Keres Early Bird rate ends May 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keres Early Bird rate ends May 1.

The early bird rate for the Keres ends soon on May 1.

You can register online or by email or onsite.

See website for details: http://keresmemorial.pbworks.com/

35th annual Keres Memorial. May 22-24, Vancouver (Richmond) BC

Re: Keres Early Bird rate ends May 1.

The 35th Keres Memorial Chess Tournament will be held in the Delta Vancouver Airport Hotel. This location is accessible by skytrain and free shuttle from the Vancouver airport. Downtown Vancouver is 30 minutes away on the new Canada line. Parking is available on site. A rate of $5 is available by prior arrangement only (when registering indicate whether you would like 3 days of parking to receive the discounted rate).

The hotel is easily accessible by free shuttle from Vancouver International Airport (5 minute trip). Shuttles run every 20 minutes.

The Delta Vancouver Airport Hotel is offering a rate of $125 for players and spectators.

Enjoy the outdoor pool and riverside location. Please support our venue. It will help us organize future events at this location.

Check out Tourism Richmond for more on local attractions, public transportation and more.

http://tourismrichmond.com/visitors/event.aspx?id=4402
    Last edited by Brian Raymer; Friday, 23rd April, 2010, 09:45 PM. Reason: small edit

Comment

3 more days for early bird registration.

Join GM Rivas and IM Orlov in the 35th annual Keres Memorial.

33 pre-registered as of April 27.

Don't forget to ask for parking passes ($5/day).

Tournament web site: http://keresmemorial.pbworks.com/

Pre-registered list: http://keresmemorial.pbworks.com/Pre...ered+List+2010

Comment

Compared with the previous years, the EF went up. The playing area is nicer but is not central. One week later is the Washington Open next to Seattle, here is a parallel between the tournaments:
        BC
        $4000 GUARANTEED Prize Fund

Entry Fees:
        Open (FIDE): $100 by May 1, $130 by May 20, $140 on site.
        U2000: $100 by May 1, $110 by May 20, $120 on site.
        U1600 $80 by May 1, $90 by May 20, $100 on site.

Prizes:
        Open $1,000/$600/$400 U2200 $300
        U2200 $300
        U2000 $600/$400.
        U1800 $200
        U1600 $350
        U1400 $150

Special $125 room rate at Delta Airport Hotel

WA
        $8000 Guaranteed Prize Fund

Entry Fees:
        Open (FIDE): $79 / $89 / $99
        U2000 $69 / $79 / $89
        U1700 $59 / $69 / $79
        U1400 $49 / $59 / $69

Prizes:
        Open Premier Reserve Booster
        $1,000 $400 $350 $300
        $600 $300 $250 $150
        $400 $250 $200 $100
        $300 $200 $150 $100
        $200 $150 $100 $100
        U2150 U1850 U1550 U1100
        $400 $250 $200 $120
        $250 $150 $100 $ 80
        $150 $100 $100 $120(*)
        $100 $100 $100 $ 80 (*)

$95.00 per night for single, double, triple or quad.

($25 entry option for juniors under age 21 playing for medal only. Three medals awarded per section. Canadian dollars accepted at par (no coins).)

And free parking for everyone!
        ________
        ACID REFLUX ADVICE
        Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

andrei: there is a typo in your list of entry fees (Open before May 1 is $120).

We were careful not to change the entry fees up although we did eliminate a number of discounts (e.g. no discount for having a FIDE rating).

The prize fund is as large or larger than it has been for the last 5 years.

I presume the Washington people are either expecting a significantly larger crowd or have other additional funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            andrei: there is a typo in your list of entry fees (Open before May 1 is $120).

We were careful not to change the entry fees up although we did eliminate a number of discounts (e.g. no discount for having a FIDE rating).

The prize fund is as large or larger than it has been for the last 5 years.

