What's your top reason for playing chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your top reason for playing chess?

This is a poll that asks respondents to choose their top reason as to why they like to play chess. Regrettably I am limited to ten choices for possible answers to a chesstalk poll, so I have slightly merged some similar reasons into single choices.
    The beauty of the pieces on a chessboard
    0.00%
    Social aspect (e.g. making new friends)
    7.69%
    Sporting aspect (e.g. thrill of winning/drawing/time pressure)
    33.33%
    Scientific aspect (e.g. home analysis)
    2.56%
    Artistic aspect (e.g. combinations/planning)
    17.95%
    Winning prizes (e.g. cash/trophies)
    0.00%
    Self-improvement (e.g. rating increase/knowledge/quest for titles)
    7.69%
    Room for disagreement (e.g. in post mortems/stylistic differences)
    0.00%
    Other
    20.51%
    No single outstanding top reason
    10.26%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: What's your top reason for playing chess?

Just for fun. :P

Comment

pretty much solely for bughouse side events
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Great questions Kevin. I play for the sport and the beauty of the combinations, but I teach it to kids for quite another reason. I think chess can be used to impart many useful live lessons and skills.

Comment

It seems this poll can't be too bad since so far it's getting above a 10% response rate from those who view, which to me seems about the average for chesstalk polls.

There also seems to be a clear trend for the large majority to be split between the two choices of the sporting vs. artistic aspect of the game as their top reason for playing chess.

Maybe the results of the poll will help any CFC efforts meant to promote the game, though I know I am being optimistic :).

Comment

It's a hard choice since all are interesting, but in the end, what I do more probably is to socialize, and so answered that. The plan is to travel more and further to play in tournaments now, attaching real vacations to it :)

Alex F.

Comment

One day I overheard an older player saying that he liked the arguments in the post mortems, so I included that under the 'Room for disagreement' choice.

The first reason I was attracted to chess was simply the beauty of the pieces on the chessboard, so I put that as an option. The novelty of this form of chess beauty faded, but it remains a minor reason why I like the game. It surfaces in a big way when I see a decorative chess set (i.e. non-Staunton design). Over the years when I go into some peoples' homes I notice that sometimes they have decorative chess sets on their coffeetables. These are not just competitive chessplayers, but everyday people.

I included playing for prizes as a reason in case there is someone who is quite successful in this regard, or if they still hope to be so...I felt it was worth identifying this reason seperately from playing for the sporting aspect of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                Just for fun. :P
                So, chess is an amusing pastime in other words?

That may beg the question though. Above all, what makes chess fun for you?

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                  pretty much solely for bughouse side events
                  So, is it that you can't find many games of bughouse (aka double or Siamese chess?!) of whatever quality that you enjoy, outside of before or after the rounds of the normal chess events in which you play in anyway?

Or is it that you have lots of quality bughouse chess in your area, outside of normal chess events, but you can't get enough of bughouse?
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 21st July, 2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I enjoy it because there is no luck involved. You win/lose/draw solely on your own ability to make good moves. This is the #1 reason why I don't play any card games or games involving dice.

Comment

Hmmm

Well, I think there's something to it when people wish each other good luck before their chess games ;).

Comment

escapism..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stanford View Post
                          escapism..
                          That might be another way of saying that chess is an absorbing pastime or form of entertainment, which might lead again to the question of what is it that makes it so...

I once thought of having chess as a theme park/resort idea, with Alice in Wonderland playsets for the kids, audio/video study material available for rooms, Simuls and lessons by employed house GMs, swimming pools with floating chess sets, ballrooms with chess decor for couples to dance in, cinemas with chess related movies, chess TV programs, machines that play chess for quarters...then I got no response on chess message boards whatsoever for the idea. I thought the idea must have been an overdose of a good thing, but later I heard there have been chess resorts in the world, and there have even been cruises with GMs on board giving lessons, simuls and socializing...
                          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 24th July, 2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X