Just wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering...

I was in a bookstore in Montreal on this glorious weekend...I checked out the games section at a Renaud Bray (kinda like a Chapters-French style :)...there was very little...2 books on Poker, 2 on bridge...none on chess...I would appreciate knowing how well your local bookstore is stalking chess titles.

Thanks,

Larry

Re: Just wondering...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I was in a bookstore in Montreal on this glorious weekend...I checked out the games section at a Renaud Bray (kinda like a Chapters-French style :)...there was very little...2 books on Poker, 2 on bridge...none on chess...I would appreciate knowing how well your local bookstore is stalking chess titles.

Thanks,

Larry
    "stalking"? :)

Chapters is stocking the usual rubbish and not much of it...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Lol!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      "stalking"? :)

Chapters is stocking the usual rubbish and not much of it...
      Thanks Kerry :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Thanks,

Larry
        Both Chapters and Indigo in Montreal have shrunk their chess section. It seems like there were more books on poker than on chess.

In fact, their book section is shrinking in general. There seemed to be far more gimmicky knick-knacks than books. Everything is ruled by profit margins. If you go to HMV, you can see a similar trend where DVDs and Blu-ray are taking over from the music portion.

I was looking to pick up a few Ken Bruen books on Sunday. I ended up finding more used ones at Cheap Thrills than new titiles. Thank goodness for used book stores. :)

Comment

World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto used to have a not bad section of chess books, some Dover titles etc. but not last time I looked, actually the whole of WBB is not what it used to be.

Most other bookstores are poor, that includes McMaster U, Toronto U, Coles in the malls. Even BMV is pretty poor in Toronto.

Most will have some poker & bridge, and more poker and bridge than chess. A lot of crossword collections.

Comment

Indigo in Tecumseh had about 5 chess books today.
            Chapters at the Devonshire Mall in Windsor had about 15 or so titles. Their stock has shrunk a bit to a bit less than one shelf. Most of them were decent books.

The Chapters in London had only a few chess books back on the 27th of March.

The World's Greatest Bookstore claimed to have some but I wasn't able to find them in about 5 minutes that I spent there on Saturday. (I didn't look that hard since I had already filled up at the Toronto store of Strategy and Games.) The used book store next door said that they had some but there weren't any chess books that I could find.

Juniper Books on Ottawa Street in Windsor had a decent collection of chess books at one point last year. I put a big dent in their collection.

Vlad

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              Indigo in Tecumseh had about 5 chess books today.
              Chapters at the Devonshire Mall in Windsor had about 15 or so titles. Their stock has shrunk a bit to a bit less than one shelf. Most of them were decent books.

The Chapters in London had only a few chess books back on the 27th of March.

The World's Greatest Bookstore claimed to have some but I wasn't able to find them in about 5 minutes that I spent there on Saturday. (I didn't look that hard since I had already filled up at the Toronto store of Strategy and Games.) The used book store next door said that they had some but there weren't any chess books that I could find.

Juniper Books on Ottawa Street in Windsor had a decent collection of chess books at one point last year. I put a big dent in their collection.

Vlad
              Here in the U.S., the two big chains are Borders and Barnes & Noble. I've been to both in the past few weeks, and each has a Games section which I have to visit every time I'm there.

Poker definitely takes up the bulk of this section, but chess hasn't completely disappeared. Probably a ratio of anywhere from 5 to 1 to 10 to 1, poker to chess books.

I can't believe the World's Biggest Bookstore doesn't have any chess books. Wow, I remember their chess section used to be quite large.

Sign of the times, I guess.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                I can't believe the World's Biggest Bookstore doesn't have any chess books. Wow, I remember their chess section used to be quite large.

Sign of the times, I guess.
                The computer listed lots of titles. I asked one of the people working there where the chess books were and they directed me to an area where I didn't see any chess books. They may have been somewhere else but I was hungry and decided to look for a place to eat rather than spend too much more time looking for chess books which I probably wouldn't buy because I already have most of the ones that Indigo/Chapters/WBB sell. Occasionally you can find a bargain book on chess but lately it has always been books that I already own.

Comment

Here in Vancouver most of the local Chapters outlets stock a few recent titles from Gambit, Everyman, Batsford, and (occasionally) Olms. But it's clear they don't understand the market very well. If they sell a few copies of a particular title, they will order more of the same title instead of looking at the publisher's catalogue and figuring out that it might be good to stock a few other titles. One result is that we see Dangerous Weapons: Flank Openings (there's an oxymoron!) all the time.

Comment

I was at our local Indigo yesterday (Saint John). I would hamper the ratio of poker to chess books was about 10-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      I was at our local Indigo yesterday (Saint John). I would hamper the ratio of poker to chess books was about 10-1.
                      Add in sudoku and the ratio goes right off the scale!

Comment

I would say Newmarket (ON) Chapters has enough chess books (10-15 pcs) for a general audience - Kasparov, Fischer, MCO, etc., to make a gift to a novice chess player. For the advance one, the gift card is better :) I really like that they have Chess magazine, which I browse or buy from time to time.

As Neil Sullivan writes, it is really good to have used bookstores around (GTA). (Chess for the Beginner was found in one of them for $1.5 :) In one Toronto, I have seen old Informants, etc. It is pity that I'm not good with a descriptive notation, as much more old books available with this notation.

Comment

Chapters at Yonge &Eglinton is pretty good-about 20.In Florida in March I was at Barnes & Noble in West Palm Beach-they had a good collection 20-30 chess books and some I had never seen!!!!

My local Book store in Toronto has hundreds-Strategy Games on Mt. Pleasant.

Comment

If you are reading this Larry-I was in Ft. Lauderdale and many other venues in South Florida down to Key West and my conclusion is this: book stores are very hard to find,hence finding Chess literature is a real hunt!But ,at some Hotels/Resorts,I found some great wooden chess sets in the Lobby,lawns etc.and a couple of giant sets on patios in use,that was nice!

Comment

Working...
                            X