X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for Jean Hebert

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    So, Gary declines the invitation! I move up to board 4! :D
    Well, I didn't exactly say that. We still haven't discussed an appearance fee. :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I will talk to my friend from Bermuda (Nigel Freeman) who is the FIDE treasurer and see what he can do about an appearance fee.

I also think that we should set up a thermometer on some chess site (perhaps the Mississauga clubs with Bob Gillanders) and try to raise money for our non-official team to attend. If Jamaica can sent a bobsled team to winter Olympics and Britain can send a guy to the ski jumping competition (Eddie the Eagle Edwards), then why can we not play for Canada since the CFC cannot get its act together and raise money to send a team?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        ...try to raise money for our non-official team to attend.
        Wasn't the point of the list that the players would pay their own way, no fundraising necessary.

Comment

If Canada does not get the funds to send an official team could a bunch us Canadian hacks pay our own way and play for Canada?
          Im actually very curious about this. Alternatively, what if an interested player offered a substantial donation with the condition he be added to the team?

Comment

Not sure why it is not possible. I will email FIDE and ask them. In the meantime I will start a list for the unofficial Canadian mens team that will pay their own way!

1st board: Vlad Drkulec
            2nd board: Paul Beckwith
            3rd board: Gary Ruben
            4th board: Ed Seedhouse
            5th board: Bob Gillanders
            6th board: Paul Bonham
            Ummm sorry to break it to you guys, but I am a current provincial champion (Newfoundland) with a FIDE rating of 2107... I should have some rights to being on the team seeing as how I'm the champion of the province closest to the tournament site. (Ok it's a stretch, but worth a try) :)

I'll send the CFC my polite decline as soon as I receive the invitation. Our wedding business is keeping me far too busy for this trip to make any sense...
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Technically under the existing rules the CFC would have to decline - or get the Governors to vote a one-time-exemption from the bylaws.

I was always curious what the Govs would vote in certain cases. Like say someone offered $1M donation to the Chess Foundation, but only if the Govs reduce their number to 15. Now imagine a time limit of two weeks. Think they could do it? :p

Another one would be someone offering to fully fund the Olympiad teams including paying the players (so probably around $100k-$125k), but only if they got to pick the team (within reason ie. only FIDE titled players).
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                Ummm sorry to break it to you guys, but I am a current provincial champion (Newfoundland) with a FIDE rating of 2107... I should have some rights to being on the team seeing as how I'm the champion of the province closest to the tournament site. (Ok it's a stretch, but worth a try) :)

I'll send the CFC my polite decline as soon as I receive the invitation. Our wedding business is keeping me far too busy for this trip to make any sense...
                Actually, that would make you the champion of Newfoundland and Labrador. Danny Williams is always very careful to mention that designation.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  Technically under the existing rules the CFC would have to decline - or get the Governors to vote a one-time-exemption from the bylaws.
                  There are really only 2 scenarios for sending a team.

1. The CFC will spend some of their own money to send a team.
                  2. A tooth fairy will make a donation.

My money is on a tooth fairy. Like P.T. Barnum said....
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    How did this turn out? I cannot speak for others, but I would like to know.
                    These last few days I was in Kapuskasing, having been invited to attend the Youth tournaments organised by the Nadeau family. Great stuff and great people there.

I did get the invitation for the olympiad but since I had made my mind not to play I let the deadline expired. I was away when Ilya tried to contact me. The main reason (but not the only one) for my refusal is the travelling schedule. Arriving in Khanty-Mansiysk on the 19th and starting play about 12 hours later, after a 20+ hour trip and a 10 hour time difference simply makes no sense to me anymore. I know from experience; I was there not long ago. Even though I arrive in Khanty about 60 hours before the first game, it was still far from enough, for me at least. No sportsmen in any field would accept willfully to compete with such a handicap (except in special circumstances: $$$). They make sure to arrive at the competition site long enough to overcome jetlag.

I suspect for that reason that the canadian team will have a terrible first week, if not a disastrous overall performance. The fact that teams are now made up of only 5 players, compared to six in the past (which means fewer rest days), will only make things even more unbeareable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      There are really only 2 scenarios for sending a team.

1. The CFC will spend some of their own money to send a team.
                      2. A tooth fairy will make a donation.

My money is on a tooth fairy. Like P.T. Barnum said....
                      Gary, I would remind you that the olympic fundraising campaign of 2008 raised over 15k solely from CFC members donations, and sponsored both teams without the CFC dipping into general revenues. I don't see any reason why that can't be done again.

You might remind the tooth fairy that donations are tax deductible! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Arriving in Khanty-Mansiysk on the 19th and starting play about 12 hours later, after a 20+ hour trip and a 10 hour time difference simply makes no sense to me anymore.
                        The first round scheduled on the 21th 15:00 (local time), thus it would be more than 12 hours after arrival.

The jet-lag solution must be prepared at home (however who has time for that :D

---

I was in Kapuskasing
                        When your newsletter came yesterday with the report about Kapuskasing, I thought that there you have been (I don't understand French :(
                        Does anybody have/know a decent French-English translator for pdf files?
                        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 5th May, 2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

You might remind the tooth fairy that donations are tax deductible! :D
                          I said the Tooth Fairy. Not the Tooth Gary. :)
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There is a very effective solution on the market to overcome jet lag quickly. The solution is using the special lamps (for light therapy) that are used to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). I have heard from friends that they actually have a timed routine that almost completely eliminates jet lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              These last few days I was in Kapuskasing, having been invited to attend the Youth tournaments organised by the Nadeau family. Great stuff and great people there.

I did get the invitation for the olympiad but since I had made my mind not to play I let the deadline expired. I was away when Ilya tried to contact me. The main reason (but not the only one) for my refusal is the travelling schedule. Arriving in Khanty-Mansiysk on the 19th and starting play about 12 hours later, after a 20+ hour trip and a 10 hour time difference simply makes no sense to me anymore. I know from experience; I was there not long ago. Even though I arrive in Khanty about 60 hours before the first game, it was still far from enough, for me at least. No sportsmen in any field would accept willfully to compete with such a handicap (except in special circumstances: $$$). They make sure to arrive at the competition site long enough to overcome jetlag.

I suspect for that reason that the canadian team will have a terrible first week, if not a disastrous overall performance. The fact that teams are now made up of only 5 players, compared to six in the past (which means fewer rest days), will only make things even more unbeareable.
                              Thanks for posting your reasons Jean. I understand. What is hard to understand is why it must be that way or no way?
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

There is a very effective solution on the market to overcome jet lag quickly. The solution is using the special lamps (for light therapy) that are used to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). I have heard from friends that they actually have a timed routine that almost completely eliminates jet lag.
                                Don't forget your other solution, Paul: take a propellor driven plane instead of a jet. That way you also have no worries about volcanic ash.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X