Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Jean Hebert

Hello Jean,

The CFC (Gerry Litchfield) sent you an invitation to the National Olympic team two weeks ago with the deadline on April 30, 4 pm EST. When the invitation expires, the substitute shall be invited.

Please e-mail me immediately at ibluvsht@uniongas.com if you have not received the original invitation. In 24 hours the CFC will send an invitation to your substitute.

Ilia Bluvshtein,
    Olympiad Coordinator.

P.S. Anyone who knows Jean’s latest phone number and /or e-mail, please contact me at the e-mail address above.

Re: Looking for Jean Hebert

Please try this e-mail: jhebert1@videotron.ca

Comment

Or his website: www.hebertparleechecs.com

:)

Comment

Thanks.

Invitation was sent to: jhebert1@videotron.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ilia Bluvshtein View Post
          Thanks.

Invitation was sent to:
          Email has become very unreliable. The ICCF recently had to change the hosting for their server because email notification were not being delivered.

30 years ago when I wanted someone to play for Canada in correspondence chess I phoned them myself to ask.

This is too important for email with a short deadline.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ilia -

I have sent you a private message with Jean's phone number.

Hugh.

Comment

Perhaps Jean has seen the money thermometer on the CFC web site and does not think a team will be sent this year?

Comment

Please post your qualifications and experience sending emails so that Jean can accurately judge whether he should pay attention to your message.

Comment

Ilia,

Just curious as to why would you wait until after the deadline to find out if Jean received the initial invitation?

If you're going to give the courtesy of sending a follow-up, shouldn't you (or Gerry) do that a few days before the deadline to ensure he has a chance to review it?

Jordan
                  No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Ilia -

I have sent you a private message with Jean's phone number.

Hugh.
                    Hello Hugh,

I've not got your e-mail. Please re-send me the e-mail to ibluvsht@uniongas.com and/or contact me at (416)663-3594...if possible before 10 am as I'll be on the road ~ from 10 am to 4 pm.

Gerry tried to contact Jean at the phone number from the CFC file but that number is no longer valid.

Thanks,
                    Ilia

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Email has become very unreliable. The ICCF recently had to change the hosting for their server because email notification were not being delivered.

30 years ago when I wanted someone to play for Canada in correspondence chess I phoned them myself to ask.

This is too important for email with a short deadline.
                      Email alone has never been reliable enough. The 1996 (Yerevan) Olympiad team lineup would have been different.... the prospective team member was in contact with the CFC office by email, but when the place on the team became available, CFC staff looked up the player's email in their address book, rather than R(eply)-ing to any of the current messages (which were on other subjects). However, the email address in the CFC's electronic address book was old and invalid. Normally, things would still be OK because the mail would bounce, but in this case the recipient ISP was swallowing all the emails it was receiving. You'll notice that most teams at Yerevan had 6 players, Canada just 5.

The situation is worse in 2010 because of spamming. Jean's address is a public one (published on the internet) and therefore gets spammed. If he wants to use it, he has to practice spam filtering. The spam filtering software may have taken into account that the domain chess.ca not so long ago was compromised by malicious scripts. Or that the email had multiple recipients.... And poof, you do not have mail. That is analogous to Gary's mention of ICCF having to change servers.

Comment

Re : Looking for Jean Hebert

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Comment

Why so much upheaval. Jean Herbert is Canada's Recent Champion. His name should be on the list automatically and then if he tells you he is not interested in playing then you take the next player who by the way you should have already contacted as a sub by now. Really the CFC is beginning to be the biggest joke out there. Take the best team we have and use it if we can;t then just don't go. Simple but true.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                            Please post your qualifications and experience sending emails so that Jean can accurately judge whether he should pay attention to your message.
                            Priceless! :)
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              Why so much upheaval. Jean Herbert is Canada's Recent Champion. His name should be on the list automatically and then if he tells you he is not interested in playing then you take the next player who by the way you should have already contacted as a sub by now. Really the CFC is beginning to be the biggest joke out there. Take the best team we have and use it if we can;t then just don't go. Simple but true.
                              Beginning? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I have the feeling it's all moot anyway. There isn't enough money to send a team at this point, and with the current economic situation, it doesn't look like anyone is rushing to make a large donation either. It's quite sad really...
                              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
                              X