I presume the Washington people are either expecting a significantly larger crowd or have other additional funding.
            Hi Roger,

This is from the old page, you can see that EF's are higher now in 4 cases (Early and On Site for Open & U2000) out of 9 and no more discounts for Juniors and Seniors (~75% of the players):

Entry Fees: (Open / U2000 / U1600)
            Before or on March 30, 2006 $110 / $95 / $80
            Before or on May 12, 2006 $130 / $110 / $90
            At site $150 / $125 / $100

Discounts:
            Born after May 20, 1986: 50% (proof of date of birth required)
            Born before May 20, 1941: 50% (proof of date of birth required)
            FIDE rated players w/o Titles 25%
            FIDE Titled Players Free entry

My point is, based on this changes the attendance will drop a lot. I hope I am wrong.
            ________
            Stocks To Buy Now

Comment

One thing you guys can agree on: the Keres entry fees are up *for US players*. In their own dollars.

Entry fees can play a psychological role. When the EF for me was $0, I made a special effort to play every year. Aside from the personal nostalgic reasons in connection with Vancouver 1975. Didn't always succeed, but I did play a lot in the Keres. They call--I answer, as often as possible. Now it's a flat entry fee. We might ask players to consider the fees and values and love of chess on their own merits, not to get too caught up in historical considerations.

If that doesn't work, organizers might consider the implications, financial and psychological, of offering incentives, but not necessarily at the historical levels of 50% and 100%.

The biggest difference from recent years is not the entry fees, but the location. The Hungarian centre with its Isten Hozott sign but funky East-side neighbourhood, versus an airport hotel. The second biggest difference (for me) is no Friday round in the Open Section. The event is 6 rounds this year, for everybody. I always took a 4th round bye anyway so maybe that's not such a big difference....

Comment

Hello Jonathan,

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                One thing you guys can agree on: the Keres entry fees are up *for US players*. In their own dollars.....
                Last edition was just ONE *US player* who payed the EF..not a big loss there

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                The biggest difference from recent years is not the entry fees, but the location. The Hungarian centre with its Isten Hozott sign but funky East-side neighbourhood, versus an airport hotel. The second biggest difference (for me) is no Friday round in the Open Section. The event is 6 rounds this year, for everybody. I always took a 4th round bye anyway so maybe that's not such a big difference....
                I hope you are right, but extra 50% and the slightly increase for EF for all the juniors/seniors (for last year I counted around 25) might be a factor. Time will tell, and that in less then a month.
                ________
                Group Live

Comment

Ya no free entry fee kinda sucks now, I'll be sitting this one out
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post

On site Entry Fees (2009): (Open / U2000 / U1600)
                    At site $150 / $125 / $100

On site Entry Fees (2010)
                    Open: $140; U2000 $120; U1600 $100

That's not an increase.

[edit made for clarification]
                    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Thursday, 29th April, 2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Keres is a Bargain

We've moved to a much, much nicer playing site, GUARANTEED a higher prize fund than last year and kept the entry fees the same. Granted, some players will have to do without the traditional discounts, but I always felt it was unfair to have these discounts in the first place. The playing field is a bit more equal this year in that regard.

Sure, the Washington Open can charge less because they will get twice as many players and will still earn a profit. Their prize fund payout per participant will be lower than the Keres.

I prefer to support a Canadian tournament.

See you at the Keres.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        Ya no free entry fee kinda sucks now, I'll be sitting this one out
                        At least no one can accuse you of being inconsistent :)

Comment

According to whom is the playing site much nicer? Sure, it's great for visitors, but for locals, the site is terrible. It's completely inaccessible by transit. There are no restaurants around it, and I don't find the prospects of either eating at an overpriced hotel restaurant all weekend or getting up early to pack a lunch each morning appealing.

As others have pointed out, the increased entry fee and the reduction of rounds are negative factors, but personally, the playing site is the main reason I've decided I'm not playing this year. I know that other Vancouver players made the same decision for the same reason.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Andrei wrote:

Compared with the previous years, the EF went up. The playing area is nicer but is not central. One week later is the Washington Open next to Seattle, here is a parallel between the tournaments:
                            A similar "parallel" exists between this years' Canadian Open and Quebec Open events. A 1900-rated player is eligible to win one of two U2000 prizes totalling $1500 in the Canadian Open (OK - also eligible to win a place prize - good luck!) - whereas the same player is eiligible to win one of five U2000 prizes totalling $2000 in the Quebec Open - for half the entry fee!

Comment

You were the guy who told me that the old Kingsway location was difficult to get to for locals..... I'm surprised that people would think the Shaw location last year was easier too.

There is a reasonably priced restaurant (part of the hotel) that is by the marina.

Comment

Working...
                              X