Appreciation for FIDE Arbiters' Seminar!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciation for FIDE Arbiters' Seminar!!!

The first FIDE Arbiters' Seminar training session ever organized in Canada was held in conjunction with the 2010 Canadian Open in Toronto last week. :)

Erik Malmsten of Toronto, longtime organizer and chess historian, was the key person behind this event. Erik conceived the idea, arranged for world-class instructors Stephen Boyd and Hal Bond to lead the course, generated interest, recruited students, collected tuition fees, booked the classroom, and produced the course materials. Erik also took the course as a student, one of 14 in the inaugural class. The course cost only $140 to take. This is because Stephen didn't take a fee, having had his airfare from France covered, but that was all. So, thanks to Stephen for his generosity to the students and to Canadian chess!! :)

The course consisted of about 20 hours of very intensive instruction over three days, followed by a four-hour exam on the afternoon of the third day. The concept of this seminar was a revolutionary one for Canadian chess. To my knowledge, nothing remotely close to this has ever been done in the history of Canadian chess. Erik also deserves sincere thanks, from not only the students in the course, but from the entire Canadian chess community, for his perseverence in making this happen. Several people had apparently told him beforehand that no one would sign up. That was certainly proven wrong!!! :)

I feel highly privileged to have been among the students taking this course. It was a very talented class, and the presentation format chosen by Stephen and Hal was optimal, in my view. Typically, the instructors would introduce a topic, start with some key concepts, relate an example or two, and then ask for feedback and questions from the class. The discussion was exceptionally full and lively; every one of the students contributed valuable knowledge and experience during the sessions, and everyone felt comfortable raising virtually any conceivable point. I cannot imagine how we could have received better quality instruction than what Stephen and Hal provided!!! We covered a great range of material, and I learned a lot, as did everyone in the class. The pace was brisk and intense; I hadn't ever before taken a course with this speed of required learning. :)

The exam was very challenging; there were over 30 questions, covering the full spectrum of chess decisions. I was writing at full speed from start to end, and just barely finished. And I had over 20 years of chess organization entering the course! Then we spent nearly an hour going over the answers! And now for the waiting: Hal posted on this site that the results will be available in about two weeks. :)

Let us hope that the CFC recognizes the value of this course, and arranges for similar opportunities for the future! :)

Re: Appreciation for FIDE Arbiters' Seminar!!!

Let us hope that in the future, such a course will be available in French.

Comment

Frank, I was both surprised and delighted to learn 14 people had taken the FIDE Arbitors Seminar. I'm sure many of us thought only a handful would sign up. Many thanks to Erik for seeing this project forward.

It shows a willingness and desire to improve amongst our volunteer organizers, a real positive sign for the future. I wanted to attend myself, but unfortunately other commitments kept me away. :(

Comment

franklin, when will you send me the copy of chess bitch that you've owed me for more than three years?

heyyyyy it's franklin
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
          Let us hope that in the future, such a course will be available in French.
          Would there be enough students? Registered in advance to commit to the airfair? Stephen does have a power-point display of the course in French that he presented in Paris (a couple of the slides hadn't been translated to English). Two of the 14 in Toronto did write the French exam and Stephen did spend some after-class time answering questions in French. The Quebec arbiters would enjoy his stories of chess in France; There are major differences in how things are organized.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            The Quebec arbiters would enjoy his stories of chess in France; There are major differences in how things are organized.
            Shh... don't get Pierre started about differences in France :p
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
              The first FIDE Arbiters' Seminar training session ever organized in Canada was held in conjunction with the 2010 Canadian Open in Toronto last week. :)

Erik Malmsten of Toronto, longtime organizer and chess historian, was the key person behind this event. Erik conceived the idea, arranged for world-class instructors Stephen Boyd and Hal Bond to lead the course, generated interest, recruited students, collected tuition fees, booked the classroom, and produced the course materials. Erik also took the course as a student, one of 14 in the inaugural class. The course cost only $140 to take. This is because Stephen didn't take a fee, having had his airfare from France covered, but that was all. So, thanks to Stephen for his generosity to the students and to Canadian chess!! :)

The course consisted of about 20 hours of very intensive instruction over three days, followed by a four-hour exam on the afternoon of the third day. The concept of this seminar was a revolutionary one for Canadian chess. To my knowledge, nothing remotely close to this has ever been done in the history of Canadian chess. Erik also deserves sincere thanks, from not only the students in the course, but from the entire Canadian chess community, for his perseverence in making this happen. Several people had apparently told him beforehand that no one would sign up. That was certainly proven wrong!!! :)

I feel highly privileged to have been among the students taking this course. It was a very talented class, and the presentation format chosen by Stephen and Hal was optimal, in my view. Typically, the instructors would introduce a topic, start with some key concepts, relate an example or two, and then ask for feedback and questions from the class. The discussion was exceptionally full and lively; every one of the students contributed valuable knowledge and experience during the sessions, and everyone felt comfortable raising virtually any conceivable point. I cannot imagine how we could have received better quality instruction than what Stephen and Hal provided!!! We covered a great range of material, and I learned a lot, as did everyone in the class. The pace was brisk and intense; I hadn't ever before taken a course with this speed of required learning. :)

The exam was very challenging; there were over 30 questions, covering the full spectrum of chess decisions. I was writing at full speed from start to end, and just barely finished. And I had over 20 years of chess organization entering the course! Then we spent nearly an hour going over the answers! And now for the waiting: Hal posted on this site that the results will be available in about two weeks. :)

Let us hope that the CFC recognizes the value of this course, and arranges for similar opportunities for the future! :)
              Thanks for your comments Frank, you were a very active participant which is good as it shows you were learning. I worry about the couple of quiet ones.

