FIDE Ratngs at the Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Ratngs at the Canadian Open

I have a question that perhaps someone on this forum can answer and please forgive my ignorance as I have not played tounament chess in years. I understand that FIDE will now be rating players as low as the 1200 level. Does this mean that everyone who plays in the Can. Open gets a FIDE rating or would a person like myself (rating 1700+) have to play a FIDE rated player or a certain # of FIDE rated players to obtain a FIDE rating?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Regards,
    Larry Castle

Re: FIDE Ratngs at the Canadian Open

6.4 In a Swiss or team event:

For an unrated player’s performance to count he must play at least three games against rated opponents; score at least 1 point; and the rating based on the tournament result at its conclusion be above the rating floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
      I have a question that perhaps someone on this forum can answer and please forgive my ignorance as I have not played tounament chess in years. I understand that FIDE will now be rating players as low as the 1200 level. Does this mean that everyone who plays in the Can. Open gets a FIDE rating or would a person like myself (rating 1700+) have to play a FIDE rated player or a certain # of FIDE rated players to obtain a FIDE rating?
      Thanks in advance for any replies.
      Regards,
      Larry Castle

I'd want to be careful and have more information. The pairings are supposed to be accelerated. Looking at the entrants so far, it seems players with ratings around 1900 or more will be playing in what amounts to the bottom section. How high a performance rating can you get if you're playing 1100 and 1200 rated players in the first few rounds? Will a new FIDE rating correctly reflect your playing strength?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

By FIDE rules, games against unrated players do not count towards your rating. However if you have a FIDE rating, the game could still count towards THEIR rating even while it doesn't count for you.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Thank You all for your timely and gracious replies.
          Regards
          L. Castle:)

Comment

Working...
          X