New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Pawn Sacrifice to premier at TIFF

The movie was filmed in Montreal, with the collaboration of the FQE. The FQE office was litterally taken over by employees from the movie, who were trying to find all possible information about Bobby Fischer. They gave a lot of equipment to the FQE, including the huge demo boards used at the Canadian Open and CYCC. I believe Richard Bérubé is invited to the premiere (as the lead consultant of the movie.)

Comment

Re: New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

I agree, I think a younger James Woods would of been perfect. He has similar facial characteristics and mannerisms similar to Fischer.

Comment

Was it shown at the Montreal film festival?

The film is showing in the Toronto Film Festival:
        Thurs Sept 11, 6:30, Roy Thompson Hall
        Fri. Sept 12, 3 pm, Ryerson
        Sun. Sept 14, 6:30 Scotiabank

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefes...pawn-sacrifice

Comment

Thanks for the "heads up" Eric. I will probably go to the Sunday showing with my wife. Anyone else going?

Comment

Re : Re: New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            Thanks for the "heads up" Eric. I will probably go to the Sunday showing with my wife. Anyone else going?
            The Premier showing is next Thursday, Sept 11 - 6:30 at Roy Thompson Hall and all the cast will be there followed by a reception 8:30pm at the Pravda pub on Wellington Street (open bar for all - all night). I have been invited to play a six board simul at the pub (for an obscene fee!) and so I felt I should attend the showing. Unfortunately the ticket cost is $223 !!
            So for $500 I could buy two tickets and still have enough left over for cokes and popcorn! I think I'll pass :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

Yikes, I presume the tickets for later performances are cheaper. Luckily my wife gets comps for film festival, but she did not get invited to that Premier. Vlad, Tobey MacQuire aka Spiderman who plays Fischer in the movie is supposed to be an avid chess player, so watch out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                I've enjoyed some of Tobey Maguire's work, but I just don't see him as a convincing Bobby Fischer. Any suggestions? How about Jude Law...?
                Henny Youngman would have been a great Fischer. "Take my Queen...please."
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                  Luckily my wife gets comps for film festival, but she did not get invited to that Premier.
                  Sorry, stand corrected. My wife managed to get 4 tickets for the premier on Thursday. Not sure if my wife will want to go to the after party, but maybe I will see you at the party Vlad.

Comment

With the Cold War back with a vengeance, the timing for this film couldn't be better!

Comment

Fingers crossed that Pawn Sacrifice will be one of the entries at the Vancouver International Film Festival, which starts on September 25th.

Comment

Another interesting chess biography film is The Dark Horse, from New Zealand, a former bi-polar speed chess champion struggles with a gang and becomes a coach for at-risk youth. Based on the true story of Genesis Potini.

Sat. 1pm Bell Lighthouse 1
                        Mon 6:45 Scotiabank 9
                        Sat Sept 13 9am Scotiabank 2

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefes...the-dark-horse

Comment

You can buy tickets to the Premier now. $46 adults, cheaper for seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                            Another interesting chess biography film is The Dark Horse, from New Zealand, a former bi-polar speed chess champion struggles with a gang and becomes a coach for at-risk youth. Based on the true story of Genesis Potini.

Sat. 1pm Bell Lighthouse 1
                            Mon 6:45 Scotiabank 9
                            Sat Sept 13 9am Scotiabank 2

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefes...the-dark-horse
                            I got in for $20 in the Rush Line. A couple of masters also saw it. It was a heavy movie. A mentally-ill man needs a purpose in life and coaches a chess team. He's OK as long as he's on his meds and doesn't get too excited like yelling at a chess tournament which was funny. His brother is in a violent gang. Will his brother's son join the gang or play in the national junior championship? The chess was beautifully shot, except the championship winning game was silly. As a coach he has interesting ideas of incorporating Maori legends and team building. He died a couple of years ago, but the club still brings chess to a poor region, offering kids a chance to see other paths for their lives. I think it will be better than the Fischer film. Perhaps the two directors should play a game to decide who's better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                              David Fincher is an American filmmaker and music video director, known for his dark and stylish thriller movies, such as Se7en (1995), The Game (1997), Fight Club (1999), and Zodiac (2007). He received an Academy Award nomination for Best Director for his 2008 film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

David Fincher has attached himself to direct a film about American chess star Bobby Fischer, reports Variety.

The Se7en and Zodiac filmmaker is on board Sony's Pawn Sacrifice, which recounts Fischer's world championship match against Boris Spassky.

Tobey Maguire is producing the film and may take on the role of Fischer.

Oscar-nominated Dirty Pretty Things screenwriter Steven Knight has penned the movie and Fincher could make it after he completes Sony's Facebook project The Social Network.
                              Variety: http://bit.ly/1Bs0fWk "Tobey Maguire gives an angry, bristling performance as chess champ Bobby Fischer".

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                Variety: "Tobey Maguire gives an angry, bristling performance as chess champ Bobby Fischer".

Bob A
                                Spiderman playing Bobby Fischer? There's no justice. :D
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X