Trolling for chess cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling for chess cash

At Susan Polgar's blog today, there is a post about Canada's participation in the 2010 Olympiad:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...-olympiad.html

Early comments are funny and bound to get more abusive... ;-)
    (and no, I did't make any of the comments...)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Trolling for chess cash

Polgar blog says "Presented by Chessdom" - http://reports.chessdom.com/news-201...d-canada-teams

Comment

Well, it DOES say we are a frequent participant... like, every time for the past 46 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        At Susan Polgar's blog today, there is a post about Canada's participation in the 2010 Olympiad:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...-olympiad.html

Early comments are funny and bound to get more abusive... ;-)
        (and no, I did't make any of the comments...)
        That's actually pretty funny. It reminds me of those great American Icons, The Beverly Hillbillies.

Personally, I wouldn't play on a team that is being laughed at Internationally on Blogs.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Don't forget that it is April 1.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            That's actually pretty funny. It reminds me of those great American Icons, The Beverly Hillbillies.

Personally, I wouldn't play on a team that is being laughed at Internationally on Blogs.
            Do you understand... this might be the perfect start. Something pure and new. No more late night television hours... or sleepless mornings. (;

I'm looking forward to the change. (:
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Not to mention the team members are incorrect.

Comment

Whats the deadline to raise these funds in order for the team to participate?

Comment

Hi David:

The FIDE website gives this date, which seems critical:

" 3. Deadline for registration for teams and Congress participants is May 20th. Registration should be made electronically only, according to the instructions which will be a part of the official invitation. "

I don't know if CFC will go ahead and register the 2 teams by that date, regardless of where the fund-raising is at. I don't know if there is any penalty for registering teams, and then later withdrawing. But it would certainly be good to know we had the money, when we register our teams.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi David:

The FIDE website gives this date, which seems critical:

" 3. Deadline for registration for teams and Congress participants is May 20th. Registration should be made electronically only, according to the instructions which will be a part of the official invitation. "

I don't know if CFC will go ahead and register the 2 teams by that date, regardless of where the fund-raising is at. I don't know if there is any penalty for registering teams, and then later withdrawing. But it would certainly be good to know we had the money, when we register our teams.

Bob
                    I've noticed a couple of times there was a left-over surplus:

Surplus from previous years $1,945.07

on this page: http://www.chess.ca/misc2008/donors.txt

which can be reached by clicking on the link for "List of donors" on this page:

http://www.chess.ca/index_e.shtml

The almost $2,000 surplus seems rather high considering all the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands the last time around about whether we could afford to send a X-X-chromosome team and whether there could be coaching etc.

Anyone know the details about the surplus? just curious...

Comment

Anyone know the details about the surplus? just curious...
                      "(c) The appearance fees paid to each player shall not be confidential and the CFC Executive shall inform the Governors of such payment."

Maybe no one want to feel embarrassed with a small appearance fee? :) (I, as a Governor, once asked what fees were paid. No answer...)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        "(c) The appearance fees paid to each player shall not be confidential and the CFC Executive shall inform the Governors of such payment."

Maybe no one want to feel embarrassed with a small appearance fee? :) (I, as a Governor, once asked what fees were paid. No answer...)
                        What does that have to do with the surplus in the Olympiad fund??

PS: most Governor's questions remain unanswered (assuming you are asking the Executive...)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

It's nice to have a rule, just in case. As far as I know no such fee was ever paid to anyone.

Comment

What does that have to do with the surplus in the Olympiad fund??
                            All other expanses, probably, were covered. Where cold you spent monies else? ;)

Comment

Gary, ironically you have played plenty of correspondance events on the premise that they represent a sporting competition of some type. So I guess you don't follow your own rules do you.

Comment

Working...
                              X