Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chess club in Toronto

Hello,

There is an idea of opening the new chess club in Toronto. The club will be located on Younge and Finch, which makes it easily accessible by public transport. Also there is a large TTC parking near by (free on weekends). Three separate rooms can be used, each of them accommodates up to 20 people. It means, theoretically, we can have blitz in one room, “serious” games in another, and lecture or other kinds of discussions in the third. Currently, the time which is available is Sunday from 10 AM till 2 PM, but, depending on demand, Saturday can be an option too.
    Before I move ahead with this, I’d like to have a rough estimation of how many people would be interested, and also to hear suggestions on what you expect from chess club to provide.

Thanks.

Re: New chess club in Toronto

Originally posted by Vladimir Birarov View Post
    Hello,

There is an idea of opening the new chess club in Toronto. The club will be located on Younge and Finch, which makes it easily accessible by public transport. Also there is a large TTC parking near by (free on weekends). Three separate rooms can be used, each of them accommodates up to 20 people. It means, theoretically, we can have blitz in one room, “serious” games in another, and lecture or other kinds of discussions in the third. Currently, the time which is available is Sunday from 10 AM till 2 PM, but, depending on demand, Saturday can be an option too.
    Before I move ahead with this, I’d like to have a rough estimation of how many people would be interested, and also to hear suggestions on what you expect from chess club to provide.

Thanks.
    Any chance to move a meeting date to Friday night?

In any case I wish you success.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Any chance to move a meeting date to Friday night?
      I vote for Sundays so out-of-towners can attend occasionally.

Comment

Thank you, Egis.
        Sunday is the best day for me to start this project without putting too much effort (and money:() in it.

Comment

Thank you, Egis.
          Sunday is the best day for me to start this project without putting too much effort (and money:() in it.

Hi Vladimir,

At Chess'n Math/Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant (South of Eglinton) in Toronto we have basement space for 20 people...sets are provided...I wanted to do something with the space but made only a feeble attempt a number of months ago. If this is something that could interest you, please send me an e-mail at bevand@chess-math.org.

Good luck with your project!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Hi Vladimir,

At Chess'n Math/Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant (South of Eglinton) in Toronto we have basement space for 20 people...sets are provided...I wanted to do something with the space but made only a feeble attempt a number of months ago. If this is something that could interest you, please send me an e-mail at bevand@chess-math.org.

Good luck with your project!

Larry
            Hi Larry,

Thank you for information ... I just don't see how this option is better than what I have right now. Here also boards, sets and even :) clocks won't be an issue. The biggest thing is people, and meanwhile I don't see this draws too much attention

Comment

Hi Vlad,

How much the membership fee?
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by David Bowers View Post
                I vote for Sundays so out-of-towners can attend occasionally.
                David, let me know when you will be visiting Toronto.

We play Saturday and Sunday in North York Public Library, but in summer time outside on the benches beside the library (weather permitted) from 1pm - 10pm.

5120 Yonge St.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                  Hi Vlad,

How much the membership fee?
                  It is tough question, Ernest. I don’t see how I can answer it right now :o. I invite you and everyone else to visit free for the first time. You will see the place, we will talk about what would you like the club to do (as I said: blitz tournaments, CFC rated ones, lectures etc), I will see how much people are willing to participate on more or less permanent basis, and then it will be much clearer what membership fees the club can offer. Please, pass this invitation to all the players who might be interested.

Comment

It is tough question, Ernest. I don’t see how I can answer it right now :o.
                    Please don't take it personally, and I appreciate what you trying to do but you have to and answer tough questions first, otherwise you just fooling yourself and everybody else. Until the future of Jerusalem can be decided there will be no peace in Middle East. No matter how many future "concessions" will be made or how nice and big, three rooms in the club.

Comment

The biggest thing is people, and meanwhile I don't see this draws too much attention
                      While it is late, but the best timing was before the CO to start the process and to make a announcement or to give simple fliers during the CO.
                      Chesstalks might be read by many people but only several of them writes/answers. (and don't bother to write private messages or emails + divide that number by the Canada's area ;)

"“serious” games in another,"
                      Consider to host a FIDE rated closed type tournament (with the shortest available time control to fit into your time-frame)
                      Several years ago L.Henry did one, and it attracted about 15-20 people - two sections FIDE and CFCs.
                      Having an experience you might bid for the Toronto Closed :)
                      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 23rd July, 2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        While it is late, but the best timing was before the CO to start the process and to make a announcement or to give simple fliers during the CO.
                        Chesstalks might be read by many people but only several of them writes/answers. (and don't bother to write private messages or emails + divide that number by the Canada's area ;)
                        Of course, you are right but I'm not in rush here. I can start it anytime when there are enough people ready to play. Every one who reads this on ChessTalk can spread the news and … we’ll see. Flier is a good idea, and I'll try to make it ready for the next big tournament in our area which is ... (need your help here).
                        "FIDE rated tournament" - sure, why not? I just though to start with something less complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                          Please don't take it personally, and I appreciate what you trying to do but you have to and answer tough questions first, otherwise you just fooling yourself and everybody else. Until the future of Jerusalem can be decided there will be no peace in Middle East. No matter how many future "concessions" will be made or how nice and big, three rooms in the club.
                          Wow! I wonder who, in your opinion, should decide on "the future of Jerusalem" but this is for another topic (or we can discuss it when you come to the club :)).
                          As per our matter, I think I made a pretty good offer - come to see and play for free, help me estimate the situation, and, hopefully, at the end of your first visit you'll have all the information about fees. It doesn't take too much, does it? I even may bring home-made cookies on "first come - first eat" basis :D.

Comment

The location is very convenient for me and it is an easy way to travel there via TTC and the Viva. I think myself and many other players - (especially Juniors who rely on TTC / Viva) would appreciate it if the Toronto Closed as well as other FIDE rated, high-level events were held there.

~Jesse Wang.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
                              The location is very convenient for me and it is an easy way to travel there via TTC and the Viva. I think myself and many other players - (especially Juniors who rely on TTC / Viva) would appreciate it if the Toronto Closed as well as other FIDE rated, high-level events were held there.

~Jesse Wang.
                              Hello Jesse,

Couldn't agree with you more about the location. Next year Toronto Closed is, definitely, the option. And, yes we also can handle FIDE rated tournaments. Right now I can think about 8-9 players with FIDE rating (myself included :)) who might play. Hopefully, it will be more.
                              If you can sent me private message with your contact info, and maybe others who is interested to play, it will help.

Thanks,
                              Vlad.

Comment

Working...
                              X