junior in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Junior in Turkey

There appear to be no Canadians in the World Junior (Aug. 3-15) this year (nor in the ladies' division). 24 GM's out of 109 players. The 16th highest rated player (in the "Men's" group) is Yifan Hou, a Chinese WGM.

http://wjcc2008.tsf.org.tr/

Re: World Junior in Turkey

I'm not sure who I should root for. From the Western Hemisphere there is: one USian, Tyler Hughes (2161); two Mexicans, GM Manuel LEON HOYOS (2543) and Miguel A. ALVAREZ RAMIREZ (2194) ; GM Alejandro RAMIREZ (2531) from Costa Rica; and GM Eduardo ITURRIZAGA (2561) from Venezuela. Among the Junior Girls there is WFM Tatev ABRAHAMYAN (2277) playing for the USA.

By the way, when has Canada sent players to the World Junior event?

Edited to add: I found some information on Canadian participation in the World Junior. Since 1963, when Winnipeger John Burstow represented Canada, we've sent a player to every event other than in 1994 and 2005 (and now 2008) .
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 5th August, 2008, 12:48 AM. Reason: found some info. on Cdn participation in the past.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      By the way, when has Canada sent players to the World Junior event?
      http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/jun.htm

is up to date 1951 (the first World Junior) to (Edit 7 Aug 2008) now.

Canada had a representative every year it was played except:

or about 35 times.

For 2008, it looks like there is no player from CAN, but there is a player named CAN: Emre Can from Turkey. Pronounced "Jan". The Turkish word can means soul, life, individual.

Problem could be that Samsonkin won the Canadian Junior, but is Samsonkin a Canadian in FIDE's book soon enough to play in the World Junior? Huge fee to be paid to FIDE to transfer him to the maple leaf flag, aside from the waiting period.
      Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Thursday, 7th August, 2008, 11:44 AM. Reason: updated status of linked page

Comment

Thanks for that, Jonathan. I forgot about all those complications with FIDE.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          Problem could be that Samsonkin won the Canadian Junior, but is Samsonkin a Canadian in FIDE's book soon enough to play in the World Junior? Huge fee to be paid to FIDE to transfer him to the maple leaf flag, aside from the waiting period.
          Then what was the point in letting someone play and win the Canadian Junior when his eligibility as a representative of Canada was uncertain ? It turns out that a legitimate canadian representative has been denied the chance to play at the World Junior because of that "error", doesn't it ?

Comment

He's showing as being Canadian on FIDE's website.

Comment

World Junior Championship Participation

In the past, who has footed the bill for our representative(s)?

Comment

Re: World Junior Championship Participation

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                In the past, who has footed the bill for our representative(s)?
                The CFC. 1957 to 1993 without missing was a pretty good record (the 1961 guy was paid for by the CFC, but he decided to spend the money playing in US Swisses! After that, the CFC was more closely involved in travel arrangements).

The World Junior has lost a bit of its gloss in recent times, as the strongest eligible players (Carlsen, Karjakin ...) have bypassed the competition. Still, it's nothing to scoff at, with 24 (and counting) GMs.

Comment

1961 Canadian Junior champion - Robert (Bob) Rubin - older brother of Gerald (Gerry) Rubin - well-known to clients of Montreal's Cafe Pi. If they had both continued playing serious chess, one or the other might have become Canadian champion in the 1960's or 1970's. Their father (Phil) was a TD/organizer in Montreal in the late 1950's/early 1960's.

http://chesscanada.no-ip.org/chess/history1x.htm

Comment

The Rubin's

I remember them well! I played in Montréal High School championships with/against them in the early 60s and Phil directed the events. I helped Phil direct the event after my last HS championship. If I recall, they took place somewhere in N.D.G. in some community centre, possibly on a corner of Decarie and something? Phil was a true gentleman.

Comment

Re: The Rubins

The NDG Community Centre, at the corner of Cote St.Antoine and Decarie. It's still there, and still a community centre. I played in many events there in my early chess years (late 1960's-early 1970's). I still remember playing in a room there, to which the only access was through the archery room - in which there was often activity taking place. You had to make sure no one was "shooting" when you wanted to enter or leave the tournament room.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/jun.htm

For 2008, it looks like there is no player from CAN, but there is a player named CAN: Emre Can from Turkey. Pronounced "Jan". The Turkish word can means soul, life, individual.
                        Our representative slightly exceeded his predicted placing. Emre CAN (IM, 2460 FIDE) finished in a tie for 20th with 7.5 points out of 13.

India placed 1-2 with Abhijeet Gupta as new World Junior Champion and Parimarjan Negi runner-up. Having a 2600+ rating was no predictor of success in this event!

So does anybody know why there was no Canadian representative? If not Samsonkin because of transfer purgatory, then why not Tayar? Was it $$?

Comment

The next question:
                          Where is money?

Per report, $1900 was collected for the trip/expanse purpose. The report named it as "WYCC contribution" probably by mistake (WYCC, should by WJCC).

Comment

Working...
                          X