CFC Chess Forums/ChessTalk Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Chess Forums/ChessTalk Comparison

On the CFC Ches Forum, I did a comparison of " logged in " viewers for the two CFC discussion boards ( Governors' Discussion Board, and members' CFC Chess Forum ), vs. ChessTalk, for Monday, July 5. In terms of logged in viewers, ChessTalk had about 4 times more than the CFC boards.

But it appears non-logged in viewers are not captured in the " members' list " feature. In this regard, Chris Mallon, board administrator, referred me to the Alexa website: http://www.alexa.com

Governor Ken Einarsson explained to me that this is a web traffic information site. He said that the site indicates that in Canada " chesstalk in tracffic is 14,376h most popular site and chess.ca is 77,673rd most popular site. " So in reality, in overall traffic, ChessTalk is only double the CFC boards' traffic.

So it seems the popularity of the CFC Sites has been slowly growing. But ChessTalk is still the more popular site. The members' CFC Chess Foum, however, tends to be a more serious " debate the CFC constructively " board, and this is not everyone's cup of tea. But it is serving its purpose of CFC providing its own positive place to discuss the future of the CFC.

All sites are proving worthwhile to the chess community.

Bob

Re: CFC Chess Forums/ChessTalk Comparison

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Governor Ken Einarsson explained to me that this is a web traffic information site. He said that the site indicates that in Canada " chesstalk in tracffic is 14,376h most popular site and chess.ca is 77,673rd most popular site. " So in reality, in overall traffic, ChessTalk is only double the CFC boards' traffic
    Your conclusion is wrong as it based on the wrong data. The CFC board website address is chesscanada.info not chess.ca

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/chesscanada.info#
    12,811 Traffic Rank in CA
    613,708 Alexa Traffic Rank

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/chesstalk.info#
    14,376 Traffic Rank in CA
    508,507 Alexa Traffic Rank

As for the real comparison - I'm too biased - here and there I'm on the top list of posters :D (probably meaning that both boards have values in their own ways)

Comment

Hi Egis:

I'm not familiar with these terms.

1. What is the first number - 12, 811 for CFC; 14, 376 for CMA ? Does this mean that CMA is only now 12 % busier than the CFC sites?

2. What is the second number - 613,708 for CFC; 508,507 for CMA? Does this mean the CFC site is 21% busier than the CMA site? I find that hard to believe !

3. Are these figures only re Canadian viewers?

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 6th July, 2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Egis:

I'm not familiar with these terms.

What is the first number - 12, 811 for CFC; 14, 376 for CMA ? Does this mean that CMA is only now 12 % busier than the CFC sites?

What is the second number - 613,708 for CFC; 508,507 for CMA? Does this mean the CFC site is 21% busier than the CMA site? I find that hard to believe !

Are these figures only re Canadian viewers?

Bob
        http://www.alexa.com/help/traffic_learn_more
        It is a rank or a place. (top3 - google, facebook, youtube)

Comment

Hi Egis:

Thanks but I guess I still don't understand. Is it counting those who google for the CFC sites or the CMA sites? And I don't know how Facebook and Youtube work - can you do a search from those sites too? Afraid you need to spoon feed me.

And what are the answers to my three questions?

Bob

Comment

just because one might feel obligated to check both sites and thereby make up part of the traffic does not mean that the 2nd site is 'popular' or necessary.

Comment

The task I started out with on all this was trying to compare activity on the CMA site, vs the 2 CFC sites.

It seems that since non-logged in viewers are not captured in the " members' list ", activity can only be measured by counting the total number of views of the total number of threads in a defined period. Am I right on this?

Bob

Comment

The task I started out with on all this was trying to compare activity on the CMA site, vs the 2 CFC sites.

It seems that since non-logged in viewers are not captured in the " members' list ", activity can only be measured by counting the total number of views of the total number of threads in a defined period. Am I right on this?

Bob
                It seems I am right on my assertion. But there is a problem.

I can look at only threads posted in a defined period, and total the views of those threads/replies.

But people are also replying to threads started before the defined period, during the defined period. There appears to be no way to determine those number of views - because the " views " is the total since the thread started, and it may have started before the defined period. So some of those views are OUTSIDE of the defined period and cannot be counted.

So my conclusion is that these boards have no way of computing the activityy in a defined period - at least not that an ordinary viewer has access to ! Am I right? ( who designed this anyway ? Is this not an important question re " views in a defined period " to get activity? ).

Chris Mallon, on the members' CFC Chess Forum, in a similar thread, advised I am right - no way to calculate number of views in a defined period.

Helpful.........

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X