Chess Clubs in Toronto and GTCL area or across Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Clubs in Toronto and GTCL area or across Canada.

Can all the clubs either give details to the CFC for the Chess Club whether CFC or not that is up to date.

I have many parents and Adults contact me because either links or contacts no longer work on the other club Information on CFC site.

I just spent 1 hr helping a gentleman find a chess club he could fit into his schedule.

So if I'm having Trouble and I know many contacts, how do you expect JOE PUBLIC who wants to join a club to get info fast.
    This Gentleman contacted me because my info sends him to a human not a website that is no longer in service or the email is not current or phone numbers no longer work )Just an example )

If you want your club to grow and be contacted please send corrected information to the CFC , GTCL<SWOCL EOCA and Northern Ontario Associations.

You don't have to be CFC affiliated or CFC Rated to post your chess club .

I hope this post will bring new members to your club.

If you want to reply with proper club info here that's great.

I have sent many to other sites and Yes I was thanked for being Helpful. So let's get more chess players playing chess.

Re: Chess Clubs in Toronto and GTCL area or across Canada.

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    Can all the clubs either give details to the CFC for the Chess Club whether CFC or not that is up to date.

I have many parents and Adults contact me because either links or contacts no longer work on the other club Information on CFC site.

I just spent 1 hr helping a gentleman find a chess club he could fit into his schedule.

So if I'm having Trouble and I know many contacts, how do you expect JOE PUBLIC who wants to join a club to get info fast.
    This Gentleman contacted me because my info sends him to a human not a website that is no longer in service or the email is not current or phone numbers no longer work )Just an example )

If you want your club to grow and be contacted please send corrected information to the CFC , GTCL<SWOCL EOCA and Northern Ontario Associations.

You don't have to be CFC affiliated or CFC Rated to post your chess club .

I hope this post will bring new members to your club.

If you want to reply with proper club info here that's great.

I have sent many to other sites and Yes I was thanked for being Helpful. So let's get more chess players playing chess.
    Hi John,
    The GTCL website is now working on coding for chess club organizers to host their clubs information on our site and it will be updated on Google map automatically. The service will be done hopefully before the new annual year GTCL meeting. Keep on checking http://www.torontochess.org and see the chess information everyday changing in GTA area.

The tournaments events posting by TDs have been working for two months already and the new visitors keep on increasing every week and we got more than then TDs registered in our website and they can easily post their events on the website and automatically updating in the chess calendar.

We still encourage more TDs to sign up in GTCL website to benefits your chess events and our chess community.

Best Regards

http://www.torontochess.org
    William Yuan

Comment

I see no where on your site that lists all clubs in the GTCL.
      Maybe you can put a link here so I can look at what you have listed.

Comment

Hi John:

A Revised GTCL Constitution is coming to vote at the April 10 AGM. It states:

6.5. The duties of the Director of Communications shall be:

a) To maintain an up-to-date list of all clubs/ chess organizations, with addresses and contact information, within the GTA, both those with representatives on the Board, and those without. It shall note which clubs/organizations have a representative on the Board.

This will make a list mandatory.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob;
          I have little faith in the GTCL and I never support their ideas.
          When they revamp their Executive then maybe they will get my support.

Comment

Hi Bob;
            Hi John,
            I joined in Executive team 2 or 3 years ago. I have done my best to code GTCL website and update the website as many as I can. I would like call your memory to check the old GTCL website which I should thank Archive.org offered the archived webpages service for GTCL web at site address as: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...rontochess.org. I have no idea if you think GTCL website has no progress.

Unlike CFC webmaster got paid, all Executives are working for the community as volunteers. How's your expecting when you think people working for the community without paying and some of them have been struggling to find a job to raise their family?

By fair to check what you did for the chess community in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              up-to-date list of all clubs/ chess organizations
              Once I asked GTA chess clubs to inform me about their details ( http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2157 ). There were not many interested to do that.

The result is here http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9ef9bf3ae3a1b0
              Definitely some clubs are missing

R.Gillanders, when he was an ED, asked Canadian clubs update their information. Probably there were no interest or resources to update the website. (Maybe he would share his experience

Comment

William: I can see excellent progress on the GTCL website. I very much like the fact that you have found a prominent place for some Canadian blogs!!
                'Chess in the Library' links, also on the main page, captures the spirit "Youth
                shall be served".
                My favorite innovation is the Tournament rating of ads by readers. This helps
                players decide which events to participate in.
                So, all in all, from my perspective, the GTCL site is a big improvement from a
                couple of years ago.
                Well done William!

Wilf Ferner

Comment

Hi William;

Let's see now in 1982 I started the Peel Chess Club we have had 49 Peels since then I have run Six William F. Darch Memorials, and 5 John Allan Howard Memorials, I have assisted Mr John Erickson in at least 6 Niagara Falls Opens and have Donated numerous Upset Prizes to that event.

I have had Masters Lawrence Day , Ron Livshits play a match at my home,
                  I have had a Match between Master Hans Jung and Keith Wight and Recently I sponsored a Master event along with the last William F. Darch event. I also give !00 % prize money back at my events and I have made over 100 Friends in my Chess Career.

Now How much has the GTCL contributed to supporting the Peel Chess Club. the answer is 0 %. I never asked for support but of course I never expected it either.

So when the GTCL can show me that they can Promote and foster chess as their constitution entails then I will buy you a beer. As beer is more expensive then talk.