Stephen thought 5 days would be better and I agree. To prepare, we tried to have an email discussion group for 3 months, but half of those interested dropped out.

We paid for more that Stephen's airfare, there were his Toronto expenses such as TTC and lunch, photocopy handouts and the final day class lunch. Also, Stephen insisted I take the course for free.

Zeljka of Monroi provided one of his laptops, Brian Fiedler got the hotel to provide a projector and screen in his AV package, Ted Winick provided a demo board (I forget to get a paper flipchart from him).

Hal, who was busy with another event in the evenings, took the time to offer his help for free and with contacting FIDE officials. There would have been no course without his participation.

This training is to help educate those running tournaments. It is important to have an army of certified TDs if, in the future, we wish to host any large FIDE events.

One thing that France has is an official arbiter to consult. I would like it if there could be some kind of Canadian network of Arbiters to consult if one comes across strange-looking pairings or computer-database endgame, etc. Arbiters could submit reports on decisions made to create a resource library. Also to make a list of players who withdraw and forfeit games.

Comment

Would there be enough students? Registered in advance to commit to the airfair? .
                I am sure that it is possible.

Comment

Re : Re: Appreciation for FIDE Arbiters' Seminar!!!

The Quebec arbiters would enjoy his stories of chess in France; There are major differences in how things are organized.
                  And major differences in results too.

Comment

This training is to help educate those running tournaments. It is important to have an army of certified TDs if, in the future, we wish to host any large FIDE events.
                    FIDE has inactivity rules for IA and FA. For FA, it is quite easy to remain active but it is much harder for IA because only the following tournaments counts

a. The final of the National Individual (adult) Championship (maximum two norms).
                    b. All official FIDE tournaments and matches.
                    c. International tournaments where FIDE title norms for players are possible.
                    d. International FIDE rated chess events with at least 100 players, at least 30% FIDE rated players, and at least 7 rounds (maximum one norm) .
                    e. All official World and Continental Rapid Championships (maximum one norm).

Being a match arbiter in an Olympiad is equivalent to one IA norm.

If we want to bring home the WYCC or the Olympiad, then it is true that we need a lot of FIDE certified arbiters. We also need to think about maintaining the active status of our arbiters. There is no use in being a lawyer if you are no longer a member of the Bar.

One thing that France has is an official arbiter to consult. I would like it if there could be some kind of Canadian network of Arbiters to consult if one comes across strange-looking pairings or computer-database endgame, etc. Arbiters could submit reports on decisions made to create a resource library. Also to make a list of players who withdraw and forfeit games.
                    This is an excellent idea. In France, despite an automatic suspension for forfeiting a game without valid reason, the players still continue to withdraw without notifying. the arbiter.

Comment

The results to the FIDE Arbiters' Seminar in Toronto are posted on the FIDE website.

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...to-canada.html

Congratulation to those passing the exam :)
                      Last edited by Simon Ong; Monday, 26th July, 2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Congrats!

But 8/14 passed.. wow.. I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of a sample test, is there one online or do they keep that secret?
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Congrats!

But 8/14 passed.. wow.. I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of a sample test, is there one online or do they keep that secret?
                          Ur the FA! How 'bout gunnin for the IA thru Hal next yr at Can Closed combined w/ kitchenerchessfest.Looks like the default,no:)

Comment

There are relatively few events in Canada that qualify as IA norms anymore. It is something I want to do at some point of course, and due to bad timing among other things I missed out on a norm chance at the Open this month. I don't think I can use any more Canadian Closed as norms. So all that is left is a) Official FIDE events b) Large Swisses 100+ players and c) Title events.

I became an FA before the test was required so I've never taken it.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                              There are relatively few events in Canada that qualify as IA norms anymore. It is something I want to do at some point of course, and due to bad timing among other things I missed out on a norm chance at the Open this month. I don't think I can use any more Canadian Closed as norms. So all that is left is a) Official FIDE events b) Large Swisses 100+ players and c) Title events.

I became an FA before the test was required so I've never taken it.
                              As I understand it...marks are adjusted so that 50% of those who participate will pass...I stand to be corrected ...as usual :)

Congratulations to those who succeeded!

Here is what was posted on the FIDE site:

From 14 to 16 July 2010 a FIDE Arbiters' Seminar was organized in Toronto, Canada, by the Canadian Chess Federation and under the auspices of FIDE. The venue of the Seminar was Harbour Castle Hotel.
                              The lecturer of the seminar was IA Stephen Boyd (FRA) and assistant lecturer was IA Hal Bond (CAN), member of the FIDE Arbiters' Commission.
                              14 National Arbiters from Canada attended the seminar. The following eight (8) succeeded in the examination test that was held after the lectures and will be awarded a norm for the title of FIDE Arbiter, after the approval of the next FIDE Congress:

Thomas R. Rehmeier (CAN)
                              Bryan Lamb (CAN)
                              Stuart Brammall (CAN)
                              Frank Dixon (CAN)
                              Alex Lambruschini (CAN)
                              Erik Malmsten (CAN)
                              Michael Humphreys (CAN)
                              Michael von Keitz (CAN)

IA Panagiotis Nikolopoulos
                              Chairman
                              FIDE Arbiters' Commission

Comment