Heavyweight Champion-1.d4 Vol.2 (Avrukh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavyweight Champion-1.d4 Vol.2 (Avrukh)

I just got my copy today
    616 pages (last 2 are advertisements)

Avrukh is recommending
    g3 systems against
    -King's Indian
    -Grunfeld
    -Benoni
    -Dutch
    -Benko

and covers every black defence imaginable down to 1...Nc6,1...e5, 2 knights tango, etc

Michael Yip

Re: Heavyweight Champion-1.d4 Vol.2 (Avrukh)

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
    I just got my copy today
    616 pages (last 2 are advertisements)
    Man, don't you hate that? They promise a real book and then pad it with filler! :)

There's obviously a real market for these books, but I'm afraid I don't understand who has time to contemplate absorbing all that info. My hat's off to anyone who does though.

Comment

Michael, where did you get this book? Do you recommend it?
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

My policy is to put "Beating the X Opening" on the shelf beside "Winning with the X Opening" and let THEM fight it out.

Comment

Hello

I definitely recommend it and all other GM Repertoire books. But you must know that it is not a beginners book. It does not tell you the basics or have any complete games. This is not a teach you how to play book, it's more like 'Here are all the facts and this is exactly what to do.'

You should be completely confident that you know what to do with a theoretical slight advantage. To prepare myself, I am going through 'Winning Chess Middlegames'-Sokolov to get into 1.d4 thinking mode.

There are no other opening books like this series, nothing even close.

I don't know your level but it would be a help if you are already a 1.d4 player and have some experience. I trust you have alot of spare time :)

When I bought the Marin book on 1.c4 e5, I had to backtrack and buy a couple of other books on the English to make sense of it.

I pre-ordered it direct from Quality Chess and it was shipped as soon as they got it on last Monday.

I hope this helps.

Michael Yip
          Budapest

Comment

Thanks Michael. I should also have asked: Should Vol 1 be read before Vol 2 or are they independent works?
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hello

They can be read separately.
              Vol 1 covers 1.d4 d5 and emphasises the Catalan against 2.c4 e6
              Vol 2 covers 1.d4 vs anything else

I found 'Play the Queen's Gambit'-Schandorff is also useful for 1.d4 d5 2.c4. Schandorf stressess the QGD exchange variation as opposed to the Catalan and the Botvinnik Variation(D43) and Anti-Moscow Gambit against the Semi-Slav.

It's shorter, easier to read and has complete games.

When I got vol.1 I had to invest in 'Play the Catalan' to make any sense of it. It's just too deep for a non Catalan player to absorb.

Michael Yip

Comment

Working...
              X