Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETHERLANDS in the World Cup Final

Go Sneijder! Go Robben!

This is the best result for the Dutch team since Zukertort!

Re: NETHERLANDS in the World Cup Final

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post

Euro'88

Comment

I was just talking to my friends in Holland-really excited,want revenge from Germany.They have a street party-40 folks with a large flat screen set up outside.....Unfortunately they beat my team-Brazil-but I will still hope they win....

Comment

That was "only" The European Championship!
        Van Basten in the finals with USSR - what a goal !!

Comment

not so sure we'll get Germany ...
          see the most authorized opinion :
          Spain-Germany

Comment

That was "only" The European Championship!
            Van Basten in the finals with USSR - what a goal !!
            Then Netherlands were in finals two times in a row ;) (1974 and 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Then Netherlands were in finals two times in a row ;) (1974 and 1978)
              Of course they were! Resenbrink's post in the 90th minute (1978) still hurts ...

But this is the first time it won't be the host country to beat ;)

Comment

not so sure we'll get Germany ...
                see the most authorized opinion :
                Spain-Germany
                Looks like Spain is in...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Spain it is. The Netherlands have to be heavy favourites but then so were the Germans.

Comment

Go Sneijder! Go Robben!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmR-4K9_ye8
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Spain are ranked 2nd by FIFA while the Dutch ar fourth. I'll be rooting for the Dutch yet I fear Spain will eke out a victory.

Comment

I almost thought I was on another planet, but the FIFA rankings were as I remembered them from TV. Spain #2, Netherlands #4, Germany #6. If Germany were favourites--and even the German coach denied it--they didn't play like favourites. One got the impression that they were playing for a 120-minute draw at nil. Followed by the technical exercise of penalty shots, ja.

You'll have to go to page 2 of the above list to find Canada, at #63 the meat in a Yugo sandwich between Macedonia and Montenegro.

It was a close game, and anything might have happened, except that Puyol rhymes with goal. But I'm glad that Spain were the winners because they played a more entertaining style. I thought that Spain 1-0 Paraguay was a far better game because Paraguay came with their best, their A game, a kind of unpolished defensive athleticism. It wasn't enough on that day, but they didn't leave any regrets in the locker room. Oh yeah, and they have a player named LUCAS.

As for the final, MHO is that it's a tossup because Netherlands' strikers are connecting, but Spain's have been close but no puro. You have to put the puck in the net, as they say. There was an interesting article (first paragraph only online, but full text in the June 2nd edition if your local library subscribes...) in New Scientist about the possible effect of altitude. If altitude does become a factor (and if you read the article, they really do play down the possibility because the schedule is similar for both finalists), it would favour Spain. After all, Netherlands means low countries. When my dad was in Holland, he bought a watercolour from a local artist. The peaceful riparian scene belies the five difficult years they had suffered. Far off in the distance is an almost imperceptible rise, which turns out to be the highest point in the country, near Hilversum.

Between Germany and Uruguay, we have the Graf Spee, while between Netherlands and Spain a more ancient but also more intimate story. I'm looking forward to an entertaining, all-out final game.

On a more general note, I think that the new ball, if they continue to use it, will eventually result in more scoring than the old ball. Sure they've had time to use the new ball, but to get up close, to develop a scoring touch, is a slow magic.
                        Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Thursday, 8th July, 2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                          I think that the new ball, if they continue to use it,
                          I think that there is always a new ball for every championship (at least these days)
                          Jabulani - '10
                          Teamgeist - '06
                          Fevernova - '02
                          Tricolore - '98
                          etc
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas_Jabulani

Comment

Go Orange! The Dutch haven't won since Euwe! It's about time for a new champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Yes, verry funny - thank you!
                              I still believe Jogi Löw has a good chance to win.
                              .... against Uruguay, that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X