• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trolling for chess cash

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I've noticed a couple of times there was a left-over surplus:

Surplus from previous years $1,945.07

on this page: http://www.chess.ca/misc2008/donors.txt

which can be reached by clicking on the link for "List of donors" on this page:

http://www.chess.ca/index_e.shtml

The almost $2,000 surplus seems rather high considering all the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands the last time around about whether we could afford to send a X-X-chromosome team and whether there could be coaching etc.

Anyone know the details about the surplus? just curious...
    Kerry, I believe the surplus is only $ 150.07, I took at look at my files last night and I think it is a simple honest bookkeeping error. Some of the tax receipts from the Umbra fundraiser were not processed until February 2009 due to problems with the accounting software. A regular upgrade to the software accidentally deleted a custom template for tax receipts.:o
    I corrected the Jan 2009 financials for the late tax receipts. It looks like Gerry missed my adjustment and those donations got reported twice. :o

No big scandal here, just a simple oops. I will follow up with Gerry and get it corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      Gary, ironically you have played plenty of correspondance events on the premise that they represent a sporting competition of some type. So I guess you don't follow your own rules do you.
      Duncan,

The way the Smiths play over the board chess, it's not a sporting competition either.

Aren't you glad you brough this up?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well, we can't comment on how the Ruben's play at the Chess Olympiad because no one in your extended family has ever qualified to play in the event. By your logic the Chess Olympiad is not a sporting competition. That is up to the general public and the chess community to help define, but certainly the public needs to know that correspondance is not relevant in the modern computer age. I'm glad to have the chance to clarify that.

Comment

Well, we can't comment on how the Ruben's play at the Chess Olympiad because no one in your extended family has ever qualified to play in the event. By your logic the Chess Olympiad is not a sporting competition. That is up to the general public and the chess community to help define, but certainly the public needs to know that correspondance is not relevant in the modern computer age. I'm glad to have the chance to clarify that.
          I have to admit I don't know why you continue this. Probably it's a condition you can't help.

Other people have children who play correspondence chess and I suppose your comments refer to them as well.

One Blogger who has shown nothing but kindness to you and yours has a wife who played in the last correspondence Olympiad representing Portugal in 2008. Your comments have to be insulting.

What is it with you Smith?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, I feel that organized chess in Canada cannot succeed until a more modern viewpoint is established asap. This requires a more realistic evaluation of all forms of chess and what is involved in succeeding at them. There is nothing wrong with excelling at a hobby or taking pride in one's effort. But clearly correspondance in today's world is not relevant to the idea of chess as a sport, an ideal that the Chess Olympiad is trying to maintain. This is what I mean by relevancy.

Almost no children in Canada choose correspondance chess. They choose active otb chess at the CMA. Even that group is shrinking these days. If the CFC and the CMA want to survive in a modern world, they have to stay relevant. Part of this relevancy is an accurate portrayel of the challenges in OTB Chess Olympiad.

I would like to believe that many participants in correspondance have a more realistic view on their activity then you do. If I'm wrong, well you'll have so many players active well it just won't matter what I think will it ? I don't think I'm wrong, and like with otb chess a more realistic appraisel of the game will be the best chance of survival.

Comment

Ok dudes, here are my top 10 favourite movies. I've included some screenshots as well. :)

All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001)

Summer's Tail (2007)

Chungking Express (1994)

Fallen Angels (1995)

Last Life in the Universe (2003)

A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)

2046 (2004)

Suzhou River (2000)

Kontroll (2003)

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

Comment

Gary, I feel that organized chess in Canada cannot succeed until a more modern viewpoint is established asap. This requires a more realistic evaluation of all forms of chess and what is involved in succeeding at them. There is nothing wrong with excelling at a hobby or taking pride in one's effort. But clearly correspondance in today's world is not relevant to the idea of chess as a sport, an ideal that the Chess Olympiad is trying to maintain. This is what I mean by relevancy.

