Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I do not trust the clocks at the Cdn Open

Hi Bindi;

I think that working all day and commuting had played a bigger factor for me. I was tired that day and I think one more distraction with the clock was just too much.

I should have taken 2 Byes in the middle of the tournament and got some rest.

Comment

Re: I do not trust the clocks at the Cdn Open

All the clocks are pre-set to the same time control and checked prior to every round.

Every clock adds 30 seconds starting from move 1, and adds the time to the opponent's clock when a player makes a move.
      Every clock adds the extra 30 minutes after move 40, but ONLY when one player's time actually reaches zero.

So even if you are past move 40 and both players continue making moves without reducing their time to zero, the additional 30 minutes will not show up.

the reason the clocks behave like this is because players are not supposed to be given information about what move it is. in the FIDE rules, an arbiter shall not inform the players what move it is until one of the players' times has reached zero first (it is the player's responsibility to record moves and know what move it is from this record). the clocks are programmed to follow this rule by not informing the players either.

Several players asked questions about the clocks because the 30 second increments were getting added to their time after their OPPONENT pressed the clock. for some reason some players were playing through an entire game and never looking at their time when their opponent moved, and so came to believe that their increment did not exist when all they had to do is watch the clock after their opponent pressed the clock.

this feature of the clock was explained prior to the start of round 2 by Hal Bond due to the issues some players had in round 1.

If a player has a reason to think there is a problem with the clock, then summon an arbiter and have it resolved or explained. the arbiter can do nothing to rectify the issue however if a player decides to resign as a result of such a misunderstanding. This should be applied in any issue, really - if there is a -- legitimate -- question, stop the clock and summon the arbiter.

Comment

Working...
      X