Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Four cheap ideas that might improve Canadian chess a bit

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    ...chess is such a weird game I never told my wife I knew more than the moves until after we were married.
    Might a female chessplayer have been just as shy about telling her non-chessplaying beau :)?

With the modern computer age, geeks of all sorts are far more common :).
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

If you like the organization and the way things are done that's fine. If you don't then put up with it or do what has to be done to change it.
      To be fair to Duncan, there are other alternatives if one doesn't like the organization and how it works. Leave the organization, or don't join it. And/or gripe, and/or make suggestions without being an organizer, say on chess message boards, and hope someone else will make the changes. Or form one's own chess organization and seperate.

However one (or other parties) often would lose out, one way or another, if one chooses any of these alternatives.

Hence asking to choose from only your two options, for what to do if one doesn't like the organization and how it works, has aways been the old school way.

FYI, I accepted to be nominated as an alternate choice for CFC Governor last Thursday, in the event that the Eastern Ontario Chess Association is entitled to five Governors this year (at the moment we don't know how many exactly we're entitled to). In the end all the choices for EOCA CFC Governor (or alternate in my case) were acclaimed. So, in a short time I should know if I'll be making a comeback as a CFC Governor :).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        Might a female chessplayer have been just as shy about telling her non-chessplaying beau :)?

With the modern computer age, geeks of all sorts are far more common :).
        I have no idea. I thought female chess players tended to marry male chess players. It's actually an interesting topic.

These days you can get a game online anytime of the day or night.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
          So, in response to an idea of getting adult women to play in tournaments to attract more men, you instead suggest.......... getting more young girls to play. Hmm.
          Einstein was not a handsome fellow
          Nobody ever called him Al
          He had a long moustache to pull on, it was yellow
          I don't believe he ever had a girl
          One thing he missed out in his theory
          Of time and space and relativity
          Is something that makes it very clear he
          was never gonna score like you and me

you don't know about
          Quark, Strangeness and Charm
          Quark, Quark, now
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I was just stating the reality. My opinion doesn't matter what matters is the choices the women make regarding chess and their role.
            The CFC is what it is. For example, the women's Olympiad team has to guarantee their expenses, the national Olympiad team does not.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 9th May, 2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              FYI, I accepted to be nominated as an alternate choice for CFC Governor last Thursday, in the event that the Eastern Ontario Chess Association is entitled to five Governors this year (at the moment we don't know how many exactly we're entitled to). In the end all the choices for EOCA CFC Governor (or alternate in my case) were acclaimed. So, in a short time I should know if I'll be making a comeback as a CFC Governor :).
              Did you ask yourself if you think the CFC is worthy of having your good name involved with the administration of the organization?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Did you ask yourself if you think the CFC is worthy of having your good name involved with the administration of the organization?
                Hi Gary

Firstly, technically speaking, administration of the organization (at least day to day) is largely in the hands of the Executive. I don't plan on running for the Executive, though I'd think twice if asked (see earlier in this thread). Then there are non-Executive officer positions like the Ratings Auditor, towards which I'd have similar feelings.

Secondly, the CFC has no outstanding dark clouds hanging over it at the moment, unlike the OCA. So the thought of much risk to my name didn't cross my mind. Plus the CFC isn't losing money anymore at the moment, afaik. It's bottomed out. I hope that I haven't been seen as too guilty of being a fair-weather friend of the CFC, given that it took such a disasterous storm not so long ago for me to cut loose.

Nowadays, as a result of the recent financial storm that I have alluded to, the CFC has been gutted of its main assets, not counting the Foundation (which the majority don't seem to want to raid). As far as I can tell, the only way that the CFC will bring in some serious cash from now on, unless fresh significant enterprises can be undertaken, is hopefully that donations will continue and membership will increase, which may happen if simply no further serious mistakes are made by the organization. Such as too large an increase in membership fees, possibly.

My main reason to (possibly) become a Governor again, besides being asked, is that I'd like the possibility to have a vote at EOCA Board meetings, and being an EOCA CFC Governor gives me that vote. Unlike the OCA, and perhaps the CFC, some would say, the EOCA is doing fine, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X