2010 oca agm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 oca agm

I have little interest in the OCA as an organization (other than what monies it withholds, say from the EOCA).

Can anyone (say Bob Armstrong) tell me whether if I fail to vote on OCA matters during a term as an OCA Governor (thanks to being a CFC Governor that term), would I lose my concurrent CFC Governorship (if I received one the same term) on top of losing my OCA Governorship (if I received a CFC Governorship) due to the inactivity rule I've heard there is for OCA Governors?
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Hi Kevin:

Not sure I understand for the present situation. At the moment there is no activity rule at the CFC level. There is not one at the OCA level. So there is no penalty at the moment for non-participation at either level.

When the Activity Rule comes in however, CFC can only apply it to the CFC Governorship. I think the OCA has to deal with what they do re the concurrent OCA Governorship. I guess they needn't deal with it until the rule is passed by the CFC governors at the Toronto July CFC AGM ( IF it is passed - it failed at the on-line meeting, and no results have yet been published re the governors " straw vote " that ended April 23 [ as called for in GL # 4 ] )

OCA has to deal with the issue of the replacement of a terminated CFC Governor - if they select a replacement CFC Governor, will that replacement be also the OCA Governor? ( meaning that termination of CFC Govenorship also would have terminated the OCA Governorship ). You might have one of your EOCA OCA Governors raise this at the OCA AGM on May 15 in Kitchener. They could send an e-mail to Michael von Keitz, acting OCA Secretary, to ask that it be added to the agenda under other business ( likely for the incoming governors meeting ).

Hope this helps. Any other comments from anyone on this issue?

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 11th May, 2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob

Here's something from the (latest?) OCA Constitution, which the EOCA Secretary managed to track down, given that the OCA website is conveniently offline:

"4.16 Automatic Vacancy – The office of any Governor shall be vacated automatically if the Governor, without reasonable excuse,
        fails to attend two (2) consecutive meetings of the Board or, in the case of voting through electronic means, such as fax, e-mail or
        telephone, fails to vote or to give notice of abstention on three (3) consecutive Resolutions."

I didn't seem to see anything in the OCA Constitution that stipulated that an OCA Governor would also be stripped of their CFC Governorship in the event of inactivity. It may be tacitly understood that they would be so stripped, given that the provincial association would seem to stand between a league (such as the EOCA) and the CFC in the pecking order when it comes to the right to elect (or appoint) governors. Otherwise the OCA's Governor inactivity rule could cause something of a conundrum for leagues/the CFC.

Anyway, I may hold my nose and vote on OCA matters when it comes the time, if only to act in the interest of the EOCA. I consider having to be an OCA Governor more of a risk to my good name than being a CFC Governor, which is all I really wanted to be.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 11th May, 2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Commendations, Michael, for stepping up to clean up the continuing mess at the OCA. Our requirements are simple: managing a very small budget with transparency, accountability and probity; passing on the funds owed to the regional associations; and promoting the marquee events in Ontario. If you are willing and able to undertake this, you will have my full support and I am confident you will have the support of Eastern Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            Since pretty much anyone with a pulse and a chequebook can get into the Canadian Closed, Canadian Women's Championship, Canadian Junior, etc. what is the point of holding provincial championships?

Personally I think the OCA has outlived its usefulness; it is simply another layer of bureaucracy.
            Unless the CFC returns to having stiffer criteria for getting into its Closed events, you are basically correct on both counts.

Unfortunately, the CFC needs money more than ever, so it has continued to relax its criteria for entry to its Closed events.

Until then, what I would like to see the OCA do, at least in my dreams, is to have a newsletter, including a President's message from time to time, and hold team leagues/championships/internet matches, along with senior championships. These the CFC doesn't have Closed events for at the moment.

That's in addition to the the now (arguably) symbolic Ontario Closed events you referred to, which the OCA seems to want to continue, and of course the Ontario Open.

I don't expect all of that to happen, so I'll be satisfied for now if the Incoming OCA Executive, whoever they are, met Gordon's minimum criteria for the OCA to make the EOCA content with it. That's beyond settling any remaining issues concerning the Trillium Fund that have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 11th May, 2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X