Almost no children in Canada choose correspondance chess. They choose active otb chess at the CMA. Even that group is shrinking these days. If the CFC and the CMA want to survive in a modern world, they have to stay relevant. Part of this relevancy is an accurate portrayel of the challenges in OTB Chess Olympiad.

I would like to believe that many participants in correspondance have a more realistic view on their activity then you do. If I'm wrong, well you'll have so many players active well it just won't matter what I think will it ? I don't think I'm wrong, and like with otb chess a more realistic appraisel of the game will be the best chance of survival.
                Well, Duncan, first you have to learn to spell "correspondence". I can understand a typo, however, you appearantly don't know how to even spell what you don't like.

You really should explain your points to FIDE. All our international titles are approved by FIDE.

Most Canadians who play chess can be found on servers playing versions of correspondence chess. Most you'll never find in CFC rated events.

The only team medal Canada has ever won at a Chess Olympiad is in Correspondence Chess. That was a third place Bronze.

I haven't heard the CFC is sending an Olympic team this year.

When I play on a team I'm always willing to pay my own expenses. I'm a competitor and don't expect anyone to pay my way. Possibly that's the model the CFC should use. The 5 strongest players who are willing to pay their own way.

Regarding children, I'm still waiting to see some compete with adults in Curling in the major events. Have a look at what Lucas posted. He still hasn't grown up.

If you think the CFC is the answer, kindly tell me the question.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  If you think the CFC is the answer, kindly tell me the question.
                  Like it or not, the CFC is recognized by FIDE as the governing body for Chess in this zone (not sure what that encompasses anymore...) and the CFC is not likely to give that up. Therefore the CFC has to reform. How that will happen with the current Executive and Governors is not at all clear (in fact, I don't think it is likely or possible)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Like it or not, the CFC is recognized by FIDE as the governing body for Chess in this zone (not sure what that encompasses anymore...) and the CFC is not likely to give that up. Therefore the CFC has to reform. How that will happen with the current Executive and Governors is not at all clear (in fact, I don't think it is likely or possible)
                    The CFC has very little visibility in Quebec which is about a quarter of the population of the country. When I wanted strong players for the CCCA I used to look in Quebec.

It wouldn't take much to build a new organization and apply to FIDE to be recognized to become the governing body for chess in Canada. If some bright guys could build an organization, put up a web site and attach a server to the site, organize events by server as well as over the board and sign up 4 or 5 thousand members they would have a chance.

I build the CCCA to around 700 members so 5,000 for a national OTB organization should not be out of the question.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Oh, I see how it is. You'll talk crap about my top ten list, but won't even post your own? Yeah, that's real mature...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                        Oh, I see how it is. You'll talk crap about my top ten list, but won't even post your own? Yeah, that's real mature...
                        Your point is well made. In no particular order.

1. The national team losing to Iraq.
                        2, The CFC going from lots of members and very little money to lots of money and very few members.
                        3. A stimulating discussion about climate control.
                        4. Duncan's view of correspondence chess and my self control in not analysing curling.
                        5. A stimulating afternoon at the seniors club playing cribbage - and enjoying it.
                        6. Needling the ICCF about their incompetence, on their message board.
                        7. A series of letters to my secretary, Miss HatchetHead.
                        8. The thought of driving along Hwy 401 and down the Don Valley Parkway for a weekday 6 PM Canadian Open start. Leave home at 3 PM.
                        9. Remembering evenings on the beach a long time ago.
                        10. A stimulating pictorial reply from Lucas.

How's that?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, as I said a more accurate portrayel of all these variants of chess is vital to the survival of chess in Canada. Your posts are deliberately misleading which make them propoganda.

For example, you cannot compare results in correspondence chess events to results in otb chess events. Period. Its apples and oranges. Let me illustrate why. In your game you are allowed to consult resources during your games ( eg chess books, computers, your notes, the internet, other people ) and make a move a day ( let me know Gary if the rules are changing ). Most of the skills that make for a strong otb competitor are not required in correspondence.

