Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not trust the clocks at the Cdn Open

I just lost a game at CDn Open.
    I saw that my clock was not giving me increments every time yet my opponent was getting increments every time. So I questioned the clock and was told it was okay. So I played a couple more moves saw it was not giving me increments so resigned.
    So if anyone is paired against me and I see I'm not getting increments then chalk up a free point because I will be not playing under those conditions.

Re: I do not trust the clocks at the Cdn Open

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    I just lost a game at CDn Open.
    I saw that my clock was not giving me increments every time yet my opponent was getting increments every time. So I questioned the clock and was told it was okay. So I played a couple more moves saw it was not giving me increments so resigned.
    So if anyone is paired against me and I see I'm not getting increments then chalk up a free point because I will be not playing under those conditions.
    Why in hell would you have to resign!?? You should have stopped the bloody clock and insisted (an) or the arbiter come and observe the clock. You should raise bloody hell over this...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Why do I care I lost so that's it.

Comment

The Cdn Open borrowed 90 new Saitek IIIs from Windsor, presumably the rest are OCA clocks. If you think a clock is not working correctly, call an arbiter. It is possible the clock was not set correctly, or had malfunctioned.

Comment

Why do I care I lost so that's it.
          Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but at the first sign of suspicion about the clock - especially something as obvious as the increment not being added (meaning that is a lot easier to ascertain than some other more subtle problems) you should have been able to get someone competent to check it.

I suppose if you were busted anyway, it is a moot point but still ...

Was the clock supplied by the tournament or was it your opponent's clock (or your's?!) [of course I imagine it was not your clock!]

Sorry about this unfortunate turn-about ...

Comment

Really don't care anymore and Points against me will be sandbagged. If I decide to play I will if not you'll get a freebie.
            Oh yes I did tell Hal Bond about the clock.

Comment

Really don't care anymore and Points against me will be sandbagged. If I decide to play I will if not you'll get a freebie.
              Oh yes I did tell Hal Bond about the clock.
              If that is the case, (and I presume you mean you talked to him at the time the game was in progress? ...) that is disgraceful. I noticed Kevin Spraggett has a very unflattering joke about the pairings debacle on his blog, here:

http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/2...59173092592637

or directly to:
              http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jjgksVeNn3...s1600/main.JPG

I don't expect you to find that particularly funny at this moment...

Comment

Maybe the clock was working...These clocks are set to add you increment after your opponent presses his clock. Maybe it was unnoticed that increment was added before your move. The arbiter may have noticed this. If this was checked, I apologise for doubting you. I'm sorry for the unfortunate situation.

Alex

Comment

odd, I've never heard of being able to set the clock so one side gets an increment and the other doesn't

did anyone pull the clock so it is not used next round?

Comment

Clocks are separately adjustable for each side...

Comment

If it's not adding the increment to one side then it's not set correctly.

I'd have to dig out my Saitek III to test it out to be sure, but I think it should be obvious at the start of the game if the two sides are set identically or not.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

So I questioned the clock and was told it was okay. So I played a couple more moves saw it was not giving me increments so resigned.
                        Does the clock shows seconds? If not, you may need to make more moves faster than 30 sec to see an increment.

Comment

I think this is as simple as: Just call and arbiter and get the clock fixed. It seems sort of childish to just resign because your clock isnt working. The logic behind this argument is not sound. There is nothing being proved here...Except a loss of rating points.

D.

Comment

DraKa I was beat over the Board I was about to lose my Queen that is why I resigned . The clock issue had upset my train of thought and I had placed my pieces on wrong squares. I lost over the board. That is why I resigned.

Comment

I don't understand how you can let the mere 30 second + increment per move upset your train of thought. I think when you asked Hal Bond I was nearby and I suggested to just play till you have 20 minutes and then see if it's adding or not. You should have just waited...
                              Shameless self-promotion on display here
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X