Quebec Junior - Kovalyov wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Junior - Kovalyov wins

GM Anton Kovalyov won the Quebec Junior with a perfect 5-0 score. Three other masters (Louie Jiang, Nikita Kraiouchkine, and Sankalp Modwal) tied for second with 4-1. 36 entries. Hopefully - games will be available soon.

Crosstable (scroll down):

http://fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?typ=...orie=1&id=2829

Re: Quebec Junior - Kovalyov wins

Too bad Anton is not changing his federation to Canada from Argentina. He'd be a great entry in the upcoming Canadian Junior in Toronto at Hart House. He'd be a formidable entry in the World Junior for Canada.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Too bad Anton is not changing his federation to Canada from Argentina. He'd be a great entry in the upcoming Canadian Junior in Toronto at Hart House. He'd be a formidable entry in the World Junior for Canada.

Bob
      I don't buy this kind of logic. Too bad we need to import players that are developed in other countries to put Canada on the map in chess. Too bad that homegrown players have almost no chance in the Canadian system ( only exception being possibly Calgary area ).

The pride Canada used to have developing players like Spraggett, Suttles etc seems to be long gone.

Comment

Bob
        Unless he were to transfer immediately, the new FIDE fee for him to switch to Canada is 30,000 euros, so I'm not sure if the CFC is that well off yet :)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          Unless he were to transfer immediately, the new FIDE fee for him to switch to Canada is 30,000 euros, so I'm not sure if the CFC is that well off yet :)
          30,000E !!!? That is preposterous.
          Only a crook like Illusionof could get away with that.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Last time I checked the GM transfer fee was 5,000SF - which I thought was absurd. All this money going to FIDE, to do what with. As far as I know FIDE does not put up the money for the World Championship match. They skim a hefty slice from the organizers of that event as well!
            Now if 80% of the transfer fee was going to the Federation that loses the player that would make some sense.
            Is there somewhere a FIDE financial statement? Or is someone simply pocketing the funds? If FIDE is a vehicle for thievery than Canada should secede from FIDE immediately.

Comment

The newer transfer fees (like the E 30k one) are paid directly to the prior federation. There may still be a fee to FIDE as well.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Kovalyov and FIDE fees

Relax guys!

The heavy money refers to quick transfers. Anton has been living in Canada for more than the requisite 2 years so it's only the FIDE transfer fee of 100-200 Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  I don't buy this kind of logic. Too bad we need to import players that are developed in other countries to put Canada on the map in chess. Too bad that homegrown players have almost no chance in the Canadian system ( only exception being possibly Calgary area ).

I agree and don't be too surprised if you see me playing under the US flag in the near future. There's just almost no benefits of myself staying. Only thing would be the Olympiad... but looks like that will be taken by imports judging by the rating list.
                  Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 18th March, 2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I agree and don't be too surprised if you see me playing under the US flag in the near future.
                    You will probably have to wait two years - or the USCF will have to pay the 30,000 euro "quick" transfer fee (would the CFC get part of this?).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      You will probably have to wait two years - or the USCF will have to pay the 30,000 euro "quick" transfer fee (would the CFC get part of this?).
                      As far as I know since I have US citizenship there is no quick transfer fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post

The pride Canada used to have developing players like Spraggett, Suttles etc seems to be long gone.
                        I don't think we "import" players. Some just happen to find refuge here for many reasons, our chess life I suspect not being the main one. What we need to import though from other countries are their ways to sustain a rich chess life instead of trying to reinvent the wheel at every turn.

Comment

But what would be the point for him to go the the World Junior, unless he would get paid to do so ? He is already a 2600+ GM! But last week-end he played (and of course won) the Québec Junior (!). Why ? Because at stake was a 2000$ expense account for future chess events, thanks to sponsorship by Pepsico, Fritolay and Quaker. My guess is that he will remain under the argentinian flag until he sees at least one good reason to change. That could be a well funded olympic team or a great Canadian Closed, whatever happens first...

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            But what would be the point for him to go the the World Junior, ... ? He is already a 2600+ GM!
                            The World Junior Champion title gave a spot at the World Cup. Don't know about this year. His rating is only 26xx ;) The last year 27xx played at WJC :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              The World Junior Champion title gave a spot at the World Cup. Don't know about this year. His rating is only 26xx ;) The last year 27xx played at WJC :D
                              The last year 27xx most probably got a fee from his federation, all expenses paid for him and his paid trainer. Within these conditions I am quite sure that Anton would like to play the Canadian Junior.

Comment

Working...
                              X