The Olympic Team Selection: (Some) Clarification‏

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Olympic Team Selection: (Some) Clarification‏

It would be interesting to list all potential Olympiad players ( both genders ) and how many FIDE rated games they played in the most recent selection period.
    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 1st June, 2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

perhaps what Eric means is that performance against his peers is what matters most and that for competiters at the national level , their peers are international in scope - hence FIDE ratings are a better measure.

perhaps what Duncan means is that not withstanding all that, a rating is only as good as the statistical and participation basis behind it. For a FIDE rating, that is roughly 75 games a year for a K factor of 10. Not many Canadians of any level meet that standard.

Comment

I see no reason why anyone on the selection committee should be below Master strength - how are they going to do any kind of good job otherwise?

Ideally, I'd want to see players with Olympiad experience on the committee!
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          I see no reason why anyone on the selection committee should be below Master strength - how are they going to do any kind of good job otherwise?
          One could ask why there are so many patzers on the CFC executive. You have to understand I'd never ask, but the question does follow your logic.

:);):D
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well the CFC Exec doesn't strictly deal with masters, whereas the Olympiad Selection Committee does - hopefully!!
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I think that for future olympiads it might be a good idea to have the selection committee more representative of the different regions, to avoid the perception of bias. I would difinitely not want to accuse the members of the committee of having bias, but the perception exists, nevertheless. In Alberta quite a few people are expressing frustration that even though for the first time in many years two Albertans were very much in the running for the team, none of them seemed to get a serious consideration. In any case, of course members of the selection committee should be of at least FM level players.

Comment

Does anyone else find it ironic that we are now debating how to select the selection committee?
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  perhaps what Eric means is that performance against his peers is what matters most and that for competiters at the national level , their peers are international in scope - hence FIDE ratings are a better measure.

perhaps what Duncan means is that not withstanding all that, a rating is only as good as the statistical and participation basis behind it. For a FIDE rating, that is roughly 75 games a year for a K factor of 10. Not many Canadians of any level meet that standard.
                  Hi Roger:

Thanks very much for replying. The problem with *any* rating is that is generally only representative of local playing conditions. Wherever your "pocket" of competition is, determines your rating.

(begin obvious anecdote)
                  Suppose for instance, that you and I played at our local club and (really imagine here!) I were to regularly trounce you. Yet you were the one who regularly, and seriously played in two or three FIDE-rated tournaments per year, while I played maybe one every second year as a lark. Which is more important? The CFC rating (which would favour me in the circumstance I describe) or the FIDE rating (which would favour you)?

What happens when you leave the club for greener pastures abroad and never play a game in Canada again?
                  (end obvious anecdote)

As I said, thanks for replying. I don't have answers. I'm just asking questions. (It's hard to "nit-pick" a categorical dismissal.) For the moment I think the blended rating criterion is fine, and if the elite players would rather see it changed, and maybe it should be, then they should publish a statement via the Masters Rep and put a motion in front of the governors. I'm not aware of anything like that having happened or even attempted.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                    It would be interesting to list all potential Olympiad players ( both genders ) and how many FIDE rated games they played in the most recent selection period.
                    the National team: starting from 9 and some had ~90 or maybe even more for the period 2009 March - 2010 April.
                    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 2nd June, 2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      For the moment I think the blended rating criterion is fine, and if the elite players would rather see it changed, and maybe it should be, then they should publish a statement via the Masters Rep and put a motion in front of the governors. I'm not aware of anything like that having happened or even attempted.
                      It is not hard for them to write "Good" or "BS" in the thread which I started :D

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

What happens when you leave the club for greener pastures abroad and never play a game in Canada again?
                        (end obvious anecdote)
                        You keep the rating.

My last CFC rated game played was around 1974 and they still use it even though I doubt I'll ever play another CFC rated event.

