Windows 7 and Fritz/Rybka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7 and Fritz/Rybka

Hi Gordon - I have had similiar problems with Fritz 12 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I was able to resove the issues by
    - updating Fritz 12 to the latest release #7 - from the application menu select activation, then update program.
    - update your video driver. In my case the Nvidia driver had been updated but Windows update didn't get it automatically.
    - you could also try resetting to factory settings (available under the view menu).

Hope this helps!

Dave Broughton
    Last edited by Dave Broughton; Tuesday, 9th March, 2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Dave:
      Thanks for the advice.
      My Windows 7 is fully up to date as is my video driver.
      I have already tried upgrading F12 to version 7, reinstalling fonts, reinstalling the whole works, standing on my head and whistling. At this point, screwing around with this stuff is cutting into my time for chess so I am purging my laptop of anything to do with ChessBase. I may try again at some point in the future.
      (Or I may switch to Convekta. Or Firebird.)
      Thanks again for all the input. I seem to have a bloody thumb when it comes to upgrading computers.
      Regards,
      Gordon

Comment

Dan
        Are you using F12 in conjunction with ChessBase10? That's when the problems arise on my laptop. The combination completely messes up the display of the engine output screen. BTW, in both cases, these are the latest versions of these applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
          Dave:
          Thanks for the advice.
          My Windows 7 is fully up to date as is my video driver.
          I have already tried upgrading F12 to version 7, reinstalling fonts, reinstalling the whole works, standing on my head and whistling. At this point, screwing around with this stuff is cutting into my time for chess so I am purging my laptop of anything to do with ChessBase. I may try again at some point in the future.
          (Or I may switch to Convekta. Or Firebird.)
          Thanks again for all the input. I seem to have a bloody thumb when it comes to upgrading computers.
          Regards,
          Gordon
          I had the exactly the same problem with Fritz 12. I am considerably less than happy with this glitch. Usually Chessbase software is better than this. I got around the problem by changing the font was used to display the analysis pane. I also changed the font size (made it a bit bigger -- Arial 14 pt). That seemed to help. Having changed two things at once, I'm not sure which one did the trick.

I think the installation has messed up some fonts though. Chessbase on my main computer now shows the analysis a little ugly looking. The same files look fine on CB Light on my laptop. So I think the fine folks at Chessbase have messed something up.

Overall I'm rather disappointed with Chessbase on this release of Fritz. Their QA should have been much better.

I have since applied Fritz 12 updates but I haven't bothered going back to see whether I can use the original font type and size.

BTW -- I'm running Win 7 64-bit.

Comment

With the help of a local tech wizard, Yusuf Yusuf, I have resolved most of the issues. The main problem seems to be the default installation of DirectX9 which appears to be strictly a 32-bit application. Direct10 fixed the problem of output display. There remain, however, serious issues with the misplacement of files. For example, the engines are now put in various folders making the Go To Fritz command inoperative. Also, it has lost various keys, etc. I suppose I can eventually track them all down but in the interim I am no more happy than you with the sloppiness of the folks at ChessBase.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              With the help of a local tech wizard, Yusuf Yusuf, I have resolved most of the issues. The main problem seems to be the default installation of DirectX9 which appears to be strictly a 32-bit application. Direct10 fixed the problem of output display. There remain, however, serious issues with the misplacement of files. For example, the engines are now put in various folders making the Go To Fritz command inoperative. Also, it has lost various keys, etc. I suppose I can eventually track them all down but in the interim I am no more happy than you with the sloppiness of the folks at ChessBase.
              Glad your solution worked. But doesn't Windows 7 come with DirectX 11? Something tells me that it is a 64-bit issue but maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone had Fritz 12 work perfectly on Windows 7 (64 bit)?

Comment

Working...
              X