One and only Anand-Topalov match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One and only Anand-Topalov match...

Donate the money to the CFC? Hahahahaha. No. So I guess no bet.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I guess not. Of course the odds would have to change in light of todays game...

Another fascinating game today (game 9). Anand has 2 rooks for the queen but is down a point overall although he does have drawing chances. They are on move 38 at 11:45 EST.

Comment

The game is even more fascinating now. I revise my initial view that Anand is playing to draw, he may have some winning chances. Not a deep analysis on my part, just a gut feeling...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          Not a deep analysis on my part, just a gut feeling...
          you may read some G.Kasparov's thoughts about this game at
          http://www.chessnc.com/en/online

Comment

Why would anyone be interested in Kasparov's analysis when they have Beckwith's analysis on chesstalk?

Comment

46. h5.... Excellent move by Anand; Topalov is doing the chair rock and face grab with both hands, looks nervous now...

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                you may read some G.Kasparov's thoughts about this game at
                http://www.chessnc.com/en/online
                I'm at that site and it looks like the comments are by GM Sergey Shipov, not Kasparov.

But I looked at some of the previous games, and I saw that Shipov wrote this in his introduction to the 7th game:

"Gary Kasparov admitted that the 4th game has reminded him of the best games of his bygone chess confrontation with Karpov. The same domination, the same knight on d6 , the same full-scale play all over the board. And the fact that actually loosing move 20. ..h6? has been successfully recommended by computer programs, in his opinion, is a bright feature."

So it looks like computer programs don't see the ramifications of Nxh6 and Qxh6, which Anand and most other GM strength players would. I wonder if it's a question of search depth, or is it a question of eval functions not properly accounting for structural deficiencies? My guess is the latter.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  I'm at that site and it looks like the comments are by GM Sergey Shipov, not Kasparov.
                  you're right: analysis is by Shipov with some input by Kasparov.

Comment

Final result, a draw. This is my favourite game of the match so far, a real tooth-and-nail battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      ... I'm married now ...
                      Tom,

When the heck did that happen???

Jordan
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Match at 4.5 all. Another close match today, Topalov has a slight edge with the bishop pair on an open board. The passed central pawn could either be very strong or a target...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                          Match at 4.5 all. Another close match today, Topalov has a slight edge with the bishop pair on an open board. The passed central pawn could either be very strong or a target...
                          Ten games have now been played and the match is tied. So the score must mathematically be 5-5 currently.

I notice you posted today, so I am assuming you know that game 10 was also drawn without much difficulty on Anand's part.

I notice that at "The Week in Chess" they are making it seem like Anand was under great pressure in today's game but I saw no hint of this, and on all three commentary sites I was checking there was never any feeling that Anand was in any trouble, really. Mark Crowther says things like:

This ending quickly became most awkward for Anand and many commentators were saying that it was close to lost, at least in practice.
                          But I don't see it. I was also following this with Rybka and never at any time was there any plus beyond a very small fraction of a pawn for Topolov. Neither Polgar or the commentator at "Chessdom" gave any hint that Anand was in anything like serious trouble.

Now I am sure that, given the chance, I could have easily lost that position for black myself, but then I could also have lost it for white! But if someone can point out where in that whole game Anand was in any real danger I will be surprised indeed.

I think, rather, that this game improves Anand's morale going into the last two games since he held game 10 with black much more easily than the previous few blacks.

Feel free to point out where I am being foolish on this.
                          Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Friday, 7th May, 2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X