What can anyone tell me about this diagram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can anyone tell me about this diagram?

+

Re: What can anyone tell me about this diagram?

at a quick glance it looks like a draw no matter who is to move

Comment

if it's White to move, Nb6 looks really strong. Black can try Rb2+ and then take the Knight but it's not enough, White can sac the pawn eventually to get through, with tempos from the bishop.

If it's black to move... Rxg2 should be a fairly easy win.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

What can anyone tell me about this diagram? (2)

Sorry, I was not trying to be obtuse!

The " + " at the bottom of the diagram is a symbol used in studies that means White To Play And Win. I was looking for a solution and any reference regarding the origin of the study.

Comment

Hello,

1 a8=Q+ Ka8
          2 Nb6+ Kb7 (if Ka7 the rook is pinned)(if Kb8 then Nd7 with check)
          3 Nd7...
          to me looks winning.

Comment

+0311.55b4b7

but you already knew that. No, I didn't find it in the old endgame database.
            But it looks familiar. Could it be that it is not a study because there is more than one solution?

key (standard for endgames / studies)

+ White wins
            0 no queens
            3 one black rook
            1 one white bishop
            1 one white knight
            . separator
            5 five white pawns
            5 five black pawns
            b4 White's king position
            b7 Black's king position

Comment

Hi Ken This is an good study. I think this is the solution. I didn't Fritz it though.

1.Nb6 (if 1...Kxa7 2.Nc4 Kb7 3.Bxf2 gf 4.Ne3 stopping the passer)
              Kxb6 2.a8R!
              (2.a8Q?? is stablemate) Kc6 3.Bxf2 gxf2 4.Ra1 Kd5 5.Kb5 Ke4 6.Kb6 Kxf4 7.Kc7 Kxe5 8.Kxd7 f4 9.Ke7
              Last edited by Bill Evans; Monday, 11th August, 2008, 02:20 AM.

Comment

This was a composition by Jonathan Berry........

who was one of a team from Canada entered into the World Composition Tournament in 1981. Jonathan tells me that it was judged imperfect because it had a 2nd solution, albeit, not on the 1st move. Jonathan also says he can't even recall if this was his submission!

Here is the solution given with the entry: 1. Nb6! K:b6 2. a8(R) (2. a8(Q), stalemate and 2. a8(B) -/+) 2... Kc6 3. B:f2 g:f2 4. Ra1 Kd5 5. Kc3 (a) & (b) 5... Ke4 6. Kd2 K:f4 7. Ke2 K:e5 8. K:f2 K:d6 9. Ke3 Ke5 10. Ra5 d5 11. g3 +/- (a) 5. Rf1 g3 6. Kc3 Ke4 7. Kd2 K:f4 8. Ke2 K:e5 9. Kf3 f4 =; (b) 5. g3 Ke4 6. Kc3 Kf3 7. Kd3 K:g3 8. Ke2 Kg2 9. Rb1 g3 10. Rc1 Kh2 11. Kf3 f1(Q) 12. R:f1 g2 13. Rf2 Kh1 14. R:g2 =

Bill, You did pretty good stabbing at this. More than a stab, I'll guess!

I am going to FRITZ it and see what transpires. I am not nearly good enough to analyze it.

Comment

Re: This was a composition by Jonathan Berry........

Hi Ken,

Everything looks fine with the analysis 1. Nb6! K:b6 2. a8(R) (2. a8(Q), stalemate and 2. a8(B) -/+) 2... Kc6 3. B:f2 g:f2 4. Ra1 Kd5 to this point. My continuation of 5.Kb5(rather than 5.Kc3?) seems to win.
                  The basic idea is that the White King will bully his way around to raid the base of Black's Pawn chain and win all endings in a trot.

I have yet to Fritz it. I prefer to solve without computer assistance...leads to laziness and I don't need any more of that!

Comment

Working...
                  X