Chess Clubs in Toronto and GTCL area or across Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Clubs in Toronto and GTCL area or across Canada.

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    Sorry Erik;

I have to support the chess community in Niagara Falls this weekend.
    I have Upset Prizes and a special Prize this year to donate to the Niagara Falls Open. Not to mention that I'll be assisting John Erickson with running the tournament.

Oh I forgot I'm not supposed to promote or foster chess if I live in the GTCL

3. ANY tournament run in the GTCL and has been accepted by the GTCL re through bid system should have GTCL support. I've yet to see GTCL support any. We even had the Toronto Open last Easter Weekend. Is Toronto not in the GTCL??? (Guess not)
    Thanks for your reply, John. Glad to hear of your support of Niagara Falls and the Toronto Open. If everybody at an event helped with set-up and take-down, there would likely be more people volunteering to organize events. Please continue to promote and foster chess in the GTC, as far as I know the GTCL does nothing to stop you and others from setting up chess displays at community fairs, shoppping malls, etc.

How could the GTCL have supported the Toronto Open better? We accepted their bid and advertised their event. The stars of Toronto chess organizing have not been the GTCL Executive but the Hart House CC, Chess in the Libraries, Scarbourgh CC, Willowdale CC and Mississauga CC. I hope they all continue their excellent volunteer work.

Comment

Hi Erik;

How could they have supported the Toronto Open a big Question and here is a little answer. SHOW UP> you did so did Illa.
      There was no GTCL info on tables no website info, no GTCL logos no info about Chess in Libraries there were lots of juniors there that could have jumped on the flyers.There was nothing GTCL related. I think if the GTCL wanted to be noticed as an organization would you not think that it should have had something on tables at the Toronto Open GTCL's Biggest City? I think the GTCL flounders too much and expects Organizers and TD's to do their legwork and then have their Big AGM and say look we did great. Sorry you did S..t.

Does this mean that if I run a PEEL tournament why do I need GTCL support I can advertise and run tournaments anytime I please.
      Really support means help it does not mean advertise. The organizers do that on their own. Oh maybe I should say that all my invitationals are all GTCL sanctioned and get on my knees and beg them to let me run a tourney.
      If I waited for the GTCL I'd probably need a wheel chair, I'd be so old.

Another question
      the SWOCL events collect a fee to go towards their Grand Prix.
      I don't see GTCL grand Prix any more. What happened have they lost their volunteer to do a spread sheet?
      I'll support any organization who fosters and promotes chess. The GTCL has not shown me diddle squat.

In fact the PEEL CHESS CLUB is strongly considering joining SWOCL and supporting their organization where chess is not only Fostered and supported but it is also far more friendly and they have an Executive who believes that the chess player is more important than how many are coming for coffee.

Comment

Thanks very much for telling us how to be much better at networking at tournaments and more supportive. I remember in the 1970s the (G)TCL freely distributed a list of chess clubs ( 8.5 x 14 paper, both sides). But info such as the calendar of events has switched to the website only. It would be good to have a paper copy to distribute to clubs.

I think the Grand Prix was discontinued because a) complaints about taking money out of the prize fund, away from class prizes, b) lack of organizers of weekend tournaments (until Hart House revived them) (including Labour Day organizer withdrawing from the Grand Prix) and c) it wasn't increasing attendance.

I also should have mentioned other stars of Toronto chess have been the chess teachers including CMA, Ted Winick's CIC, Oriole CC, and Roman Pelts. Not all chess activity has to be CFC-rated.

Comment

Well Erik it is just another way to show people you are out their serving the clubs.

If no new club knows about the GTCL existing how do you expect the GTCL to contact them?

Comment

Working...
          X