did I miss the thread on the new CFC site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did I miss the thread on the new CFC site?

Have I been out of the loop so long allready?? I can't check my rating at the new CFC site, what happened to all the links and ratings??

First they stop publishing ratings in the magazine. Then they cancel the magazine claiming a new age where ratings are on the net. Now they cancel that. Next they'll up the annual membership and rating fees.

I keep forgeting what I'm paying for, and most of my friends gave up on the CFC years ago and just play online. I think the CFC has less than 1000 members across the country. I wonder why.

I hope I'm just missing something because if this is the new reality I will not renew my membership next month, I will not join the local club, and I will not make further donations to CFC causes. Get it together CFC webmaster and executive.

Re: did I miss the thread on the new CFC site?

Originally posted by Daryl Bertrand View Post
    Have I been out of the loop so long allready?? I can't check my rating at the new CFC site, what happened to all the links and ratings??

First they stop publishing ratings in the magazine. Then they cancel the magazine claiming a new age where ratings are on the net. Now they cancel that. Next they'll up the annual membership and rating fees.

I keep forgeting what I'm paying for, and most of my friends gave up on the CFC years ago and just play online. I think the CFC has less than 1000 members across the country. I wonder why.

I hope I'm just missing something because if this is the new reality I will not renew my membership next month, I will not join the local club, and I will not make further donations to CFC causes. Get it together CFC webmaster and executive.
    I don't believe anything is missing - just not in the same place as before. David Cohen has been tidying up the website as far as I understand things (I don't) If you click on "products and services" and drill around you should find the ratings as always... I haven't done that specifically, but I did do something similar to confirm that the handbook is still in there too.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Have I been out of the loop so long allready?? I can't check my rating at the new CFC site
      In some cases Google solves a problem (search for Daryl Bertrand):
      http://www.chess.ca/memberinfo.asp?CFCN=107595
      or
      http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=107595

(sometimes databases give different tournaments, especially on Wednesdays :D )

I think the CFC has less than 1000 members across the country.
      50%/50%

http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml
      Total 1883
      Adult 975

get it together CFC webmaster and executive.
      I think there is no webmaster at all. (and I'll keep my thoughts about the "new" website to myself

Comment

In the new presentation of the CFC website, after one clicks on 'Products and Services' (and guessing that 'services' would include ratings, etc. apparently is not trivial), one may often have to scroll down far before finding what one wants (e.g. ratings). For things that deserve prominence on the website (e.g. ratings), I'm afraid the opposite is now the case, even for things that used to be prominently displayed.

One thing that would be useful is a prominent description of the CFC/(Canadian chess scene) for newbies/visitors. A guide to abreviation symbols for the 'tournaments' link would be helpful, for example (i.e. say 'BEN' stands for 'based on entries', etc.).

Hopefully the re-working of the presentation of CFC website is an ongoing project, sensitive to visitor's suggestions and criticisms/praise.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 16th June, 2010, 02:16 PM.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Threats, threats. :)

My Inner Galactic Chess Federation is a good deal, if your join. You don't pay anything and you don't get anything. I don't want, nor will I accept, any donations.

There are currently no members so I don't get complaints.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Did I miss the thread on the new CFC site?

Of course, before simply asking, attack, attack the CFC on every point you can recall from the past.

A simple question would have evoked the same responses. Was it necessary to attack before you knew what was going on? Now, the CFC is BAD, BAD because they are actually cleaning up their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              50%/50%

http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml
              Total 1883
              Adult 975
              30 years ago I had the correspondence association up to close to 700 adult members. That was postal chess. The population of Canada was much less at the time.

35 years ago I was selling 100 or more CFC memberships by making a CFC membership mandatory for our club members. Most were adult memberships.

Probably you have to either strip the 370 life members out of the total membership or add them to the adult membership. You seem to be ignoring those stats and that's not what they call science. :)

The CFC's adult membership of only 975 looks disappointing, although, the executives might consider it very acceptable.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Probably you have to either strip the 370 life members out of the total membership or add them to the adult membership. You seem to be ignoring those stats and that's not what they call science.
                It would spoil stats ;)

Maybe one day I'll name all those Life members to see how many of them still are active, and you'll do the math how bad it is for the CFC :D

Comment

Ratings/Crosstables account for 95% of CFC website traffic, or at least they did in 1995 when I ran the stats on it. So they probably could use their own main category.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Stay the course

1) The new look web site (as of this past weekend) probably needs some tinkering on the main page to get some links to the more popular services. Everything is still there.

2) Sometimes there is little you can do to increase membership in other areas. I have, since 1977, and am continuing to run a weekly chess club, volunteer for my provincial association, run at least a half dozen CFC events a year, and act as a CFC Governor and occasional Executive member, and now trying to donate a 2000 level player game to Canada's new Chess Magazine every so often. Too bad right now I live in a province of 100,000 and not in Toronto :-)

Comment

Get it together CFC webmaster
                      Daryl,

I did: it's all on one web page. You can make one extra click, to 'Products and Services' - where you'll see everything the CFC does for you, or you can bookmark the Ratings page which is linked there (http://www.chess.ca/ratings.shtml).

Regards,

David
                      VOLUNTEER

Comment

Working...
                      X