• Show
Clear All

Re: Any Club Info Available?

See also http://www.fqjr.qc.ca/dames/144/publ...lustre_200.PDF

Comment

Re: Any Club Info Available?

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      From the chess column of the Montreal Gazette, 8th April 1891:

"The French Canadian Chess and Checker Clubs have amalgamated and elected the following officers for the ensuing year: President, M. O'Donoghue, principal of Belmont School; 1st Vice-President, O. Trempe; 2nd Vice-President, F.X. Craig; Sec. Trea., Dr. J. Leroux; Cor. Sec., E. St. Maurice. Directors: Messrs. Geoffrion, Riendean, Harel, Berthelot and Painchaud. Until further notice the rooms of the club are located at 290 Richmond Street."

Trempe was another well-known chess columnist, so searching French language newspapers around that time might turn up further information (we don't have many such sources at UBC).
      Thank you Stephen. A poster on the French board also directed me to the site of the Quebec Checkers federation. I found similar info there:

"8 mars (1891)- Assemblée fondant nouveau club. L'organisation se donna le titre de "Club d'échecs et de dames Canadien-Français".
      Président: O'Donaghue (principal de l'école O'Donaghue)
      Vice-président: O. Trempe (dir. du Monde Illustré) chargé d'établir une chronique damiste
      2e Vice-prés.: F.X. Craig
      Trésorier: Dr. J. Leroux
      Secrétaire: E. St-Maurice père

avril - Le nouveau club déménage et s'installe sur la rue Richmond près Notre-Dame (note: en 1936 seuls O. Trempe et E. St-Maurice subsistaient de ce conseil. À l'époque les pions appartenaient aux membres qui les transportaient avec eux, aller-retour, à chacune de leur visite). "

There's a real wealth of historical data there.

The Dr. Leroux who was elected treasurer is the man who was responsible for the commissioning of the tokens. Richmond street still exists in Montreal. It's one block west of Guy.

I was also advised to look through back issues of "Monde illustré". It had a checkers column, but the ones I have seen so far contain no news - just positions.

When I get the chance, I will hit the "Grande Bibliothèque"; downtown not far from CMA. I think a little persistence will bring results. There are times I wish I was already retired. I have the overwhelming urge to play hooky today and sit in an air-conditioned building. :)

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X