Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate for CFC President

To the Governors and membership of the CFC:

I am pleased to announce that I will be a candidate for CFC President at this years AGM in Toronto.

I will forego the typical election platform manifesto, in favour of a dynamic online Q&A format. A thread entitled "CFC Executive Candidates Start to Come Forward - Gillanders" was started by Bob Armstrong several weeks ago on the CFC discussion board. There has already been a significant exchange of ideas between myself and others, over 80 posts to date. I invite everyone to read the posts and contribute with your own questions and comments. I will answer all serious and thoughtful questions.

I am delighted that the following individuals are willing to serve on the executive:

President - Robert Gillanders
    Vice President - Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    Secretary - Lyle Craver
    Treasurer - Fred McKim
    Youth Coordinator - Michael Barron
    Past President - Eric van Dusen
    FIDE Representative & Zone President - Hal Bond, I.A. / I.O.

This team is rich in experience, dedication, and heart. They have my full support and appreciation.

Respectfully,
    Robert Gillanders

Re: Candidate for CFC President

Good luck Bob, and all the best :)

Comment

Good luck, Bob.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Interesting that 4/7 of the slate are members of the current executive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          Ken, is that interesting "good" or interesting "bad"?

I know better communications is a theme that you stress often. I agree. An extensive policy debate has already begun on the CFC discussion board. I hope you will add your voice soon.

We're listening! :D
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 10th June, 2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I am pleased to announce that I will be a candidate for CFC President at this years AGM in Toronto.

I will forego the typical election platform manifesto, in favour of a dynamic online Q&A format. A thread entitled "CFC Executive Candidates Start to Come Forward - Gillanders" was started by Bob Armstrong several weeks ago on the CFC discussion board. There has already been a significant exchange of ideas between myself and others, over 80 posts to date. I invite everyone to read the posts and contribute with your own questions and comments. I will answer all serious and thoughtful questions.

I am delighted that the following individuals are willing to serve on the executive:

President - Robert Gillanders
            Vice President - Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
            Secretary - Lyle Craver
            Treasurer - Fred McKim
            Youth Coordinator - Michael Barron
            Past President - Eric van Dusen
            FIDE Representative & Zone President - Hal Bond, I.A. / I.O.

This team is rich in experience, dedication, and heart. They have my full support and appreciation.

Respectfully,
            Robert Gillanders
            Excellent news Bob. I wish you much success.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Discretionary Budget

Hi Bob

Do you have a preliminary discretionary budget of uncommited funds that readers may have some input in 'helping' you spend?

I fear you will showered with
              (1)ideas and have no funds available to implement them.
              (2)ideas of what you(and the CFC) should be doing but no-one will actually help you implement them.

Michael Yip

Comment

Unless those 4 are going to be more communicative with the governors and members, then it is interesting bad, Bob.

Comment

Re: Discretionary Budget

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
                  Hi Bob

Do you have a preliminary discretionary budget of uncommited funds that readers may have some input in 'helping' you spend?

I fear you will showered with
                  (1)ideas and have no funds available to implement them.
                  (2)ideas of what you(and the CFC) should be doing but no-one will actually help you implement them.

Michael Yip
                  We have the unusual situation where the governors voted on a budget back in March, but we still don't know if it was approved or not! :o We will need to get that resolved before any discussion of spending uncommitted funds, if there is any.

As for your fears, what?...no?....that ain't gonna happen, is it? they told me that wouldn't happen!!

Comment

Hi Ken:

Hal and Michael have posted somewhat on the discussion boards - not bad for executives. Lyle and Eric ( in the second half of the term ) not so much. Obviously we hope they do better in the new term.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I will forego the typical election platform manifesto, in favour of a dynamic online Q&A format.
                      I notice the year over year membership numbers are down in the latest disclosure (you'll find it on the CFC web site). What will you do to increase the membership? We're really talking about promoting chess and bringing the membership over the 2,000 mark as a start.

How do you intend to make the organization more appealing to the entire nation rather than mainly the "golden horseshoe"?

Looking at your purposed "team", why should anyone think there will be changes?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Saying 4/7 is a bit unfair as he can hardly control who the past president is. It's really 3/6.

Comment

"Interesting" is an interesting choice of word. :)

Comment

I am under the impression that most of the Executive is usually re-elected... and often acclaimed. It seems there is a seldom a real "race" for any of the positions. The reality is that there is a small pool of people willing to take on any of those jobs - clearly, President is a bit of a hot seat, as is the Youth Coordinator.

Now it seems the FIDE Representative position is coming under the microscope - considering the CFC doesn't even reimburse expenses*, I think the membership should be quite happy someone with Hal's experience (and integrity I might add) is willing to take on that particular thankless task - at his own expense.

*= as far as I know
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Now it seems the FIDE Representative position is coming under the microscope - considering the CFC doesn't even reimburse expenses*, I think the membership should be quite happy someone with Hal's experience (and integrity I might add) is willing to take on that particular thankless task - at his own expense.
                              *= as far as I know
                              Are you saying that the CFC FIDE rep travels at his own expenses ? I did not know that Hal was that well off. I knew I had still much to learn... ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X