Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    That's what bully and friends say when the victim still moves an eyebrow before passing out...
    you have really lost it Jean, go and get some fresh air and enjoy the summer weather

Comment

Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

This thread raises an interesting question: What standing does a player in a tournament have in relationship to what is taking place in a game in which he is not a participant? In other words does such a player have any standing to make a complaint to the TD?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        This thread raises an interesting question: What standing does a player in a tournament have in relationship to what is taking place in a game in which he is not a participant? In other words does such a player have any standing to make a complaint to the TD?
        In Geurt Gijssen's column (for July 21st!) in ChessCafe
        ( at: http://www.chesscafe.com/geurt/geurt.htm )
        one of the questions amounts to a complaint by a participant in a tournament about another game... Geurt's answer included:

"You mention that a player went to the arbiter about cheating in another game. A player who has finished his game is considered a spectator. The question is whether the arbiter must act on the protest of a spectator. My opinion is that he is not forced to do so, but it is advisable to investigate the matter."

I wonder if anyone will ask Geurt about the pairings in the Canadian Open?

PS: in that same column I have referenced, there is discussion about software calculation of Buchholz scores and errors that appear because software is old and not updated etc. Very apropos I think... (although in that case the software was the FIDE-approved Swiss Manager program)
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          I asked Ed what rule he had cited and the remedy he had requested. Never saw a reply.

In CC, as an arbiter, I could not do anything about an agreed upon game result. It never came up but had I seen an accomplished player resign a game where he was clearly winning the sportsmanship rules might have applied. Still, players see things on the board which is not there and sometimes hang queens or walk into mates. Even GM's can get so carried away with their attack they allow themselves to get caught up in cheapo mates.

But, I wouldn't register an ICCF game result without a scoresheet.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Very apropos I think... (although in that case the software was the FIDE-approved Swiss Manager program)
            Finally, some information! But are you sure? No mention of this tournament (or even CAN among the many clickable federations) at the closely-related chess-results.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              I wonder if anyone will ask Geurt about the pairings in the Canadian Open?
              Hmm.

What is the Correct Result?
              "...I told him that it was very difficult to change published pairings, but I could change the result and from round 2 the pairings would be made according to the correct standings."

Is it Possible to Change the Pairings?
              Something similar happened in Tournament C. Instead of 1-0, the result was written as 0-1, which the players discovered when the pairings were published. Again, I had no intention of changing the pairings, although it was very easy to do so. Yet, three of the four players who were involved very urgently requested me to change the pairings and I agreed provided that the fourth player would agree as well.... http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt84.pdf
              "But one thing is clear: the pairings must be transparent. Each arbiter who works in a Swiss tournament must be able to explain the pairings, even when they are made by a computer."
              http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt135.pdf

At least before the tournament at this board several people asked about the pairings system, and H.B. tried to explain (imho, person were satisfied with answers)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                ... Stop being such a nattering nabob of negativity. ...
                +1 for the alliteration

my new goal for the day is to work "nabob" into a conversation ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Finally, some information! But are you sure? No mention of this tournament (or even CAN among the many clickable federations) at the closely-related chess-results.com
                  I don't understand your question(s). The incident with the Bucholz scores that is referenced in Geurt's column is NOT a Canadian tournament but the point I was making is that even software recommended or endorsed by FIDE can have problems and even when there are obvious problems it isn't clear to everyone what may or may not be done about it!
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    Jean, as much as I respect your play in chess and stuff, you gotta admit, Ed was just being an asshole and a bully. Keith's a good friend of mine and the endgame he got into with the strong junior was really difficult to win. ...
                    "Whenever the gentlemen of the Kremlin are about to slander me in the press they begin with, "While we have huge respect for Mr Kasparov as a player..." Call it institutional passive-agression." -Garri Kasparov, New In Chess #1, 2009."

Bindi,
                    Even if I consider you a promising young player... :)
                    We are way past discussing what happened on the board or the tablebases. Everybody has been in agreement for a while (including Ed Zator in the first place) that no foul play was going on. The situation now does not justify (if it ever did) that you call Ed "an asshole" (even less a "bully", bullying is generally a gang thing). When are you going to apologize ?

When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite. :)
                    -Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post

my new goal for the day is to work "nabob" into a conversation ;)
                      How about "nattering" ? To me it is also a new word. I never thought that I could learn two new words from the Count in the same sentence. Thanks Count!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        The situation now does not justify (if it ever did) that you call Ed "an asshole" (even less a "bully", bullying is generally a gang thing).
                        Jean, I am just going to quote a fellow Quebecer of yours here:

"[Bindi,] I've been called a lot worse things, by a lot better people."

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post

can't say i'm surprised, "zator"...
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post

yes family can be very vocal when disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              Stop being such a nattering nabob of negativity.
                              "Nattering nabobs of negativism" is one of the most popular turns of phrase associated with U.S. Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, who served under Richard Nixon until resigning in October 1974, after pleading no contest to charges of tax fraud. Agnew, who had a particularly acrimonious relationship with the press, used this term to refer to the members of the media, whom he also deemed "an effete corps of impudent snobs." -- Answers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                                And with everyone ganging up on him, it's more to show that he doesn't have any right in talking crap when he would have probably lost the endgame with the rook and pawn against queen if he was playing Keith in that position. Last time I checked I didn't know 1800s gave masters complex endgame lessons.
                                Bindi, I think you just missed the signposts, as the criticism turned to jocular ribbing when it became clear that I was just mistaken.

I didn't give Keith any endgame lessons. He didn't ask for any, and I normally charge for them anyway (point a game). There are many lower rated players that have given me endgame lessons over the years, believe me.

So if there is any ganging up still going on, any bully here, it is you Bindi. You're a bully by rating superiority. It makes you feel you can call any lower rated player, anything under the sun that you like.

Tell you what. I'm not going to hold that against you. But I will give you that one-point an endgame lesson every time that we meet on the board.

What do you think of that?

PS. Just curious. Are you related to Louis Cheng, whom I played at this Canadian Open. He played a good game against me.

Comment

Working...
                                X