Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Canadian Open - players

Tom,
    Doyle Brunson goes on at length in his new autobiography about the differences between tournament play and cash play. Negreanu is also discussing it in a book I'm currently reading. They both emphasize that in tournament play the key is to survive.

Comment

Re : Re: 2010 Canadian Open - players

Louis Morin wrote:
      Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      All you have to do is to introduce random pairings.
      Hugh Brodie answered:

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      That's exactly what was done in the first Canadian Open (Montreal, 1956).
      Of course there was no ratings in 1956, so random pairings were the only way for Swisses tournaments, and it did not attract so many people. However, there were no big entry fees, no big cash prizes, and no huge publicity directed at the general public and stating that everybody had a decent chance to win big bucks.

Another observation is that the best player (Larry Evans) won this tournament, with no outsiders making any big impression. But with only a few dozens players with so many rounds to play, this result was inevitable, the best players had to prevail. However, with several hundreds players or even a thousand players (mostly coming from the general public), some complete beginner would have a really decent chance to get through with first place, since 9 or 10 rounds would probably not be enough for the strongest players to catch up with him.

Comment

3 more entries.

I'll update a list later.
        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 26th March, 2010, 08:46 PM. Reason: miscounted

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          7 more entries.

I'll update a list later.
          Why not to add those new chessplayers to the whole list and show it off to the public that the interest in this tourney is growing, Egidijus?

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
            Why not to add those new chessplayers to the whole list and show it off to the public that the interest in this tourney is growing, Egidijus?

:)
            That I'll do and will start a new fresh thread >> http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2953

There were not 7 new entries, only 3. (7 are for other meaning...)
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 26th March, 2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
              Jim,

So, are very much in favor with the World Open's Class Section Prize distributions!

If someday, an organizer(s) will put up a tournament similar to the World Open's in Toronto, will you be the first one to pre-register even with high entry fee?

Will you join in any tournaments if the Class Section Prize Distributions is similar to the recently concluded Maurice Open in Quebec City? Similar prize distributions to all the sections including the Open. They attracted over 200 participants annually.

The Hart House Toronto Open is going to be held next week and you participated and won in the last tournament of your section, with your criteria of ratio and proportion on the entry fee and prize distribution in the Class Sections, you don't seem to participate this time! What made you join the last tournament with pretty similar prize distributions as the incoming Canadian Open 2010?

Your previous answers/feedbacks were very practical, perhaps may be taken by new chess organizer(s) into account for consideration in future tournaments. Wait and see, your dreams might become a reality!
              Maybe. But still I am in doubt a Canadian event can attact that many chessplayers. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to to the Toronto Open but probably not. It's not because of the tournament, which I am fine about the prize distribution and the entry fee - its just for other reasons I don't enter all the major events, just a couple a year.

Comment

Working...
              X