These days it's the internet. Isn't the 21st century great?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ideally, I'd want to see players with Olympiad experience on the committee!
                          When I was on the committee many moons ago, we were all around master strength (I think I was around 2100 and the other two were clearly experienced masters). However, I don't think master strength is really any factor - it's not like the committee goes through and analyses games. When we did our picks we looked at:

Last 10 CFC ratings (to see trend)
                          Last 10 FIDE ratings (to see trend)
                          Record (win/loss/draw) in current year, and average opponent rating
                          Record (win/loss/draw) vs 2400+ opposition in current year

From there, it was generally pretty clear who was playing well at present and trending upwards, vs those that were not playing well and trending downwards or maintaining their rating vs guppies. None of this required master strength.

Comment

Well there's always the clear criteria: Canadian Champion + 4 by selection committee, and if Cdn Champ declines go down the list of the Closed in order.

Not sure how well that would go over, but at least we wouldn't have to be nitpicking rules every time. Don't forget, the rules are as hard to comprehend for those in charge as they are for everyone here!
                            Castling is king over two, rook on the other side, but to describe castling precisely takes a surprising level of abstraction. At the 1996 FIDE RC, the rules revisor attempted to simplify the wording, but I came up with a counterexample during the meeting. When FIDE publishes a loose rule on castling, a problemist is sure to come up with a composition that exploits the hole; ... nick of time.

Just hazarding a guess, I'm thinking that the existing handbook section resulted from somebody thinking that it was too complicated and dropping a clause, which happened to involve players declining their invitations.

Be that as it may, it is not a license to go against what wording is there, nor to go against practice.

Incidentally, once you've done the arithmetic, going down the selection rating list in order is no more difficult or nitpicking than going down the names of finishers in the Closed; in fact it may even be less so if you have a tie in the Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                              I think that for future olympiads it might be a good idea to have the selection committee more representative of the different regions, to avoid the perception of bias. I would difinitely not want to accuse the members of the committee of having bias, but the perception exists, nevertheless. In Alberta quite a few people are expressing frustration that even though for the first time in many years two Albertans were very much in the running for the team, none of them seemed to get a serious consideration. In any case, of course members of the selection committee should be of at least FM level players.
                              Vlad, the problem is not with the composition of the Selection Committee, it is with the fact that the rules specified that they were to choose one player, but in fact they were made to choose three. You would not have needed to make the comment if the Selection Committee's choice of GM Pascal Charbonneau had been processed in accordance with tradition and precedence.

But given this brave new world where the Selection Committee might choose the entire team, yes, one will likely get more political about choosing the Selection Committee. This is yet another reason to wish that the process had been more regular.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                                it's not like the committee goes through and analyses games.
                                The method which you used could be codified, thus slightly juggling the figures in the Selection Rating List. I kind-of like the method, mind you, but aren't we looking at a recursion of methods? What I mean is, once the tendency is reflected in the SRL, eliminating the need for a committee, won't somebody still want a committee for intangibles?

When the strong Masters, Brian Hartman and Denis Allan, were the selection committee in 1994, they did keep in the backs of their minds the games actually played in the 1994 Zonal, and I guess didn't hold the candidates' previous chess sins too heavily against them.

For the 1974 Olympiad in Nice, France, Zvonko Vranesic was to choose the entire team as a cohesive unit. But the CFC Governors could not swallow his actual selection. Years passed. It was my understanding that the purpose of the later Selection Committee was to choose one or two pieces that would make the rest of the jigsaw fit together as well as possible. Although there was also the obverse, to avoid choosing players vetoed by the other strong players, or whose behaviour bothered others in the team. But hush hush. Anyway, I was never on a Selection Committee, so have no firsthand knowledge. But I do remember speaking with a key team member who told me that he would not have played if Player X had been on the team, and indeed, Player X was not on the team! And another time having a similar exchange with a different key team member in a different context. Before the conversations, I had no idea that anybody had anything but the greatest respect for either of the two shunned players! Neither one was an alcoholic. No, I'm not going to say who the key players were, nor the shunned players. I regard the details of the conversations as being off the record (though both were told to me openly, with witnesses present). I'm mentioning it to confirm that "keeping the peace" has been among the Selection Committee (or maybe the CFC office's administration)'s unwritten mandates.

Comment

Working...
                                X