Karpov seeking FIDE Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karpov seeking FIDE Presidency

Former World Champion Anatoly Karpov has announced his candidacy for FIDE President. The election will take place at the Khanty Mansiysk FIDE Congress which will be held during the Olympiad, September 19 - October 4.

Re: Karpov seeking FIDE Presidency

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Former World Champion Anatoly Karpov has announced his candidacy for FIDE President. The election will take place at the Khanty Mansiysk FIDE Congress which will be held during the Olympiad, September 19 - October 4.
    Karpov was the World Champion for a few short years before losing the title to Kasparov. For years he tried to give FIDE some respectability by holding the title of FIDE Champion. To pretend to be the World champion after the defeats he suffered at the hands of Kasparov would have been a stretch.

Personally, I wouldn't expect much of a change of direction if Karpov wins. Not knowing who Russia is backing, it's hard for me to predict a winner.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Not knowing who Russia is backing, it's hard for me to predict a winner.
      Rumors say that RCF is for Ilyumzhinov.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Rumors say that RCF is for Ilyumzhinov.
        In that case I have to think Karpov is a respectable alternative who will split votes with whoever else might try to win. Maybe he will be a future president.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Karpov seeking FIDE Presidency

Well I don't know if he could change anything, but Karpov as a FIDE president would sure make a lot of publicity!

Comment

Working...
          X