Osias Bain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osias Bain

I am looking for information about Osias Bain.
    Canadian Chess Chat had the following information about him in its March (3) issue for 1951:
    "Osias Bain, 22, is planning to sharpen the ordinary chess player's conseption of organized chess in Canada.
    This young mental giant, the product of Quebec, finished High School at the age of 14, graduated from Laval University at 20, and is doing post-grad work in physical chemistry at Laval, in the field of Infrared Spectrometry.
    In chess: he won the Quebec City titel in 1947-8-9, the Quebec Provincial, co-starring with Jack Gersho in '48.
    He became Secretary of the Chess Federation of Canada in 1948".

His father's name was Rubin.
    I'd like to know if he is alive (he is 80-81 years old now). If yes, I'd like to get any contact information.
    Last edited by Yakov Zusmanovich; Tuesday, 1st June, 2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: Update.

Re: Osias Bain

If you have learned anything more about Osias Bain, I'd be pleased to know. I am working in the archives of the Gaberbocchus Press and am writing brief biographies of the press's authors for research puposes and can give you a little information about Bain, but would like to know more.
    On 13 October 1960 he advertised in the personal column of The Times : 'Imperturbable publisher of distinction sought for primitively written, controversial, most tendentious 45,000-word typed manuscript by Canadian D.Sc.' The author Stefan Themerson, who ran the Gaberbocchus Press replied and after some revision Gimani- from Gide, Marx, Nietzsche- was published under the pseudonym Edmund Héafod- itself a joking reference: The French poet Paul Valéry invented the alter ego Edmond Teste, 'Teste' being the Old French for 'head'; equally, 'héafod' is the Old English for 'head'.
    The book was described in the blurb and advertisements as ' A research ballistician leaves the exact sciences to delve into philosophy and psychology and this is the remarkable diary of his thoughts.' and was admiringly reviewed in the Times Literary Supplement and elsewhere. Unfortunately Bain/Héafod- after writing some strange letters to Themerson- lost contact with the Gaberbocchus Press. His last letter was in September 1961- before the book was published- and furher attempts to get in touch with him failed.
    I hope this is useful to you and- as I said- I'd be grateful for any information you have about this interesting and mysterious man.

Comment

Re : Osias Bain

He seems to be dead in Regina in 1997... It can be the same guy.
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com.../UHP-0091.html

Alain Authier

Comment

From Stephen Wright/David Cohen's sites

Played in only 1 Canadian Closed: 1947 in Quebec City. Scored 7.5/13 - probably National Master strength.

Comment

I found the same family tree that Alain did - died in 1997. The name sounds unique, so that a Google search should turn up only him.

He wrote several papers in the chemistry field - at least one in 1951 when he was a student at Laval University in Quebec City, and another in 1954.

His book is available at: http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/rwilli/kb515_020.shtml or http://www.lornebair.com/author.php?...+Osias+Bain%29

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            He wrote several papers in the chemistry field - and another in 1954.
            This paper names his "recent" address as CARDE, Valcartier. Canadian Armament Research and Development Establishment (CARDE)
            The paper is titled "HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND ITS ANALOGUES". H2O2 (peroxide)is used in many applications including rockets.
            IMHO, that might be the reason his name is not found later in a scientific literature.

The paper @ http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v55-063

Comment

In 1948-49, Osias Bain was a co-author of the Chess Federation of Canada's submission to the Massey Commission (also known as the Massey-Levesque Commission) on culture in Canada, here. The co-signer was Leopold Christin. For what it is, it is a brilliant document, especially for a teenager.

I don't think that Osias was related to Andre Bain, Vancouver chessplayer (coincidentally probably born around 1949) of the late 1960s, early 1970s. I think that Andre was related to "Bain's Chocolates", a company to which I can't find a google reference, so perhaps this is way too much imagination. Ken Morton would know.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jonathan Berry;36539]I think that Andre was related to "Bain's Chocolates", a company to which I can't find a google reference.../QUOTE]
                There is a Bain's chocolates here:
                http://www.profilecanada.com/company...s_Vancouver_BC

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Allen View Post
                  If you have learned anything more about Osias Bain, I'd be pleased to know. I am working in the archives of the Gaberbocchus Press and am writing brief biographies of the press's authors for research puposes and can give you a little information about Bain, but would like to know more. . .
                  I'd be grateful for any information you have about this interesting and mysterious man.
                  Ancestry.com has birth July 15, 1928 to Rubin Bain and Becky Smith (Jewish).

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/homepage.html
                  1947 Canadian Championship
                  5th

He travelled to the US to play in 3 Open tournaments ( a new format), playing some of the best players in the US.

Sept 1947 New York State Championship in Endicott.

Chess Review Aug 1948 has crosstable of US Open
                  Bain 6.5-4.5, 23rd of 74

Chess Review also published his Brilliancy Prize win over Rauch on his way to winning the 1948 Quebec Provincial Championship.

http://nsca.nechess.com/history/usopen49.htm
                  1949 US Open
                  Bain 5-7, 46th of 70

I have 17 of his games in a database, last one 1951.

