Olympiad selection lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad selection lists

I think the CFC jumped the gun naming the selection lists on its Forum web site. Its own rules (according to CFC Handbook, Section 12, on the CFC's web site - http://www.chess.ca/section_12.shtml) state that the period for eligible minimum number of games (10) goes for 180 days before the start of the Olympiad. That means games played until Monday, March 22 should count.

So, by posting the "FINAL" list too soon, some players are denied a chance to qualify. Once again, the CFC is ... breaking its own rules? misinterpreting its own rules? interpreting its rules as is convenient?

David

Re: Olympiad selection lists

Games are not counted until they are rated. Next CFC rating calculation will be next Wednesday, March 24, less than 180 days before the Olympiad.

Comment

Re: Olympiad selection lists - CFC is wrong

Ilia,

So you are going to use laziness as your excuse? The rules say that games count if they are played more than 180 days before the Olympiad. That means all games played through Monday, March 22 count. You should use the March 24 rating list, and eliminate games from March 23 & 24 by hand.

David

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
        You should use the March 24 rating list, and eliminate games from March 23 & 24 by hand.
        Then I require to wait till May and use FIDE May rating list too, as there are many FIDE rated games played by Canadians till March 19 (or 22), and demand David Cohen to do all eliminations :D

Comment

I think the way it would work is that the games would count as games played towards the minimum 10, but ratings are whatever is published as of 180 days before the olympiad.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Ilia,

So you are going to use laziness as your excuse? The rules say that games count if they are played more than 180 days before the Olympiad. That means all games played through Monday, March 22 count. You should use the March 24 rating list, and eliminate games from March 23 & 24 by hand.

David
            David, I think you're comments of laziness etc are a bit harsh! Ilia has published the list promptly, and has explained their rationale. Using the last rating date as the cutoff seems reasonable to me.:)

Perhaps this issue has come up before. If there is a historical precident that contradicts the committee ruling, then maybe an appeal (if needed) is warranted.

The bigger issue is getting a fundraising effort underway.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              The bigger issue is getting a fundraising effort underway.:D
              Isn't it a bit premature to be getting players hopes up BEFORE the CFC has made a firm committment to send teams?

If the fundraising is going that badly, and the CFC isn't going to put up the money, why not just forget the teams this year?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

According to David Cohen it seems like there's a conspiracy at the CFC! There are much bigger issues to tackle then the minutia of the CFC handbook, which changes constantly anyway. Why don't you lay off pal?

It would be a disaster to not send an olympiad team this year or any other year. We have had excellent success in recent olympiads and have a number of strong young players to showcase to the world.

Maybe if the David Cohens of the world would stop complaining about nothing and pony up some dough, we wouldn't be in this situation. I intend to make a donation towards the olympiad team this year, good luck CFC in sending our teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  If the fundraising is going that badly, and the CFC isn't going to put up the money, why not just forget the teams this year?
                  Never too soon to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Bertrand View Post
                    It would be a disaster to not send an olympiad team this year or any other year. We have had excellent success in recent olympiads and have a number of strong young players to showcase to the world.
                    Much more interesting to showcase wily veterans! Strong young players are jumping up all over the place these days just like popcorn. Boring and annoying. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Bertrand View Post
                      Maybe if the David Cohens of the world would stop complaining about nothing and pony up some dough, we wouldn't be in this situation. I intend to make a donation towards the olympiad team this year, good luck CFC in sending our teams.
                      Daryl, that's a bit harsh!:(

I would remind you that David Cohen was instrumental in raising funds for the Olympic team two years ago. He has every right to raise legimitate questions about the selection process.

Two years ago, the Olympic teams was funded solely by member donations without subsidy from the CFC coffers. With or without CFC financial support, I predict we will again be sending both Olympic teams!:)
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 18th March, 2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Never too soon to give up.
                        Normally our teams simply get beat up.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

hey, when will the list be done?
                          Sincerely,
                          WCM/WNM Yelizaveta Orlova

Comment

So, by posting the "FINAL" list too soon, some players are denied a chance to qualify.
                            I think those players should not leave everything for the last minute ;) Did you know about this match before posting your note, David?
                            http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=201003029

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              I think those players should not leave everything for the last minute ;) Did you know about this match before posting your note, David?
                              http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=201003029
                              I hope the Nava's match games are not later so that WIM Nava could be listed in the Women Team.

Then I would like to know the two final teams picked.

Comment

Working...
                              X