Which rating to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rating to use?

As you may know, 3 of the National and Women teams members are selected based on their average of the highest CFC and FIDE ratings.

1207. Selection Ratings

Selection of players for the Teams by rating shall be based on the average of the player’s highest CFC rating and highest FIDE rating during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).
    However, this formula might be not very fair for the players who participate mainly abroad and do not report their results for the CFC rating calculations, as the CFC ratings became inflated compared to FIDE for the top level players. (the CFC vs FIDE ratings comparison at http://www.chess.ca/CFCvsFIDE.htm )

As the Olympiad is the tournament with foreign players, I think it should be more reasonable to use parameter (e.g., FIDE rating) which would show the strength on the international level. Thus, as the CFC governor, I am looking for general opinion on this matter, and if it would be positive I would move a Motion to change it. (At the same time I would look for the seconder)

(Your poll choice will not be visible to the public and to me but to administrators)
    Yes, only FIDE
    48.84%
    No, leave it as it is (CFC+FIDE)
    44.19%
    other; please explain.
    6.98%
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 1st June, 2010, 11:11 AM.

Re: Which rating to use?

Actually, everyone in the entire world should be under one rating system. It's absurd that one can have up to four different classical ratings living in this country. Example: FIDE, CFC, FQE, and USCF. All varying wildly by as much as 300 points in some cases, and I'm not talking provisional ratings either. With today's technology, one's rating could be standardized and instantly calculated no matter where one plays. There is no longer any excuse for not having a single rating system. The time has come...

Comment

Re: Which rating to use? FIDE Ratings

Hi Mike:

Coincidence - on May 19 on the members' CFC Chess Forum I posted:

" A) FIDE Rating System - I would like to see the CFC system replaced by the FIDE rating system ( is for over 1200’s ) – I see no benefit in Canada having a separate system ( a position long espoused by IM Tom O’Donnell I believe ). CMA, if they’d agree to rate adults, could certainly do the U 1200’s – though technically I’m not sure how this would happen when both over 1200’s and U 1200’s are in the same cross table. But I’m sure there is an answer. "

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Mike O'Connor View Post
        Actually, everyone in the entire world should be under one rating system. It's absurd that one can have up to four different classical ratings living in this country. Example: FIDE, CFC, FQE, and USCF. All varying wildly by as much as 300 points in some cases, and I'm not talking provisional ratings either. With today's technology, one's rating could be standardized and instantly calculated no matter where one plays. There is no longer any excuse for not having a single rating system. The time has come...
        In theory this idea looks orderly and logical but is no more acceptable than having one single world wide government, or even one single government in Canada. Concentrating powers in one place is a very dangerous thing, which is why in our parliamentary systems we have three separate powers, executive, legislative and judicial that balance each other to avoid power abuse.

These days we see quite a few complaints about CFC rating fees being too costly. If enough people agree, this can be changed. But imagine for a second that FIDE controls worldwide ratings. What would happen if, for example, dictator Iloumzhinov suddenly decides to triple or quadruple rating fees for small nations with less than 3000 players ? What could we do about it ? For that reason and many others there will never be one single rating system unless one day the planet is under the boot of a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship.
        How many rating systems do we need then ? Just enough. Not too many but not too few either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          How many rating systems do we need then ? Just enough. Not too many but not too few either.
          Absolutely correct! Well said Jean.
          Having more than 1 keeps them all honest!
          Instead of replacing the CFC rating system with FIDE, lets improve it! The solutions are easily within our grasp! :)

I look forward to the day when other countries abandon FIDE ratings in favour of the CFC ratings! ;) What, it's possible!

Comment

A pretty good case could be made for switching to CXR.

http://www.cxrchess.com/

Various clubs in Canada and around the world are using it because a) they are affordable at $7 / year per player with no tournament rating fee; b) they offer better stats than a mere rating. At the Kingston Club we found that many players didn't play anywhere else and they were happy to quit paying the CFC. I am hoping that the day comes when the CFC out-sources it's rating services to CXR who do a better job, cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Instead of replacing the CFC rating system with FIDE, lets improve it! The solutions are easily within our grasp! :)
              I think the poll is about which rating to use for the Olympic selections. The rational put forward being since the team will be playing those from other nations, those on the team should be the ones who have shown they can do well against players from other nations.

There is validity in this position.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

World Rankings

I don't necessarily agree with Jean and Bob G's responses here. I'm not advocating a single world government, just a uniform chess rating system. And if FIDE is corrupt, as it may very well be, then it should be held accountable and/or morphed into something new; an open and transparent chess federation that can honestly represent the game and the players who participate in rated tournaments throughout the world. perhaps I am dreaming but look at the "world" of tennis, golf, and FIFA esp., just to name a few organizations which use global rankings. People (teams) know exactly where they stand on a daily compared to others in the entire world. Today, in this country, it is possible for someone in Ottawa rated as an expert player of 2000 CFC to be only a Class B player FQE just across the river 1KM away in Gatineau. Totally absurd! Again, I am stressing that it is the technology that is now ready for such an instantaneous system of ratings to function effectively. The politics, that is entirely another issue entirely I know, but if the will is there there may be a way...

Comment

Re: World Rankings

An interesting article somewhat regarding this issue was on chessbase recently. I know that most of those successful countries do have national ratings as well, which would be beneficial to those under 1600 perhaps. I think having two systems in Canada is fine, (although having FQE and CFC is silly). But for the higher levels of chess, FIDE rating is the most accurate way to judge strength and how someone will perform in an international playing field like Gary mentioned.

Comment

...Instead of replacing the CFC rating system with FIDE, lets improve it! ...
                    The last "improvement" is exactly what has caused the CFC rating system to become ridiculous. It's not as if this is some sort of secret or couldn't be predicted.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with Jean and Bob G's responses here. I'm not advocating a single world government, just a uniform chess rating system.
                      In the chess world ratings are a big thing and it means power and money directly or indirectly. Why do you think there are so many systems ?

Perhaps I am dreaming but look at the "world" of tennis, golf, and FIFA esp., just to name a few organizations which use global rankings.
                      These rankings apply only to the elite players, the professionnals. And it make sense that the international bodies take care of their international players. But what FIDE is doing is different. Before they had an elite system for international players worth at least 2200. That was fine and it gave value and distinction to obtaining such ratings. Now it is extending its tentacles over the rank and file player and in so doing they are weakening their affiliates, the national federations, and devaluating FIDE ratings to increase their power over each and every federation, and each and every player.

Comment

Absolutely correct! Well said Jean.
                        I have got to be careful Bob. A few more posts like this and you could fall into the 50/50 group, or worse, in the top group which would be totally intolerable. :)

Comment

Tennis for sure has multiple levels. I know back when I was taking a few lessons I was looking at obtaining an Ontario ranking (never got around to it) through some tournaments.

I did like the one post a couple years back where someone (Hal maybe?) pointed out that no single country on the FIDE Ratings Commission actually has its own rating system.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            I did like the one post a couple years back where someone (Hal maybe?) pointed out that no single country on the FIDE Ratings Commission actually has its own rating system.
                            That is not surprising. FIDE does not want people defending national ranking systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                              As I understood, there is no now such commission, or at least it's called more generally "Qualification Commission". ( http://www.fide.com/fide/directory/f...task=committee and http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category ) It has at least one member from the country with own ratings - Germany (DWZ)
                              W.Anand has DWZ too with the latest result from World Championship :D
                              http://www.schachbund.de/dwz/db/spie...?zps=10614-209

Comment

Working...
                              X