Your site looks good on paper but Mark Dutton at least sent me a club list of all the clubs in the GTCL. I have yet to see a link to clubs like the Oriloe Club which I was interested in joining or other clubs maybe I'm missing that stuff but it took me 1 hour to find a link to a chess club and it was in the GTCL area. So you ask unknown to join the GTCL and yet the unknown contact the PEEL CHESS CLUB for information.
                  I think there is a problem there or maybe I'm user friendly and Help people.

Comment

I was interested in joining or other clubs maybe I'm missing that stuff but it took me 1 hour to find a link to a chess club and it was in the GTCL area.
                    The next time post your questions here ;)

William Yuan: You included Calendar but removed Links. Have you an old version?

John Brown, your club was listed too ;)
                    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 19th March, 2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Once I asked GTA chess clubs to inform me about their details ( http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2157 ). There were not many interested to do that.

The result is here http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9ef9bf3ae3a1b0
                      Definitely some clubs are missing
                      Nice map. Maybe the GTCL web site could have a link to it. Or maybe they already do but I've missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
                        William: I can see excellent progress on the GTCL website. I very much like the fact that you have found a prominent place for some Canadian blogs!!
                        'Chess in the Library' links, also on the main page, captures the spirit "Youth
                        shall be served".
                        My favorite innovation is the Tournament rating of ads by readers. This helps
                        players decide which events to participate in.
                        So, all in all, from my perspective, the GTCL site is a big improvement from a
                        couple of years ago.
                        Well done William!

Wilf Ferner
                        Thanks for your nice comments, Wilf. Your encouragement made me working hard to finish the "Add your chess club" feature on GTCL website today.

Chess friends, try to post your club by going to http://www.torontochess.org

then

click menu "Chess Clubs" and

under the map find "Add your chess club click here" to enjoying prompting your chess club on the GTCL website which is the one of the most popular chess website in Canada.

One most important thing before you doing this work, you should login our site.

Best Regards

William Yuan
                        Last edited by William Yuan; Wednesday, 24th March, 2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob;
                          You have been a long-term organizer and have contributed to CFC-rated tournaments in the GTCL. I hope you can make it to the GTCL Annual General Meeting and participate in revamping the Executive. As I've done little work, I've offered to resign every year. You have correctly pointed out the failure to mantain the club list on our website. It irritates me that the GTCL has also failed to have the Toronto Closed FIDE rated or have the annual Speed Championship. I would love to see the GTCL assist in having chess in all schools and libraries and have better press coverage.

What the GTCL has done is run an inter-club team tournament, accept bids for long-weekend tournaments so that we don't have two tournaments on the same weekend, accept bids for championships (including women, junior and senior), report results and advertise tournaments on the GTCL website.

The GTCL is a side project for everyone involved, so little time is available. The GTCL is not an organizer, but coordinates and connects organizers. More could be done if more organizers participated.

Comment

Sorry Erik;

I have to support the chess community in Niagara Falls this weekend.
                            I have Upset Prizes and a special Prize this year to donate to the Niagara Falls Open. Not to mention that I'll be assisting John Erickson with running the tournament.

Oh I forgot I'm not supposed to promote or foster chess if I live in the GTCL

The GTCL won't change so I don't really feel my visiting a GTCL meeting would help. Only way they can prove me wrong is to revamp their executive and their way of promoting (if any) chess in the GTCL.
                            You have known my views on the GTCL for many years.

Changes that would help are:

1. Get Illa Blustein (spelling) or anyone promoted to President. His son is a GM surely he has some ideas on how to promote chess in the GTCL.

2. William has to stop thinking that a website will bring clubs closer to the GTCL. The GTCL has to go to the clubs. Once the Clubs have been found. then the GTCL has to support them. A team tournament should have players from all clubs competing not just elite clubs that win year after year.
                            The Website has to me dummy friendly. Too busy the way it is now. Make it simple with links to the complicated stuff. Parents or chess players who visit
                            the website want three things. a. where do I find out about clubs in my area and who to contact with days and times.
                            b. Is the club junior friendly?
                            c. What links can I click on to send me further into the GTCL information or links to other chess stuff?

3. ANY tournament run in the GTCL and has been accepted by the GTCL re through bid system should have GTCL support. I've yet to see GTCL support any. We even had the Toronto Open last Easter Weekend. Is Toronto not in the GTCL??? (Guess not)

The list could go on forever>>>>>>>

The GTCL will say we are all volunteers. Hey that word has become a joke.

Volunteers of what? I volunteer my time at any event. Just the last Toronto Open I sorted out the Chess boards by numbers so that one of the Hart House people could set them up fast. About 10 people were sitting and standing around watching me. Hey no one asked to help but they expect the tournament to start and run on time. Hello if you want to get going you have to help. Was I asked to do this job (no) did I ask if I could help (yes) did it take precise chess ability (no) did it help the Organizers save time (yes)
                            Did I get a star for the day( No ) but I felt I did something to HELP get the tournament set up.

If you take pride in your hobby and you see that you can throw yourself into the wolf pit and do something to promote and foster chess in your community then you are far better than the GTCL executive of today. Hey you could just help organizers set up tables and chairs or print up some flyers. But maybe you don't want to be Labeled as a VOLUNTEER WHO SUPPORTS CHESS then you'd be different from the rest and end up with a star on your hands.

Hope you get some solid movers and shakers at this year GTCL meeting Erik and Good Luck on your new GTCL position. Hopefully someone else would want that volunteer position.

Comment

A team tournament should have players from all clubs competing not just elite clubs that win year after year.
                              Clubs as well must show willingness to play. Nobody was declined to participate in Club Competitions - Premier, U2000, and Cup.

Results of finished U2000: http://www.torontochess.org/drupal/b...petition_u2000

Comment

Working...
                              X