Canada chess token?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada chess token?

Does anybody know the history of this item?

It strikes me that the token likely wasn't good for a year's subscription to Chess Canada. I think the portion of text in the bottom-right of the coin says "MONTREAL CANADA," if that's any clue.

Re: Canada chess token?

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post

It strikes me that the token likely wasn't good for a year's subscription to Chess Canada. I think the portion of text in the bottom-right of the coin says "MONTREAL CANADA," if that's any clue.
    In addition to Montreal Canada, I can make out the words "CLUB D'ECHECS" (chess club). Someone with sharper eyes or the right software should be able to make out which club it's from.

It looks like an interesting piece of Canadian chess history.

Comment

Results from a google search:

Breton 587. ICCS graded. Issued by Le Club du Jeu de Dames, this checker club was amalgamated with the chess club in 1891 with an annual subscription of $3.00. This jeton or admission ticket was struck in copper by Dr. Joseph Leroux. Mintage only 100. red

Comment

Hi Michael,

Congratulation on very nice find. I think CFC should buy this item, since this is part of Canadian Chess History. Maybe once new CFC elected president
        later this summer. This item should belong to CFC in my opinion.

Mikhail Egorov

Comment

In any event, it appears to have been sold.

Comment

Any Club Info Available?

The token reads: "CLUB D'ECHECS ET DE DAMES CANADIEN FRANCAIS DE MONTREAL CANADA."

So far I haven't found any info on it. Would anyone have any to offer?

Comment

A Little Info

This is from an 1894 work by P.N. Breton entitled "An Illustrated History of Coins and Token Relating to Canada" The "R. 2 1/2" is Breton's rating system for rarity. It is low, with a face value of $1.50 to $3.00. Not surprising as it did indeed cost $3. Remember that's the 1894 estimate.

I still don't understand exactly how it would have been used. For example, how would one know when the year had run out?

Comment

Neil wrote:

I still don't understand exactly how it would have been used. For example, how would one know when the year had run out?
                Possibly they were numbered (but it would mean a modification to the die each pressing)? What is that "587" number?

Possibly they were good for one calendar year (or one session/term/year of the chess club's meetings), and new ones would be "minted" for the next calendar year. If you didn't have the current year's token, you weren't recognized as a member.

Can anyone decipher the chess position on the token?

The Montreal Chess Club existed at that time - I don't think it's related to the one on the token.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Neil wrote:

Possibly they were numbered (but it would mean a modification to the die each pressing)? What is that "587" number?

Possibly they were good for one calendar year (or one session/term/year of the chess club's meetings), and new ones would be "minted" for the next calendar year. If you didn't have the current year's token, you weren't recognized as a member.

Can anyone decipher the chess position on the token?

The Montreal Chess Club existed at that time - I don't think it's related to the one on the token.
                  The 587 is Breton's identification number as seen in the book extract. The system is still in use today. If you say Breton 587, you are referring to this particular token. They are not individually numbered or identified with a date.

The design is an 8 x 8 checkerboard with a large Rook superimposed. Flanking the Rook are a pair of Knights. Some checker pieces can also be seen on the board. The work is well done and the details are quite good. This picture shows the details a little more clearly:

Last edited by Neil Sullivan; Tuesday, 6th July, 2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Maybe you put the token by the side of your board when you were playing, and then put it back in your watch pocket (or whatever) when finished. That would confirm membership at a glance, but also allow transferability. My second guess wasn't worth typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Maybe you put the token by the side of your board when you were playing, and then put it back in your watch pocket (or whatever) when finished. That would confirm membership at a glance, but also allow transferability. My second guess wasn't worth typing.
                      If it didn't say "Good for one year" on the reverse, I would guess that it was specially produced to honour the merger of the chess and checkers clubs.

Your idea isn't bad, but there's nothing that says when the membership was paid or how long it extends. I can find no mention of other versions being minted - perhaps for diferent years.

Also, since they only made 100, you'd kind of think they wouldn't have that much trouble keeping track of their members. Who knows? It's puzzling to me.

Right now I'm trying to see if I can track down any further info on the club. I'd also like to know how many of the original 100 survive and if any other chess clubs have done anything similar.

In any event, it's a nice little bit of history to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
                        Right now I'm trying to see if I can track down any further info on the club. I'd also like to know how many of the original 100 survive and if any other chess clubs have done anything similar.

In any event, it's a nice little bit of history to have.
                        Are we to infer that you purchased the token?? I wondered where you got a good picture of it...
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Canada chess token?

Apparently yes he bought it :
                          http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3418

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Are we to infer that you purchased the token?? I wondered where you got a good picture of it...
                            The picture came from the web Kerry, but yes, I did purchase it.

It was a bit of an impulse buy, but, as I had never seen anything like it before, it appealed to me.

I'm sure it's not of any great value, but as I say, it's a nice little piece of Canadian chess history. I didn't want any non-players grabbing it speculatively.

Besides, I have 3 days to return it for a full refund and the company that sold it is here in Montreal.

Comment

Re: Any Club Info Available?

From the chess column of the Montreal Gazette, 8th April 1891:

"The French Canadian Chess and Checker Clubs have amalgamated and elected the following officers for the ensuing year: President, M. O'Donoghue, principal of Belmont School; 1st Vice-President, O. Trempe; 2nd Vice-President, F.X. Craig; Sec. Trea., Dr. J. Leroux; Cor. Sec., E. St. Maurice. Directors: Messrs. Geoffrion, Riendean, Harel, Berthelot and Painchaud. Until further notice the rooms of the club are located at 290 Richmond Street."

Trempe was another well-known chess columnist, so searching French language newspapers around that time might turn up further information (we don't have many such sources at UBC).

Comment

Working...
                              X