Arbiter Training at Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbiter Training at Canadian Open

I would like to have a FIDE Arbiter Training session at the Canadian Open. The CFC Annual Meeting is on Monday and Tuesday and the Training will be on Wed, Thursday and Friday.

FIDE seminars to have new FIDE arbiters have only been obligatory since July 1st when the rules were changed.

http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/Re...ssArbiters.pdf

Basically: Philosophy of arbiting, Chess Rules, tournament rules, FIDE rating system, FIDE title system, Swiss pairings, tiebreaks, chess clocks ...
    Highly recommended to read Chess Rules, Title Rules and Rating Rules before the seminar. The seminar isn't for beginners in general and one needs 80% in the final examination to pass.

FIDE requires the training to be registered 4 months in advance.

We're looking for 10 interested people to make it a go. The costs, mainly to bring Stephen Boyd from France, will be under $2,000. So for 10 students will cost $200 each.

Please contact me if you know anybody who is interested.

Erik Malmsten jerik@idirect.com

Re: Arbiter Training at Canadian Open

Hi Erik,
    I'll be playing in the Canadian Open, therefore there won't time to attend the seminar's sessions for me if I would decide to take a part. Am I mistaken?

Comment

This FIDe arbiter trainin is a cheaper alternative (CAD 200) when compared to the training offered at the 2010 World Amateur Open (USD 250) in Chicao this coming March 22-25.

http://www.worldchesschamps.com/world-amateur/register/

But after becoming a FIDE arbiter, what's next? Does FIDE give support to FIDE arbiters, or you have to swim on your own? That is, find your own tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
        Hi Erik,
        I'll be playing in the Canadian Open, therefore there won't time to attend the seminar's sessions for me if I would decide to take a part. Am I mistaken?

The seminars, like the CFC Annual Meeting, will be in the daytime. It requires 15 hours of classroom time and then the exam so it will be like Wed, Thurs and Friday, 9am or 10 to noon or 1, 1pm to 3 or 4.

The games are in the evening, 6pm to 11ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
          That is, find your own tournament.
          Create your own :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Create your own :)
            Therefore, what is our motivation to take and finish this training?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
              Therefore, what is our motivation to take and finish this training?

If you need to ask the question, you won't like the answer!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Becoming a FA may not be of much use in life but it may open doors through the bureaucratic FIDE process of organizing / TD'ing tournaments. As useless as it may be to almost everyone, I think there's value in organizing a seminar in Canada during Canada's top tournament. When was the last time something like this happened in Canada, giving Canadian TDs an opportunity to become internationally legit?

Alex F.

Comment

Certainly, I do know the answer, Bob! No doubts about it at all!!

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                    Becoming a FA may not be of much use in life but it may open doors through the bureaucratic FIDE process of organizing / TD'ing tournaments. As useless as it may be to almost everyone, I think there's value in organizing a seminar in Canada during Canada's top tournament. When was the last time something like this happened in Canada, giving Canadian TDs an opportunity to become internationally legit?

Alex F.
                    :) This is an excellent idea. The Canadian Open venue is the perfect time to hold such a TD training clinic. Bolstering our ranks of Canadian FA's will aid in our capacity to hold quality tournaments.

Perhaps the CFC would consider sponsoring such an event.
                    Not 100%, but maybe splitting the costs 50/50. Participants pay $100 instead of $200.

What do you think? :)

Comment

:) This is an excellent idea. The Canadian Open venue is the perfect time to hold such a TD training clinic. Bolstering our ranks of Canadian FA's will aid in our capacity to hold quality tournaments.

Not 100%, but maybe splitting the costs 50/50. Participants pay $100 instead of $200.

Bob, we're on the same page, I actually sent Erik an e-mail suggesting just that :)

I do find it a bit expensive. Hopefully there'll also be more than 10 participants. Surprising that it takes someone all the way from France to do it. We don't have someone closer?
                      In any case, I'd be interested in the Arbiter Training.
                      It's a good opportunity to bring in new TDs / organizers.

Alex F.

Comment

I think that everything will clear up in practice. Lets see!

:)

Comment

Positively.

Comment

I thought Hal was going to try to get certified to do these things. Not sure what happened with that.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

No doubts, this is a good idea. I confirm that.

Comment

Working...
                              X