Those who remember their school days will remember that occassionally you might get an open book test. Well, correspondence chess is exactly like that test EXCEPT you get 24 hours to complete each question. Whereas OTB chess at the Olympiad is like an intensive exam. You get approx 2 hours to compete ALL your moves and no resources to consult.

Students past and present can relate to the huge differences between these challenges. Thank you Gary for giving me a chance to explain this.

I am also wondering about your claim that tons of Canadians are playing correspondence. I don't believe you, but I am open to actual figures proving this ( eg membership number and related fees ).

One thing I do agree with is you SHOULD pay all your expenses for your HOBBY. The real question here is what is the relevancy of this to OTB CHESS OLYMPIAD. The idea is this event is a sporting competition. If we are collectively deciding that ALL forms of chess are now HOBBIES well it would then not be surprising that most talented Canadian players would quit. Because OTB chess has REAL EXPENSES whereas your HOBBY has very little expenses.

I do understand that with a weak CFC and a very silent group of veteran OTB players in the background that it can be open season for propoganda. But I am delighted to make your readers more informed so they can see the full picture.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 3rd April, 2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't be bragging about a 65th place finish at the Olympiad. Behind El Salvador. That's what I call ugly.

Y'know, Smith, games where you toss rocks aren't exactly sports. Any fool can slide a rock down the ice. Most people sweep the kitchen. These rocket scientists sweep the ice. If they'd wait awhile the ice would melt and drain away.

Funny you should mention school. Did you attend? I have shown it's possible to teach an old dog new tricks. You are now spelling "correspondence" correctly. Your teacher couldn't teach you that one, but I did.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I wouldn't be bragging about a 65th place finish at the Olympiad. Behind El Salvador. That's what I call ugly.

Y'know, Smith, games where you toss rocks aren't exactly sports. Any fool can slide a rock down the ice. Most people sweep the kitchen. These rocket scientists sweep the ice. If they'd wait awhile the ice would melt and drain away.

Funny you should mention school. Did you attend? I have shown it's possible to teach an old dog new tricks. You are now spelling "correspondence" correctly. Your teacher couldn't teach you that one, but I did.
                              Gary, the only one bringing up results is you. Check all the posts here.
                              In fact, at this point, not a single person in my family is a CFC member or plays in CFC events. This gives me something I really didn't have for a while, the complete freedom to question any bs I read on this forum. I really don't care what you thnk and when you purposefully post propoganda meant to mislead others well I'm fully game to challenge you 100%.

Certainly you can continue your bi-annual habit of criticizing the results of Canada's two Olympiad teams. This is what we expect from you. We all have to remember you are just a "fan" with no experience yourself at the event.
                              You have about as much chance of qualifying as I do. And I read your idea that the Canadian women Curling teams "choked" at their events ( winning silver and bronze, no choke involved really ), and it just reminded me you have a very negative tendancy that flairs up concerning elite women's sporting events.

I have already invited you to be that "fool" and try Curling. TSN was reporting 1 million people play Curling in Canada. I think the figure may be a little high, but there are a ton of people playing. Trying to criticize Curling is almost a nonstarter, I can confidantly state that the number of members and the revenue involved absolutely dwarf any form of chess in Canada. The fact is if every single chess player in Canada actually hated Curling and joked about it all day it would have zero impact on Curling. Chess on the other hand needs all the friends it can get right now.

An observer might ask why on earth you are watching Curling if you hate it so much. You share this habit with at least a couple other people on this forum.

Comment

We need simply read Ruben's posts ( note I spelled his name correctly ) to understand the need for reform in Canadian chess. I'm quite serious when I say there is a real question of relevancy with respect to chess in Canada. I'm seeing less and less reason for talented young people to be involved in chess.

Comment

Working...
                                X