2010 Canadian Open...don't miss it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Canadian Open...don't miss it!

Well I just spent the afternoon at the site of the upcoming Canadian Open and it is totally awesome! The Westin Harbour Castle is incredible. Brian Fiedler and his team have put together an event you won't want to miss....BTW...the special chess rate for this hotel of $100 a night is way below market value...so even if you only want to spend a few nights in downtown Toronto...bring the family etc and look in on the event...you can't lose.

Registrations close on July 6...if you are not registered by July 6 YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PLAY....so make your move now :). You can register at Strategy Games in Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa. Tomorrow we are closed in Toronto and Ottawa and we are open in Montreal from 11 am - 5 pm....we return to our regular hours on Friday July 2 in all 3 cities.

Details are available at:

http://chess.ca/misc2009/2010CANOP.pdf

Larry

Re: 2010 Canadian Open...don't miss it!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Well I just spent the afternoon at the site of the upcoming Canadian Open and it is totally awesome! The Westin Harbour Castle is incredible. Brian Fiedler and his team have put together an event you won't want to miss....BTW...the special chess rate for this hotel of $100 a night is way below market value...so even if you only want to spend a few nights in downtown Toronto...bring the family etc and look in on the event...you can't lose.
    Larry
    The location is a great place for visitors. On one side is the busy city and entertainment, while it's right next to a cooling ferryride to the peaceful islands. I posted some photos:

http://monroi.com/2010-cocc-venue.html

Comment

The pre-registrations, according to the MonRoi site, are 176 as of last Saturday, June 26. There is now less than a week to get your registration in - registration closes Tuesday, July 6 ( no entries after that date; no on-site entries ).

It's shaping up to be a great tournament, with lots of great side events. There are 9 foreign GM's vying for the $ 6,500 first prize.

There are lots of class prizes. I'm in the U 2000 class and the prizes are:

1st - $ 1,000
      2nd - $ 500
      3rd - $ 250

Something to play for !

Let's shoot for over 200 entries in this last week!

Bob

Comment

Unfortunately, I will miss it... A tragic turn of events. -_-;

Comment

Unfortunately I think I will miss it as well :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            The pre-registrations, according to the MonRoi site, are 176 as of last Saturday, June 26. There is now less than a week to get your registration in - registration closes Tuesday, July 6 ( no entries after that date; no on-site entries ).

It's shaping up to be a great tournament, with lots of great side events. There are 9 foreign GM's vying for the $ 6,500 first prize.

There are lots of class prizes. I'm in the U 2000 class and the prizes are:

1st - $ 1,000
            2nd - $ 500
            3rd - $ 250

Something to play for !

Let's shoot for over 200 entries in this last week!

Bob
            I just spoke today with one of the organizing committee, Brian Fiedler, and he advised that a short time ago, they went above 200 registrations!

Only 2 days left to register ( deadline is Tuesday, July 6 - no on-site entries )!

Let's break 250 registrants now !

Bob

Comment

There are 1200 of us here at the World Open. I'm looking forward to downsizing to the Canadian Open. Imagine 1200 chess players jamming the elevators 10 minutes before round start and the same 1200 crowding around the pairings, almost trampling the poor director in their eagerness to see the pairings! Then a 5 minute walk across a sea of humanity trying to find lowly board 225.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
              X