Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Side Events at 2010 Canadian Open

SIDE EVENTS

SATURDAY JULY 10: Players can begin to register for the side events at the registration desk

SUNDAY JULY 11: 11:00am Simultaneous by GM Mark Bluvshtein (all proceeds to support the Canadian Olympiad team)

MONDAY JULY 12: 9:00am Chess & Activity Day Camp 10:00am CFC Annual Meeting 11:00am Chess960 Simultaneous by GM Alexander Shabalov 4:00pm Lecture: Middlegame strategy: Playing with pawns and pieces

TUESDAY JULY 13: 9:00am Chess & Activity Day Camp 10:00am CFC Annual Meeting 11:00am Simultaneous by GM Vladimir Malaniuk 3:00pm Doublechess (Bughouse) Tournament

WEDNESDAY JULY14: 9:00am Chess & Activity Day Camp 10:00am FIDE Arbiter Training Course 11:00am Simultaneous by GM Josh Friedel

THURSDAY JULY 15: 9:00am Chess & Activity Day Camp 10:00am FIDE Arbiter Training Course 11:00am Simultaneous by GM Merab Gagunashvili

FRIDAY JULY 16: 9:00am Chess & Activity Day Camp 10:00am FIDE Arbiter Training Course 11:30am 5-board Blindfold Simultaneous: FM Hans Jung 5:45pm Trivia Contest

SATURDAY JULY 17: 11:30am Lecture by GM Merab Gagunashvili: Rook endings 8:00pm 2010 Canadian Open Speed Chess Championship $1,000 Prize Fund (based on 50 entries)

SUNDAY JULY 18: 5:30pm Closing Awards Presentation and Dinner

NOTE: Registrations close on Tuesday, July 6 ( no onsite entries ) - so enter now !!

Websites: http://www.chess.ca/misc2009/2010CANOP.pdf & http://www.monroi.com

Bob ( for Brian Fiedler )
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 25th June, 2010, 01:18 AM.

Re: Exciting Side Events at 2010 Canadian Open

Who calls bughouse doublechess...

Comment

Re : Exciting Side Events at 2010 Canadian Open

Sounds nice. I would like to participate in a Canadian Open one year...

And for the bughouse tournament, in french it's called ''double-blitz''. But there's not a single bughouse tournament in the whole province, except the friendly tournaments at the Lachine Canal and at the Café Pi.

Comment

Re: Re : Exciting Side Events at 2010 Canadian Open

The old Toronto Chess Club (may it R.I.P.) before its final demise in the late 1980s had become a double chess stronghold, with lots of players and even slow chess masters participating. Bill Hyde had even set up a double chess rating system!

Double chess with clocks died out when a player on one team would "sit", i.e. do nothing, when his side had achieved a time advantage and the other team was in zugzwang. In those situations any move by it would allow an immediate mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
          Double chess with clocks died out when a player on one team would "sit", i.e. do nothing, when his side had achieved a time advantage and the other team was in zugzwang. In those situations any move by it would allow an immediate mate.
          Died out for this reason?

Comment

"Double chess" died out in Montreal after an initial flurry of activity after its introduction in the 1970's. I rarely see adults playing it; I never see anyone playing it at the Cafe Pi; I tend to see it only in kids' tournaments, or any event where younger players are present.

Comment

I've seen a couple of T.O. instructors teach it
              as "doubles chess"! Mixed doubles anyone?:-)

I presume Hans is taking on the sighted at the
              BF simul. Would've loved to join BF a la Amber,
              but I think Ted's got me down in the "activities!"

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Exciting Side Events at 2010 Canadian Open

I don't really agree, because that's exactly what people like from double chess. You absolutely need to play faster than your opponents, otherwise you'll get into this situation.

As Hugh said it's still very popular in every tournaments where younger players are present. But when adults see us playing between two rounds in a tournament, it is really frequent that they join the game.

Comment

Bob,
                  Could you provide more details about the speed chess competition? What is defined as "speed chess"? When does it starts? How many rounds? Fees? etc.
                  Thank you!

Comment

The Blitx chess tournament (speed chess) will be a 7 double round swiss (you play each opponent twice - once White and once Black) with each player having 5 minutes on the clock to finish the game. I believe the entry fee will be $20 for anyone in the CO and $25 for others. The play will start at 8 pm on July 17 and should be done within 3 hours.

Comment

I see that's why Round 8 is at 2 PM
                      Last edited by Ed Zator; Saturday, 26th June, 2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
                        I see that's why Round 8 is at 2 PM
                        No, round 8 is at 2 pm so that round 9 can be even earlier - at 10 am so that those that wish to finish the tournament by the afternoon will have time to travel that evening to get home in good time to resume their work week as usual Monday morning. This is usual for such events.

Comment

The old Toronto Chess Club (may it R.I.P.) before its final demise in the late 1980s had become a double chess stronghold, with lots of players and even slow chess masters participating. Bill Hyde had even set up a double chess rating system!

What? Everyone does this.

Comment

Hi Bob;

When do we have to sign up for some of those side events ? There are at least 3-4 that I may be able to attend.

Comment

Hi John:

As I understand it, I think they start taking registrations Sat. aft..

If I'm wrong on that, maybe Michael or Erik can correct me.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X