GTCL Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTCL Website

Is anyone else having problems getting to the GTCL website (http://www.torontochess.org)? I keep getting a DNS error. Some rummaging on the internet shows that the domain is registered to Barry Thorvardson with an expiry of May 1, 2011 and a recent renewal of May 1, 2010. Assuming it's not a problem on my end, it appears that the domain may not have been properly renewed.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Douglas; Monday, 3rd May, 2010, 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed link

Re: GTCL Website

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    Is anyone else having problems getting to the GTCL website (http://www.torontochess.org)? I keep getting a DNS error. Some rummaging on the internet shows that the domain is registered to Barry Thorvardson with an expiry of May 1, 2011 and a recent renewal of May 1, 2010. Assuming it's not a problem on my end, it appears that the domain may not have been properly renewed.

Steve
    The link in your post was 'decorated' with a spurious ")?" on the end, so that might throw off some folks... regardless, it looks like the domain is not properly registered at the moment.

http://www.torontochess.org/
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Thanks. I fixed my link. I wonder whether that domain now goes into a black hole.

Steve

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Thanks. I fixed my link. I wonder whether that domain now goes into a black hole.

Steve
        Dunno... maybe Barry was cleaning up things and removed the domain without realizing (or caring) that the GTCL was still using it. I suppose it could just as easily be something far less sinister; that is, a simple mix up.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Dunno... maybe Barry was cleaning up things and removed the domain without realizing (or caring) that the GTCL was still using it. I suppose it could just as easily be something far less sinister; that is, a simple mix up.
          Hi Kerry:

I wasn't suggesting anything sinister, and doubt that it's anything of the kind. But the site has been down for over two days, and some GTCL people who frequently post here, have been, ummm, suddenly infrequent.

I would think that if this is to be a prolonged issue, somebody would make an announcement.

Steve

Comment

Hi Kerry:

I wasn't suggesting anything sinister, and doubt that it's anything of the kind. But the site has been down for over two days, and some GTCL people who frequently post here, have been, ummm, suddenly infrequent.

I would think that if this is to be a prolonged issue, somebody would make an announcement.

Steve
            This morning I send an email to the GTCL Director of Communications, W.Yuan.
            Recently, I asked him to install one of game viewers. Hope it will appear with the website too :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Kind of bizarre. Here is the "whois" information:

Domain ID: D96778658-LROR
              Domain Name:TORONTOCHESS.ORG
              Created On:01-May-2003 18:24:06 UTC
              Last Updated On:02-May-2010 05:47:37 UTC
              Expiration Date:01-May-2011 18:24:06 UTC
              Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
              Registrant Name:Barry Thorvardson
              Registrant Organization:Greater Toronto Chess League

So according to this, the domain is valid until 2011. But an NSLOOKUP fails. Very strange! I think Steve Douglas is right -- something got messed up in the renewal. Although usually renewals are pretty simple. You give the registrar money (usually a credit card to bill against) and they simply extend the status quo for another 1 to 10 years.
              Last edited by Steve Karpik; Monday, 3rd May, 2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                Kind of bizarre. Here is the "whois" information:

Domain ID: D96778658-LROR
                Domain Name:TORONTOCHESS.ORG
                Created On:01-May-2003 18:24:06 UTC
                Last Updated On:02-May-2010 05:47:37 UTC
                Expiration Date:01-May-2011 18:24:06 UTC
                Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
                Registrant Name:Barry Thorvardson
                Registrant Organization:Greater Toronto Chess League

So according to this, the domain is valid until 2011. But an NSLOOKUP fails. Very strange! I think Steve Douglas is right -- something got messed up in the renewal. Although usually renewals are pretty simple. You give the registrar money (usually a credit card to bill against) and they simply extend the status quo for another 1 to 10 years.
                www.torontochess.org now takes you to a domain hosting page (apparently from tucows) saying that the domain has expired. I guess its time to go get another Trillium grant.

Steve

Comment

www.torontochess.org now takes you to a domain hosting page (apparently from tucows) saying that the domain has expired. I guess its time to go get another Trillium grant.

Steve
                  The torontochess.org website is still dead in the water. It's now been a week since the site was up and running. It really shouldn't be that hard for someone from the GTCL to either resurrect the domain name or select a new name if there are complications (problems with people not with technology being the more likely barrier if there are indeed any barriers). Not good for the GTCL's credibility to have a dead website. Shouldn't be any need for a Trillium grant though. :D

Comment

It's now been close to two weeks and it is still dead, although the WHOIS information has changed to indicate a problem with the automatic renewal.

Isn't the GTCL one of the organizers of the Canadian Open? This doesn't bode well.

Steve

Comment

Just bumping up here. Apparently nobody cares that the GTCL has ceased to exist. Their tombstone is hosted by Tucows.

Steve

Comment

Hi: I went to the GTCL website a few minutes ago. I googled it "GTCL chess"
                        and via a link on the OCA website. I both cases I got the site ok. I noticed Kevin Spraggett's blog dated May 24/10.

Wilf Ferner

Comment

This link works for me, and there is current news (last round of US championship), so something is going right.

http://www.torontochess.org/drupal/

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
                            Hi: I went to the GTCL website a few minutes ago. I googled it "GTCL chess"
                            and via a link on the OCA website. I both cases I got the site ok. I noticed Kevin Spraggett's blog dated May 24/10.

Wilf Ferner
                            Ok. I'm glad it's back up (it was still dead-in-the-water when I posted yesterday). I see it's now registered to William Yuan and not BT, and is hosted by GoDaddy.

I didn't notice anything in Spraggett's blog about this though.

Steve

Comment

I only mentioned Spraggett's blog with today's date, so that readers would
                              get the idea that the GTCL site has current information.

Wilf Ferner

Comment

Working...
                              X