I like this one where he looked deeper in the tactical line:

[Event "US op"]
                  [Site "Baltimore"]
                  [Date "1948.07.??"]
                  [Round "9"]
                  [White "Simpson, R."]
                  [Black "Bain, Osias"]
                  [Result "0-1"]
                  [ECO "D85"]
                  [PlyCount "40"]
                  [EventDate "1948.07.05"]
                  [EventCountry "USA"]

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 d5 3. cxd5 Nxd5 4. d4 g6 5. e4 Nb6 6. Nc3 Bg7 7. Be3 c6 8. Be2
                  Be6 9. b3 O-O 10. O-O N8d7 11. Ng5 Re8 12. Nxe6 fxe6 13. a4 Nf8 14. a5 c5 15.
                  axb6 cxd4 16. Bb5 dxe3 17. Bxe8 Bxc3 18. Qxd8 Rxd8 19. bxa7 Bxa1 20. Rxa1 e2
                  0-1

[Event "Quebec Ch"]
                  [Site "?"]
                  [Date "1948.??.??"]
                  [Round "?"]
                  [White "Bain, Osias"]
                  [Black "Rauch, Joseph"]
                  [Result "1-0"]
                  [ECO "E51"]
                  [PlyCount "61"]
                  [EventDate "1948.??.??"]
                  [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 O-O 5. Bd3 d5 6. Nf3 Ne4 7. Qc2 f5 8. a3
                  Bxc3+ 9. bxc3 Nd7 10. O-O g5 11. Nd2 b6 12. f3 Nxd2 13. Bxd2 c6 14. e4 dxe4 15.
                  fxe4 f4 16. e5 Qe7 17. Rf3 Rf7 18. h4 h6 19. Bg6 Rg7 20. Raf1 Bb7 21. R1f2 c5
                  22. Be4 Nf8 23. hxg5 hxg5 24. d5 exd5 25. cxd5 Qxe5 26. c4 Re7 27. Re2 Qd4+ 28.
                  Rff2 Rae8 29. Bc3 Qxc4 30. Bh7+ Rxh7 31. Rxe8 1-0

Comment

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still reading this post but I thought I would give this a try. My name is Marvin Sharp. My mother's maiden name was Rachel Bain, sister to Osias Bain, which makes "Ozzy" my uncle. We were very close. I named my son, Ozias, after him. Would be happy to talk you about him as he was a very interesting man.

M

Originally posted by Yakov Zusmanovich View Post
                    I am looking for information about Osias Bain.
                    Canadian Chess Chat had the following information about him in its March (3) issue for 1951:
                    "Osias Bain, 22, is planning to sharpen the ordinary chess player's conseption of organized chess in Canada.
                    This young mental giant, the product of Quebec, finished High School at the age of 14, graduated from Laval University at 20, and is doing post-grad work in physical chemistry at Laval, in the field of Infrared Spectrometry.
                    In chess: he won the Quebec City titel in 1947-8-9, the Quebec Provincial, co-starring with Jack Gersho in '48.
                    He became Secretary of the Chess Federation of Canada in 1948".

His father's name was Rubin.
                    I'd like to know if he is alive (he is 80-81 years old now). If yes, I'd like to get any contact information.

Comment

Hi Roger,

I'm not sure if this will get to you but it's worth the try. My name is Marvin Sharp. Dr. Osias Bain was my uncle. One of his sisters, Rachel Bain (maiden) was my mother. I was quite close with "Ozzy" naming my son, Ozias, after him. I would be more than happy to discuss more with you.
                      M

Originally posted by Roger Allen View Post
                      If you have learned anything more about Osias Bain, I'd be pleased to know. I am working in the archives of the Gaberbocchus Press and am writing brief biographies of the press's authors for research puposes and can give you a little information about Bain, but would like to know more.
                      On 13 October 1960 he advertised in the personal column of The Times : 'Imperturbable publisher of distinction sought for primitively written, controversial, most tendentious 45,000-word typed manuscript by Canadian D.Sc.' The author Stefan Themerson, who ran the Gaberbocchus Press replied and after some revision Gimani- from Gide, Marx, Nietzsche- was published under the pseudonym Edmund Héafod- itself a joking reference: The French poet Paul Valéry invented the alter ego Edmond Teste, 'Teste' being the Old French for 'head'; equally, 'héafod' is the Old English for 'head'.
                      The book was described in the blurb and advertisements as ' A research ballistician leaves the exact sciences to delve into philosophy and psychology and this is the remarkable diary of his thoughts.' and was admiringly reviewed in the Times Literary Supplement and elsewhere. Unfortunately Bain/Héafod- after writing some strange letters to Themerson- lost contact with the Gaberbocchus Press. His last letter was in September 1961- before the book was published- and furher attempts to get in touch with him failed.
                      I hope this is useful to you and- as I said- I'd be grateful for any information you have about this interesting and mysterious man.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Sharp View Post
                        Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still reading this post but I thought I would give this a try. My name is Marvin Sharp. My mother's maiden name was Rachel Bain, sister to Osias Bain, which makes "Ozzy" my uncle. We were very close. I named my son, Ozias, after him. Would be happy to talk you about him as he was a very interesting man.

M
                        Marvin, using this forum software I sent an email to the original poster (Yakov Zusmanovich) to have him check this thread for your response... Note that I do not have his actual email address, I just sent an email through the forum to whatever email address he declared he had at the time he registered (no guarantee the email will make it through). Perhaps he will notice your reply or someone who knows Yakov Zusmanovich might alert him to your reply... Good luck.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thank you.
                          M

Comment

Working...
                          X